Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple betty View Post
unintelligible--please try again

You haven't made a valid point yet.

the worst part of the flooding, not withstanding blame, is the effects are more than just for those who live in the communities. With a massive stretch of I-29 closed in Iowa in Missouri it makes travel and shipment of goods more difficult.

And all you can due is come up with weak reasoning on practices of the corp of engineers and other stupidity.

Seems all some can do is complain, no matter what is done.

In all this, it often brings out the best in people. There was a lot of blood and sweat put into saving Pierre. Many hours committed, neighbor helping neighbor.

Last edited by SD4020; 06-26-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I traveled to South Central SD over the holiday weekend. It was a lengthy detour on state highways in KS and NE before crossing the Ft. Randall dam. Let me tell you that seeing the speed of the water coming out of that spillway at 155,000 cfs first hand was highly impressive. It had been six weeks since I had last visted the area (was able to travel I-29 then) and it was amazing how high the river/Lake Francis Case had risen in that relatively short amount of time.

The detour milage was about the same but it added hours on to the drive. Still, the change of scenery was wonderful and I gained a greater appreciation for the Northern half of the KS Flint Hills and the picturesque county seats through which I drove in both KS and NE. On my return the semi traffic was bumber to bumper on Hwy 36 across Northern Kansas (2 lane) into the very late hours of night. As SD4020 has noted the flooding has indeed made the shipping of goods more difficult and time consuming from what I was able to observe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota