Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
This would be much simpler if they just use the original Confederate national flag with the red and white stripes and the 13 stars in a circle. It still represents southern sacrifice and heritage it isn't used in any hate groups that I know of and 99% of Americans wouldn't know what it is anyway.

The problem with the battle flag is that it just looks too awesome. Its an example of great branding. Its bold, simple, and makes a big statement whatever that statement is interpreted to be. Seriously, look at it compared to Nebraska's state flag ( a blue flag with a boring state seal on it....real original..yawn). The battle flag is so recognizable that everybody from the Son's of Confederate Veterans to the KKK to random individuals unaffiliated with any organization whatsoever want it to represent them in some way. The rest of the country is just jealous they don't have a great looking regional flag that represents them.

Take the pirate flag for example, its such a good flag that hundreds of years later we hang it on everything. My dad's squadron had it painted on the tails of their aircraft. Disney has a ride themed after it. Even kids toys and cartoons have the skull and crossbones on them now. I see it on about every other boat in the harbor. Everybody loves pirates (unless they're Somalian), but nobody cares to remember that it began as a terrorist insignia.
It's kind of a genius proposal to say let's use the CSA national flag. It would quickly show if it's really about sacrifice people want to support or not. In other words, it would quickly reveal the honest motivations of those people who want to keep the flag if the offer was to put the CSA national flag up on the memorial instead of the battle flag. In a lot of ways, would be a brilliant political move to make this suggestion.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:25 AM

135 posts, read 167,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It's kind of a genius proposal to say let's use the CSA national flag. It would quickly show if it's really about sacrifice people want to support or not. In other words, it would quickly reveal the honest motivations of those people who want to keep the flag if the offer was to put the CSA national flag up on the memorial instead of the battle flag. In a lot of ways, would be a brilliant political move to make this suggestion.
It would fail miserably. The people who like the flag would hate it and the people who don't like the flag would hate it.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
It would fail miserably. The people who like the flag would hate it and the people who don't like the flag would hate it.
So, in other words, a perfect compromise. I still think it would be a brilliant political move.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:52 AM

135 posts, read 167,059 times
Quote:
So, in other words, a perfect compromise. I still think it would be a brilliant political move.
To alienate both sides of the issue? Touching the flag issue is political suicide.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
To alienate both sides of the issue? Touching the flag issue is political suicide.
Personally, I think this flag discussion in the face of what happened is a distraction and seems to have been perpetuated by national media in order to create additional controversy. However, the idea of this kind of suggestion does, frankly, give me a bit of a chuckle because it WOULD displease both sides. In other words, no one wins because when it comes to that flag, that will always be the case - no one wins. I'm purely apathetic about that flag though so there's that.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM

515 posts, read 482,521 times
Quote:
Personally, I think this flag discussion in the face of what happened is a distraction and seems to have been perpetuated by national media in order to create additional controversy. However, the idea of this kind of suggestion does, frankly, give me a bit of a chuckle because it WOULD displease both sides. In other words, no one wins because when it comes to that flag, that will always be the case - no one wins. I'm purely apathetic about that flag though so there's that.
Not really. Why wouldn't the media pick up on the hypocrisy of condemning the shooters views while proudly flying the symbol of racism and slavery on state grounds? There is no sensible reason for that flag to be given such prominence. Now is the time to show the rest of the country and the world that South Carolina doesn't stand for division and racial inequality.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Not really. Why wouldn't the media pick up on the hypocrisy of condemning the shooters views while proudly flying the symbol of racism and slavery on state grounds? There is no sensible reason for that flag to be given such prominence. Now is the time to show the rest of the country and the world that South Carolina doesn't stand for division and racial inequality.
Why hasn't the media picked up on the fact that South Carolina is one of the only states in the country with a memorial to African Americans on state grounds? I have an issue with cherry picking is all. Besides, the media is trying to act like we're ALL talking about the flag in Charleston and they're 'just reporting the news' and that's a false narrative. Why don't they come out and be honest and say they're the one who brought up the question to begin with? Honestly, I could care less about the flag but media creating controversy does irritate me.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:53 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times
I guess not really anybody watched Job Stewart. Hmm. For all you flag supporters, can you tell me why SC really needs to keep this flag up when all other states have taken it down?

Even the diehard southern states of Bama, Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Miss, etc. have taken it down, so why should SC still keep it up? I really dont get this mentality.

Thats like all states but one legalizing gay marriage, or all states but one having dropping obesity rates, or all states but one legalizing MJ. Why would you want to be that one state? Getting all kinds of negative attention.

You always here people say "dont be that guy.' Well, when it comes to the flag, we're "that guy", and its hurting our image. Heritage my butt. It needs to go. No one is stopping you from worshipping that flag in your living room.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:54 AM

503 posts, read 530,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
For anyone that :

1. Still thinks this flag is a good idea...
2. Is still blaming the shooters action on "mental illness"...
3. Still want to deny this had to do with race, please watch this video from Jon Stewart. Nobody can say it better than he can.

The world knows about us. And today, not for the right reasons. Watch. Its 5 minutes, but 5 minutes of truth. We have to do something. No more waiting until the next time.

https://youtu.be/SaW47WxcwPQ

This is not Al Sharpton. Not Jesse Jackson. Not Pres Obama. Not CNN. Not Fox News. Its Jon Stewart. And if what he says (which is not scripted) doesnt stick with you and show you the problem, I have no hope for you.
Great video. Taking down that flag really would be the perfect response to this tragedy -- a bold act of defiance towards people who want to inflame racial tensions, by moving in the complete opposite direction. It would be similar to our building the freedom tower in the same spot where the twin towers stood, a giant symbolic "f*ck you" to the terrorists.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:56 AM

515 posts, read 482,521 times
Quote:
Why hasn't the media picked up on the fact that South Carolina is one of the only states in the country with a memorial to African Americans on state grounds? I have an issue with cherry picking is all. Besides, the media is trying to act like we're ALL talking about the flag in Charleston and they're 'just reporting the news' and that's a false narrative. Why don't they come out and be honest and say they're the one who brought up the question to begin with? Honestly, I could care less about the flag but media creating controversy does irritate me.
C'mon now... having a memorial to African Americans does not make it right to fly the Confederate flag. Only 2 states are doing it.... why? Maybe no one is talking about it here, but they SHOULD be. It's an embarassment. The media isn't reporting the memorial because, um, there was a racial based mass murder, not a celebration of race. So are you saying that we get a pass on the flag because of the memorial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina