Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Personally, I think this flag discussion in the face of what happened is a distraction and seems to have been perpetuated by national media in order to create additional controversy. However, the idea of this kind of suggestion does, frankly, give me a bit of a chuckle because it WOULD displease both sides. In other words, no one wins because when it comes to that flag, that will always be the case - no one wins. I'm purely apathetic about that flag though so there's that.
Exactly. I haven't even heard the flag on the Capitol argument at all recently till just yesterday. This was put to bed years ago when they moved it off the actual building. The media tried really hard to get the Walter Scott thing to rile people up. Outsiders flew down here to incite hate and riots and when that didn't materialize they disappeared and traveled on to infect Baltimore. The media followed them because They hate it when everyone is on the same side.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:05 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Great video. Taking down that flag really would be the perfect response to this tragedy -- a bold act of defiance towards people who want to inflame racial tensions, by moving in the complete opposite direction. It would be similar to our building the freedom tower in the same spot where the twin towers stood, a giant symbolic "f*ck you" to the terrorists.
Hmm, I'll be honest, I am just irritated because of the fact outsiders are trying to make it a controversy. It's like family in a way. We know we can be critical of those in our family when we have someone acting like an idiot but lord forbid someone else points it out.

I'm telling you there are plenty of people who would be in favor of removing the flag but not because outsiders told us to do it. So, I guess it's a timing thing?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
C'mon now... having a memorial to African Americans does not make it right to fly the Confederate flag. Only 2 states are doing it.... why? Maybe no one is talking about it here, but they SHOULD be. It's an embarassment. The media isn't reporting the memorial because, um, there was a racial based mass murder, not a celebration of race. So are you saying that we get a pass on the flag because of the memorial?
I think perhaps my point is lost on you. I'm talking about the cherry picking going on that I find irritating.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM

515 posts, read 482,521 times
Quote:
I think perhaps my point is lost on you. I'm talking about the cherry picking going on that I find irritating.
There is no cherry picking. The relevance of the memorial to this situation is zero. The flag IS relevant.

"Outsiders"? Seriously? Aren't we all the same? We are all Americans. People who want to sweep this under the rug aren't seeing the big picture of tacit State government acceptance of a racist symbol.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
There is no cherry picking. The relevance of the memorial to this situation is zero. The flag IS relevant.

"Outsiders"? Seriously? Aren't we all the same? We are all Americans. People who want to sweep this under the rug aren't seeing the big picture of tacit State government acceptance of a racist symbol.
Well, guess we'll just have to disagree. I'm not too interested in non-South Carolinians telling us what to do or think. That's pretty much what I think national media is trying to do right now.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Well, guess we'll just have to disagree. I'm not too interested in non-South Carolinians telling us what to do or think. That's pretty much what I think national media is trying to do right now.
Unfortunately, it's that insular attitude that has prevented SC from learning from states that are doing some things right and consequently has kept it mired towards the bottom of the good lists and the top of the bad lists.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unfortunately, it's that insular attitude that has prevented SC from learning from states that are doing some things right and consequently has kept it mired towards the bottom of the good lists and the top of the bad lists.
Hmm. There's a big difference between us deciding what we should or should not do and having others tell us what is best for us. And I do not think that keeps us 'mired towards the bottom'. We're adults and we can look at what's out there as examples and see what's going on and decide whether something is good for our state or not. You know, state sovereignty and all that.

IF the national media were reporting on a conversation that started organically here in SC, that would be one thing. But they're not. They are the ones that created the 'conversation' and are trying to pass it off as being something all of us are talking about. That's irritating.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
So my first question still stands. Should we remove all confederate memorials?
Yes, IMO MANY of the monuments and the flag are offensive. They are offensive to a large percentage of the population and therefore should be removed from public property.

If you want a place of "honor" for these monuments - then go buy one and set up all the statues you want.

If one person's opinion is not enough to move you, then hold a referendum. If 33 (or some other significant percentage of the population objects), then remove them.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-19-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yes. They are offensive to a large percentage of the population and therefore should be removed from public property.

If you want a place of "honor" for these monuments - then go buy one and set up all the statue you want.
Wait. You think all monuments should be removed or the flag? Just trying to clarify as I thought this thread was about the flag.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 AM

260 posts, read 299,779 times
Quote:
Hmm, I'll be honest, I am just irritated because of the fact outsiders are trying to make it a controversy. It's like family in a way. We know we can be critical of those in our family when we have someone acting like an idiot but lord forbid someone else points it out.

I'm telling you there are plenty of people who would be in favor of removing the flag but not because outsiders told us to do it. So, I guess it's a timing thing?
If it's like a family shouldn't you have sympathy to African Americans South Carolinians who don't like the flag or does their opinion even matter to you?. Your being very condescending. You don't know what's best.

This is the attitude that i see from a lot of Confederate flag supporters. They seem to suggest black people aren't intelligent enough to have an opinion on the flag.

The term "BOY" and the rhetoric used in the 50's is coded now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina