Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 11:58 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Hmm, I'll be honest, I am just irritated because of the fact outsiders are trying to make it a controversy. It's like family in a way. We know we can be critical of those in our family when we have someone acting like an idiot but lord forbid someone else points it out.

I'm telling you there are plenty of people who would be in favor of removing the flag but not because outsiders told us to do it. So, I guess it's a timing thing?
Removing the flag because of one loon would give him the win. Imagine if terror group decides to use the American flag for their emblem and we respond by changing it? Talk about getting owned. This is just one kid with his own agenda who isn't affiiated with an actual group.

This kid is always shown wearing a couple African flags anyway. Nobody knew what they meant until some journalist pointed it out, now everybody is an African history expert. The same journalist pointed out his Facebook page was friends with a lot of blacks as well. But we'll all forget that because it clouds our definition of racist. Who knows what's going on with this clown. I really don't care. I didn't care the agenda of the Sandyhook shooter, the movie theater shooter, or the Boston Marathon bombers. I refuse to remember their names or agenda. Just execute them quickly, then forget they ever existed so they can die in forgotten obscurity.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:59 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unfortunately, it's that insular attitude that has prevented SC from learning from states that are doing some things right and consequently has kept it mired towards the bottom of the good lists and the top of the bad lists.
This is such a good point!

Old 06-19-2015, 11:59 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
I am just shaking my head at this. Please re-read your words and tell me that it doesn't sound completely ridiculous coming out of an educated adult's mouth.
I don't see why you can't accept that someone else doesn't think exactly like you think. Look, if South Carolinians want to remove the flag - cool. But the thing is, it wasn't South Carolinians who said 'hey, isn't it time we take down the flag'. It was media trying to make South Carolina look bad and create something that would cause more ratings. So yeah, I have an issue with that.

I wouldn't dream of telling New Yorkers how to react to the World Trade Center attack so why is it okay for other people tell South Carolina how it should react to this tragedy?

I can respect opinions like JAndrew's because he's been the same all along, saying the same things all along, even if we may disagree occasionally (like on building heights). I guess it's my dislike of national media coming to roost here. Like I said, I think some of y'all are missing my point but it's the internet, that's bound to happen.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:02 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
If it's like a family shouldn't you have sympathy to African Americans South Carolinians who don't like the flag or does their opinion even matter to you?. Your being very condescending. You don't know what's best.

This is the attitude that i see from a lot of Confederate flag supporters. They seem to suggest black people aren't intelligent enough to have an opinion on the flag.

The term "BOY" and the rhetoric used in the 50's is coded now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, you think it actually works like that? You don't think things like special interests, political power, etc. play absolutely no role here? You think things flow in such a smooth, straightforward way in such a complex society? Or do you think that SC purposely has aspirations for bad roads, bad schools, high tuition, and the like?

And let't not even talk about the "outsiders" rhetoric when it comes to civil rights.

There are very few issues that all South Carolinians are talking about. Black South Carolinians haven't forgotten about the flag and still have conversations about it, but I guess that doesn't count since they aren't the majority.
Seriously, y'all, I thought this was known. I'm not white. I'm actually mixed race - my Dad is black (although originally from South Georgia). So, I'm not quite sure why y'all are talking to me like I don't know what's going on in our community?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM

515 posts, read 482,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Removing the flag because of one loon would give him the win. Imagine if terror group decides to use the American flag for their emblem and we respond by changing it? Talk about getting owned. This is just one kid with his own agenda who isn't affiiated with an actual group.
Does anyone else feel dumber having just read this?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Seriously, y'all, I thought this was known. I'm not white. I'm actually mixed race - my Dad is black (although originally from South Georgia). So, I'm not quite sure why y'all are talking to me like I don't know what's going on in our community?
There are Black people who don't know what's going on in the Black community. *shrugs*

Old 06-19-2015, 12:06 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
For anyone that :

1. Still thinks this flag is a good idea...
2. Is still blaming the shooters action on "mental illness"...
3. Still want to deny this had to do with race, please watch this video from Jon Stewart. Nobody can say it better than he can.

The world knows about us. And today, not for the right reasons. Watch. Its 5 minutes, but 5 minutes of truth. We have to do something. No more waiting until the next time.

https://youtu.be/SaW47WxcwPQ

This is not Al Sharpton. Not Jesse Jackson. Not Pres Obama. Not CNN. Not Fox News. Its Jon Stewart. And if what he says (which is not scripted) doesnt stick with you and show you the problem, I have no hope for you.
Since I have repped you before, I cannot rep you again. However, Jon Stewart's points are spot-on!

I feel very passionately about the confederate flag. I am a transplant and have expressed my opposition when I first moved here. Thus, I will not make any substantive comment in this thread, just to keep my blood pressure from sky-rocketing.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:10 PM

135 posts, read 167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Exactly. I guess I'm an outsider because I moved here from up north too. I wasn't under any illusion that my opinion would be the majority, but this kind of thinking really is making me question wanting to raise my children here. I hope that most people in this state don't think this way.
You're free to leave.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 PM

260 posts, read 299,819 times
Quote:
Yet you're "APATHETIC" towards the flag. Why are you here if you're apathetic? You seem to be the opposite of apathetic. "OUTSIDERS" what does this even mean? I really feel sorry for you. Read up on the 16th street baptist church bombing. It was the "OUTSIDERS" that got the truth for those little girls.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:14 PM

515 posts, read 482,521 times
Quote:
I don't see why you can't accept that someone else doesn't think exactly like you think. Look, if South Carolinians want to remove the flag - cool. But the thing is, it wasn't South Carolinians who said 'hey, isn't it time we take down the flag'. .
But we do agree. You are for taking it down, but NOT because some outsider told you too. Isn't that silly?

My impression is that the majority do want it down, but our elected officials are against it. Like our governor.

South Carolina capitol's Confederate flag is campaign issue - Post and Courier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina