Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,059 times

Advertisements

I am a manager at gage brothers in sioux falls and the discrimination is horrid we are told not to promote people of color even if they are the most qualified some of the policies by the hr dept twords people of different races is just unheard of anywhere else, does anyone have any stoies to share of businesses in south dakota commiting simular acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,461 times
I used to work there for 5 years, I couldnt believe the things the office does with their powertrips I have never seen such a group that likes so much to play games with people, I have seen them fire people for just the fun of it so they can have something to talk about in the break room. They are even worse to colored people , there they make the colored people work and whites dont do anything but If the colored people did that they get yelled at.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,714 times
you think that is bad I have had friends who have had the same problems there and one who is hispanic said try to hire a lawer its crazy, I guess they have used almost every lawer in sioux falls to defend them or something, if you mention gage brothers to say that they cant not take the case because they have had defended them in similar cases and that it is a conflict of interest or something like that.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee844 View Post
I am a manager at gage brothers in sioux falls and the discrimination is horrid we are told not to promote people of color even if they are the most qualified some of the policies by the hr dept twords people of different races is just unheard of anywhere else, does anyone have any stoies to share of businesses in south dakota commiting simular acts.
You do know your company is in violation of federal law (not to mention common decency) don't you?
Either report them yourself, or tell the people concerned that they should. You're the manager - manage!
Here's the EEOC website:
http://www.eeoc.gov/

Old 08-17-2006, 06:59 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Paws has a very good point. You definitely need to report the things that are going on there.

It's so ironic that there's little posting on the SD board and yet three new people joined us yesterday and you are all three familiar with the same company. You're so lucky you found each other.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 34,114 times
You're a manager eh? I suppose you can do a few things. File a lawsuit (which some have stated that they can't win), bring it up to the owner.... assuming the owner isn't present, or....

If you really like the type of work you do, simply start your own company and undercut Gage Brothers. Simply put, keep track of the customer base, get to know the ins and outs of doing business including pricing and costs, and most importantly - surround yourself with good people.

Companies like those come and go. As a business manager myself, I can guarantee they will be out of business in a matter of time if someone just steps up to the plate, and competes.

Stay positive, and work the industry.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 13,090 times
Well is it like that in Spearfish too? My friend who is black is going to Black hills state next week and I dont want him to feel decrimnated against!!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Luv Music, I have lived in SD my entire life and I've never seen one act of discimination because of race. We have black people and Indians in our town and I'm unaware of any problems of discrimination. Your friend will be fine.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 AM

9 posts, read 34,114 times
I haven't seen any issues either. This problem is the first time I ever heard of anything serious.

I worked at Pizza Hut in Mitchell for a few years, where we had a black manager. Swear to god... he was the best boss I EVER had. Since then, I guess I just don't understand what other peoples' problems are all about.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,716 times
Default you think thats bad

Gosh they are bad there, if your white you can do anything you want, they hire alot in the prisons and they have a guy there that work for qc that spent most of his life in prison for beating a put near to death then raping him while he was unconscious, he goes around threating people all day and nothing happens to him. But then again he is white too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota