Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
The American Flag is also used by hate groups. Should we ban it too?
The difference is that the American Flag is the current flag of our country; the Confederate Flag is not.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:05 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The difference is that the American Flag is the current flag of our country; the Confederate Flag is not.
Correct. That is why it should be welcomed in Museums and at Confederate memorials.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
Quote:
Correct. That is why it should be welcomed in Museums and at Confederate memorials.
Museums, fine, but not on public grounds. It's an embarrassment to our state.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Museums, fine, but not on public grounds. It's an embarrassment to our state.
Museums ARE public.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,050,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
American Flags are at half staff to show respect for the victims of the horrible mass murders at the historic black church in Charleston, which was an obvious hate crime.

The spotlight is now on our great southern state. It is time for us to recognize that we should move on from what happened here 150 years ago. It certainly wasn't the best four years for the south, nor the time before and after when it concerned racism and slavery.

Here’s the thing. I’m a white person who has lived in the South for over ten years and love this part of our great country. There are plenty of aspects of Southern culture that I am actually very proud of: the food, the hospitality, the acts of kindness toward strangers that visit our area. That's the southern pride and tradition that people know.

But I am not proud of racism. Our state has to be better than that and show the rest of America and the world who are now watching us, that we are not the same state you saw in 1865.

It's time to move on...retire the Confederate flag at the State House.
As a life long resident of SC, I agree. It's time.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Trending on Twiiter. 120K tweets so far with the word confederate. Plenty of pictures of the state house and the flag flying. Most people that dont live here and do are commenting on how horrible and hypocritical a state we are. Its a worldwide trend.

This one flag has casted us in a negative light with the other 48 (Mississippi still has theres) and overseas. Its a big deal on the 24 hour news channels, and major publications too. With Walter Scott, this massacre, and this flag, we're getting alot of negative press.

Take it down and leave it down. Show people weve Progressed. Somewhat.
I don't see South Carolina suffering insofar as encouraging new manufacturing and growth due the flying of the confederate flag at the state capital. Do you have any facts that say we are loosing economic growth due to the confederate flag? Like the flag or not, we are a growing state, and I am pretty happy about that.

Personally, I don't care what the other states think. This is my home. Flag be damned. Fly it or not, I don't really care. This is my home and I am proud of it. But really, if we put that much stock in what other people think about us, then we have a greater identity problem. I say take some pride in who we are as South Carolinians and who cares what the other states think.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:46 PM

515 posts, read 482,521 times
Quote:
Maybe we should remove all confederate memorials too.

Like it or not, this country was created by rebels. A group of patriots started a revolution against an oppressive state. The confederacy is the same thing. The Union was infringing upon individual states rights.so a revolution wa born. However, the confederacy lost. Doesn't diminish the the fact that people stood up for what they thought were their rights. Those people should still be honored in history by flying their flag at a memorial in their honor.

I agree that The flag doesn't belong alone anywhere and especially on top of any state government building. It was rightly removed from the statehouse dome. And placed where it belongs at the memorial to the fallen confederate dead. If you feel the it's position is too prominent at the end of Main St. in front of the Statehouse, then start a petition to move the monument to a place of less prominence somewhere else on the grounds. But it definitely belongs somewhere on the Statehouse grounds.
Are you kidding? States rights? You mean the right to own slaves, and that is somehow worth honoring???

Maybe the Germans should honor the SS too. They were just standing up for their rights.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Highly probable, but personally like to see some evidence before making accusations. YMMV.
If it walks like a duck, quack likes a duck, travels two hours to a historically Black church to do the deed.....I think it is safe to assume it was racially motivated. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut -- and the racially charged patches on the jacket and the Confederate Flag reference and the racial slurs uttered at the time of the shooting.

Yup -- I'll go out on a limb.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:03 PM

I believe Iam4USC was referring to the soldiers that fought, not to the idealism of slavery in itself. Comparing his post to Nazi Germany is probably unfair.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Are you kidding? States rights? You mean the right to own slaves, and that is somehow worth honoring???

Maybe the Germans should honor the SS too. They were just standing up for their rights.

Apologies, my post was meant for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina