Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Looks like the closure right now is about 10 miles going by the exit numbers on the Iowa 511 road condtion map. Not too terribly far to detour.

Great photo find debey, thank you. Will take quite a bit of time to scroll through them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times

YouTube - ‪June 9th Missouri River flood survey‬‏

Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Lots of other good aerial videos on that youtube member's site as well.

Thought this was a good story about trying to save a farmhouse in Wagner. My apology about the paper I have to link to.

A fight to save the farm | The Argus Leader | argusleader.com

Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
Hm, that's strange, I watch Keloland every day and they have people both in Pierre and Dakota Dunes and I don't think I've seen Duugaard at all....Not that I care anyways, didn't care for Rounds nor him...
So, you equate a governor mugging for a camera the same as being in charge? In your astute observations did you see entities and people working together? And by working together I am talking all levels of goverment, I am talking business' and individuals...

My take is vastly different than yours. Because you see or don't see the governor in front of a camera you seeminly conclude that he is doing nothing. It appears the results are contrary to your conclusion.

Woudn't a better measure of the job be to ask and observe what actions are being taken to mitigate damage or prevent loss of life and property damage?

We are a week into the 150,000 cfs release at Oahe, the levies seem to be doing what they were intended to do and are holding up pretty well. Better than I was expecting. Most of problems will arise with the raising of the water table. That will inflict a majority of the damage.

And as far as dealing out blame... Well thank mother nature for that. In the last month large areas of the upper missouri river drainiage areas received up to 600% above average rain fall amounts. This on top two or three winters of above average snow packs.

Lets rewind to 2002 when this part of the world was in the middle of a pretty major drought. Levels on Oahe and other bodies were far below normal... Where boat ramps were closed, water intakes for water systerms were drying than a popcorn fart. The "experts" thought it would take 40 years to fill up the lakes again. .

Some would love to blame the Army Corp of Engineers. Last time I checked, they lacked the ability to communicate with nature what nature should do. No one can control mother nature. No one. You can somewhat regulate water flows an prevent floods some of the time, never all of the time.

The whole situation is a mess from Fort Peck all the way to Gulf of Mexico.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
Omaha / Council Bluffs

YouTube - ‪The Great Missouri Flood of 2011 Omaha / Council Bluffs‬‏

Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 PM

Holy cow! I- 29 submerged.

This was in the Capitol Journal today. It appears as though this flooding may have been anticipated as early as February.

http://capjournal.com/articles/2011/...c907147522.txt

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 06-14-2011 at 10:46 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Talked to one of our guys that just got back from Dakota Dunes yesterday. He said it's pretty incredible being on site and helping...the levee is 25 feet high in some places. The majority of the work is done, now it's just a monitoring and waiting game. They really are doing 24 hour foot patrols on the levee to search for leaks and weak spots. The effort that this is taking is tremendous. Our soldiers and others that are working on this deserve our utmost respect.

He said watching people empty their homes knowing they might have nothing to come back to was heartbreaking - watching people work for 3-4 days with no sleep to save what they could...this guy's a real tough-guy type, and to hear what he was describing was so hard. We tend to lose touch with the human factor in all of this in our awe of the hugeness of the flooding, but the people are still there and the harsh realities are what is going to matter when this is all over...

As far as our politicians and their involvement - our guy said he personally spoke with Daugaard and Noem, and he stood by as Noem spent quite a great deal of time on her phone with Washington, making sure we had the personnel and supplies to see this through. At one point, an agency was going to pull their personnel, and she made sure they stayed. I would say our politicians see the greater need, and all of them are working to make sure South Dakota gets its needs met.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I wish all those affected the best. If it was me and I lived along the river in a known former floodplain, I would have looked at the elevation maps carefully and bought flood insurance... but I tend to over-research stuff though. A dam is no guarantee that a former flood plain will never again see water.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Default Oahe Dam release rate to be increased this weekend

Breaking News : Oahe Dam to release 160,000 cfs Sunday - Capital Journal Pierre, SD newspaper since 1881

Quote:
Due to an immense amount of expected rain, the Oahe and Big Bend dams will be increasing their water release schedules to a tremendous 155,000 cubic feet per second on Saturday and 160,000 cfs on Sunday.

The United States Army Corps of Engineers said Friday that because there is the potential for 3 to 5 inches of rain by early next week the increased levels were necessary to make way for the rain that will fill the reservoirs.

Jody Farhat, chief of the Missouri River basin water management office for the USACE, said it was necessary to transfer water from Oahe down into the Fort Randall reservoir.

link to satellite photos of Missouri River(June 16th)

http://eros.usgs.gov/#/About_Us/Views_of_the_News

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 06-17-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Bohica... It isn't good. The forecast for Western SD and Montana for the next few days shows more rain. June, thus far has been holding somewhat below normal on the precip.

Last night there was some heavy rains in Pierre. It was a fairly heavy rain. They were pumping out the low areas.

The increase, I hope it doesn't mess with the water tables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota