Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,958,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
That is because it doesn't exist.
Since you're too lazy and I've been there and you haven't. : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conf...ional_Cemetery)

Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,973,525 times
From this informative post I have ascertained; a evil guy entered a house of worship, was welcomed by the group. Then even set down and listened to the prayers and Bible reading and then ... because the Confederate fly is flying on the Capitol grounds he pulls out a Glock and kills nine people.

So if we had removed the flag completely these nine black good Christian people would be alive today. Perhaps Charleston policeman Michael Slager shot black Walter Scott in the back, under the influence of the Confederate flag flying on the Capitol grounds.

I guess it's time to remove the bronze stars on the Capitol that marks the spots hit by Sherman's cannons.

I was born and raised in South Carolina and the Confederate flag flying has never bothered me one way or another. They can take it down or leave it alone. When I see a Confederate flag I do not see ... "You an' me, we sweat an' strain, body all achin' and racked with pain. "Tote that barge! Lift that bale." History cannot be re-written.

A positive here, we didn't see in other parts of the US, the murderer was apprehended quick and will probably face a death sentence, yes we believe in killing them down here. Same with the policeman that shot Mr. Scott he was promptly arrested.

Any of you posting here trashing South Carolina that don't live here, please don't move here. Blaming a Confederate flag on the Capitol grounds for this horrendous and evil act is absurd. Also Jon Stewart is a comedian and it's sad if anyone depends upon him as their news source.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I had lunch today with a friend who said she has changed her opinion about the Confederate flag and that it is time for it to come down. She said taking it down now would be a tremendous gesture and that she can now see how having it visible helps keep the Confederacy on the minds of people who have evil thoughts toward black people whether as a result of their upbringing or as the result of a sick hobby they adopted later in life. And let me tell you: without a doubt, if SHE changed HER mind on this, a whole HECK of a lot of people have GOT to be changing theirs, too, as they think about what just happened.
Why on Earth would anyone change their mind because of what happened? This is one kid right? We're supposed to take down the flag because of one loon? Do you really think this was because of a flag flying at the Capitol? Hate to think what your reaction was after 911.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 PM

515 posts, read 482,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Since you're too lazy and I've been there and you haven't. : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conf...ional_Cemetery)
Where is the FLAG though?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Hmm let me say for the THOUSANDTH time. Millions of people who lived here all there lives want it down. Its a frigging embarrasement that out of 50 states, we're the only ones that cant let go.

Again. Why do you want to be "that Guy?" Some of you are so ignorant, calling out transplants. Do you know where this state would be if we werent getting migration?

Its so embarrasing. All the denial.

Yes I'm that guy. I'm a transplant but I didn't come here to change anything. I like it the way it is. Why people move here but don't like the values of the state they moved to is insane. There are plenty of places that don't have snow. Move somewhere else. If you're embarrassed then go to some place less embarrassing.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Where is the FLAG though?
Good god, this isnt that hard....Did Confederate Memorial Day close government offices in your state today?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,458,741 times
Quote:
Yes I'm that guy. I'm a transplant but I didn't come here to change anything. I like it the way it is. Why people move here but don't like the values of the state they moved to is insane. There are plenty of places that don't have snow. Move somewhere else. If you're embarrassed then go to some place less embarrassing.
Oh, a transplant? Well ive lived here all my life, so technically by your logic, my opinion holds more weight and matters more. And I think it should come down. It shouldve been down a long time ago.

You keep thinking only translpants want it down and youre so wrong. We know how black people feel about, but the logic here is that every white person that is orginally from SC wants it up and every white person thats from the North wants it down, and thats FALSE.

So dont tell me me to leave. This is MY state more than it is yours (by your logic). Just because I dont agree doesnt mean I need to leave. Our education ranks is horrible. Im an SC resident, I can complain about it, especially if its true. Im not gonna run away from the problem.

Telling someone to leave because they dont agree that a piece of cloth that was cherished by people whose main purpose of fighting a war was to keep another race beneath them should be left up, and is embarrasing, is moronic and is ignorant, being a transplant, you definately dont have to the right.

Say its for heritage all you want, it brings negative connotations with it, and most of the country and every state but 1 sees that. People OVERSEAS see it. Its sad the excuses yall give. But dont dare tell me to leave, when you werent even born here. Just because you "didnt want to change anything" when you moved here, that means jack s---t to me. South Carolina needs change in many sectors, and as a life long resident, im not going to run away, im going to see the state pushed FORWARD. Getting rid of the damn cloth is FORWARD progress.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:30 PM

503 posts, read 531,166 times
The reason why you'd want to take down the confederate flag at the capitol is because it would send a powerful symbolic message to those who would divide us along racial lines that we are instead becoming more unified. It has nothing to do with the confederate flag "causing" the tragedy. Obviously a flag cannot cause a terrorist act and to suggest anyone believes that is ridiculous.

Here's another example for people who are logic-challenged and can't follow what's happening here: you send the family of someone who died flowers. The person did not die due to a lack of flowers -- your response has no causal relationship to the event. You do it because it is the right way to publicly express your feelings.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:33 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,860,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I wonder why that is. Are they all "mental health" issues beause theyre all white shooters? White = mental heath, black = thug, brown = terrorist, Hispanic = illegal immigrant. Ah yes, lets stick with that natrative.

You say the race issue is a circus show...yet the punk said "i just wanted to kill blacks." But ya know, its not racial. HE SAID HIMSELF HE ATTACKED THOSE POOR PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. But the medias not addressing the cause?? Right. Hes not sane and just full of hate and prejudice. Hes just mentally challenged and misunderstood. Even though he said he did it out of race, the media shouldve left that alone because it would create a circus

I cant believe the comments I keep seeing here. I really cant. So much denial. Im sick.
But yet, an inanimate flag somehow "inspired" the shooter - think he might of hated blacks with or without the flag? Or is that thought too adult for your child mind to handle? Get rid of your own racism first and grow up.

Stop blaming inanimate objects for peoples' evil behavior.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:33 PM

293 posts, read 827,118 times
Quote:
Exactly. I haven't even heard the flag on the Capitol argument at all recently till just yesterday. This was put to bed years ago when they moved it off the actual building. The media tried really hard to get the Walter Scott thing to rile people up. Outsiders flew down here to incite hate and riots and when that didn't materialize they disappeared and traveled on to infect Baltimore. The media followed them because They hate it when everyone is on the same side.
If you haven't realized it or not ...the flag issue is always brought up. I've been in California and when i mentioned i was from SC one of the questions i always get is about racial tensions. That leads into questioning about why the flag is still on the statehouse at all. I've been on the grounds and have heard visitors looking at it and questioning why it's still there. I've been asked about that flag here in Alabama of all places as people have tried to pedestal this state over SC for having better racial relations. Just last year Nikki Haley was asked about the flag and she basically said it didn't matter because CEOs haven't asked her about it. Several of my family and friends have to talk about the flag often because they live in Columbia and have to explain "the compromise". I'll say it again... incident that happens bad in SC....they show the flag in Columbia which is the one area in the state that a majority of the people can't stand the sight of it. Like i mentioned before...it's easy to distance yourself from the image of the flag when it's not in your city but that city takes the heat for it.

I honestly don't think people who don't live in Columbia actually know how often that frickin flag is brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina