Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 01:35 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,862,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
The reason why you'd want to take down the confederate flag at the capitol is because it would send a powerful symbolic message to those who would divide us along racial lines that we are instead becoming more unified. It has nothing to do with the confederate flag "causing" the tragedy. Obviously a flag cannot cause a terrorist act and to suggest anyone believes that is ridiculous.

Here's another example for people who are logic-challenged and can't follow what's happening here: you send the family of someone who died flowers. The person did not die due to a lack of flowers -- your response has no causal relationship to the event. You do it because it is the right way to publicly express your feelings.

Uh - oh, you expressed an adult thought there - that should get you banned quick on C-D!!

Old 06-19-2015, 01:36 PM

515 posts, read 483,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I'm talking about at the actual memorial, not some graves.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,474,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
But yet, an inanimate flag somehow "inspired" the shooter - think he might of hated blacks with or without the flag? Or is that thought too adult for your child mind to handle? Get rid of your own racism first and grow up.

Stop blaming inanimate objects for peoples' evil behavior.
I DIDNT SAY THAT. to you!

Old 06-19-2015, 01:48 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,979,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
I'm talking about at the actual memorial, not some graves.
The actual memorial doesn't have a flag pole. I assume if we just adorned the statehouse with thousands of little grave sized Confederate flags you'd be cool with that? So this whole time it was just one big flag that was the problem?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:55 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,983,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
On the P&C's website, 59% want the flag down, 29% want it up. Hmm..

Who is P&C (politically correct or something to do with Jon Stewart?) This battle has been fought long ago in our legislature when the flag was removed from the top of our Capitol and placed on the Capitol grounds. Perhaps you were still in diapers at that time or just a gleam in your dad's eye.

Are you aware since that time the NAACP has a boycott in place against the State of South Carolina (July 1999) but we still have Black Biker week at Atlantic Beach, we still have blacks in our grocery stores, clothing stores, auto dealerships. So the SC Black population has not paid any attention to the NAACP boycott over the flag. Talk to blacks, most are not even aware there is a boycott. The boycott may have been removed this year because the Globetrotters did play in Columbia.

In the next election you need to get aboard and run for the South Carolina House of Representatives or Senate. Then you can write a Bill to have the flag removed. In the meantime email, call or write letters to your SC Senator or House Rep in Columbia, tell them what you think assuming you are a registered voter.

The Confederate Flag on the Capitol grounds IS NOT the reason nine good black people are dead in Charleston.

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 06-19-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
If you haven't realized it or not ...the flag issue is always brought up. I've been in California and when i mentioned i was from SC one of the questions i always get is about racial tensions. That leads into questioning about why the flag is still on the statehouse at all. I've been on the grounds and have heard visitors looking at it and questioning why it's still there. I've been asked about that flag here in Alabama of all places as people have tried to pedestal this state over SC for having better racial relations. Just last year Nikki Haley was asked about the flag and she basically said it didn't matter because CEOs haven't asked her about it. Several of my family and friends have to talk about the flag often because they live in Columbia and have to explain "the compromise". I'll say it again... incident that happens bad in SC....they show the flag in Columbia which is the one area in the state that a majority of the people can't stand the sight of it. Like i mentioned before...it's easy to distance yourself from the image of the flag when it's not in your city but that city takes the heat for it.

I honestly don't think people who don't live in Columbia actually know how often that frickin flag is brought up.
This is what California is worried about? The home of Bloods and Crips, gangsta rap, recent race riots, extreme income disparity, high taxes and terrible roads, rampant illegal immigration, high crime, and they're worried about what flag is on a memorial in SC? A little self reflection will do them good.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,776,978 times
It doesn't have to be. It's still an obnoxious symbol of racism.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 PM

110 posts, read 116,861 times
Most racists are not shooting anybody. The killer obviously had some other issues, pyschological problems, dropping out of school in 9th grade and not working, take a medication associated with rage spirals. He obviously is not bright if he thought shooting some people at a church would start a race war.

Thankfully we live in a state that supports death penalty.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Oh, a transplant? Well ive lived here all my life, so technically by your logic, my opinion holds more weight and matters more. And I think it should come down. It shouldve been down a long time ago.

You keep thinking only translpants want it down and youre so wrong. We know how black people feel about, but the logic here is that every white person that is orginally from SC wants it up and every white person thats from the North wants it down, and thats FALSE.

So dont tell me me to leave. This is MY state more than it is yours (by your logic). Just because I dont agree doesnt mean I need to leave. Our education ranks is horrible. Im an SC resident, I can complain about it, especially if its true. Im not gonna run away from the problem.

Telling someone to leave because they dont agree that a piece of cloth that was cherished by people whose main purpose of fighting a war was to keep another race beneath them should be left up, and is embarrasing, is moronic and is ignorant, being a transplant, you definately dont have to the right.

Say its for heritage all you want, it brings negative connotations with it, and most of the country and every state but 1 sees that. People OVERSEAS see it. Its sad the excuses yall give. But dont dare tell me to leave, when you werent even born here. Just because you "didnt want to change anything" when you moved here, that means jack s---t to me. South Carolina needs change in many sectors, and as a life long resident, im not going to run away, im going to see the state pushed FORWARD. Getting rid of the damn cloth is FORWARD progress.
Our education ranks have what exactly to do with the flag? Being here before me just means you think of yourself as stuck here. I came here because I like it. Roads could be smoother but changing the flag won't fix that either. People overseas? People I meet in Europe think America consists of California, New York, Florida, and Texas. They know there are other states but don't really know the difference between Nebraska and Alabama anymore than Americans know the difference between Andorra and Luxemberg. There's a bar in Monaco I went to called "The Stars and Bars" and had an American theme mostly consisting of Texas license plates and cowboy boots adorning the place. I wouldn't weigh their opinions too highly. If you can't see the flag for what it is then you're the one with the problem. If most people here had a problem with it, it would have been taken down years ago by their popularly elected officials.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:16 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,983,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
This is what California is worried about? The home of Bloods and Crips, gangsta rap, recent race riots, extreme income disparity, high taxes and terrible roads, rampant illegal immigration, high crime, and they're worried about what flag is on a memorial in SC? A little self reflection will do them good.

My main concern in California would be .... water.

I was born and raised in South Carolina and in my travels I have never been asked about the flag. When my husband returned from Vietnam and we were stationed in Maryland I was asked by a woman from NY if blacks still had to ride in the back of the bus. I asked if she had ever heard of Rosa Parks.

The Confederate flag on the Capitol grounds DID NOT murder the nine black people in Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina