Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 07:48 PM

112 posts, read 151,544 times

Advertisements

I understand some SD residents think they're better than big city dwellers in the east and the other 45 states, but it seems that state leadership refusal to issue a stay at home order is akin to abdication of responsibility. And so I ask... what would be the number of Covid19 deaths that would be enough to take a stand and limit the carnage in South Dakota. Is she doing ANYTHING to save those most at risk? Not attacking, just want to know.

It is, like it or not, also a matter of national security. The failed just in time processing used at Smithfield is leading to the possibility of a chain of processing plant closures and that might lead to food shortage throughout the United States. Believe me, I'm leary of all govt and when the government says one thing in an emergency, they usually mean just the opposite. Everything is under control, go back to work in the south tower, they said. The air is fine in lower Manhattan, nothing to worry about, said federal agencies. There's no need for regular civilians to wear a mask at Ground Zero in the midst of this global pandemic as masks are only for other people said Trump's doctors.

Whatever number of citizens who are considered expendable by your Gov and the whole admin, our hearts go out to the broken families left behind.

Not trying to stomp on anyones liberty, just concerned about saving someones life. Thoughts?

Old 04-15-2020, 07:54 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,684,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
I understand some SD residents think they're better than big city dwellers in the east and the other 45 states, but it seems that state leadership refusal to issue a stay at home order is akin to abdication of responsibility. And so I ask... what would be the number of Covid19 deaths that would be enough to take a stand and limit the carnage in South Dakota. Is she doing ANYTHING to save those most at risk? Not attacking, just want to know.

It is, like it or not, also a matter of national security. The failed just in time processing used at Smithfield is leading to the possibility of a chain of processing plant closures and that might lead to food shortage throughout the United States. Believe me, I'm leary of all govt and when the government says one thing in an emergency, they usually mean just the opposite. Everything is under control, go back to work in the south tower, they said. The air is fine in lower Manhattan, nothing to worry about, said federal agencies. There's no need for regular civilians to wear a mask at Ground Zero in the midst of this global pandemic as masks are only for other people said Trump's doctors.

Whatever number of citizens who are considered expendable by your Gov and the whole admin, our hearts go out to the broken families left behind.

Not trying to stomp on anyones liberty, just concerned about saving someones life. Thoughts?
I understand how many big city dwellers think they are better than us. Glad they know so much about us and how to properly do thing. Please remind me of where you live and how it is going there. Have a great evening.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:59 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
The world will never be risk free. For people in high risk groups, I would recommend staying inside to protect themselves. For everyone else, I would recommend going about their normal routine as much as possible.

But they're just recommendations. I have no desire to make that decision for anyone else, and I don't think the government should decide for them either.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:39 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
I just read a really good editorial in the Sioux City Journal (since our local paper is a weekly I read the Journal and the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader on other days.) The article was written by Dana Milbank. I don't know exactly what he does for a living. A health reporter?

The thesis of his editorial was that the anti-government movement over the past 20 years (tea party, etc.) is directly responsible for the rapid and poorly controlled spread of Covid19 in the USA this year.

The fact that a pandemic was coming soon was known as far back as 1999 in the US. Since then there have been continuous warnings that we need to be prepared. Before 2010 the Federal Government WAS preparing, by funding Public Health Preparedness Grants and the Prevention and Public Health Fund.

But since 2010, when the short-sighted, poorly educated, tea party crazies began gaining power in Congress, Health Preparedness grant funding was cut by 1/3, the Hospital Preparedness program was cut by 1/2, the National Institutes of Health funding was cut by 40%, and the Prevention and Public Health fund was decimated. This despite continued warnings by scientists that a pandemic was coming.

There would have been NO NEED for the stimulus funding just passed by Congress (or the $ you all just got in your bank accounts) if our Federal government had continued it's pre 2010 course and planned ahead with sufficient supplies and vaccine development. Thus, the anti-government crazies have ended up costing us BILLIONS of dollars more than would have been spent on proper planning and preparation.

Noem is part of this very far crazy weirdo trumpy right wing group. Her lack of willingness to act has already cost lives, and will end up costing us taxpayers FAR more money than would have been the case if she had just acted immediately to close things down until the curve was flattened.

To all those idiots who still can't comprehend the concept of temporary measures that need to be taken to prevent overwhelming spread, and who argue that "we is loozing ourses rightses!" if strict government measures temporarily limit our movement, I would simply say please study the history of wartime measures that have been taken throughout American history. We're still here. Our rights are still intact.

Noem, through her inaction, is personally responsible for the spread of illness and the deaths from Covid19 that are occurring in South Dakota.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I understand how many big city dwellers think they are better than us. Glad they know so much about us and how to properly do thing. Please remind me of where you live and how it is going there. Have a great evening.
Manhattan. NYC. Upper West Side. We have a Gov who is as arrogant and self assured as any. In the beginning he actually mocked people who were concerned. He accused people of being hysterical and thinking that Americans would somehow be immune to the virus. Like Trump, he told people to calm down and relax. Somehow, as shocking as it seems, that didn't prove to be enough to stop the virus. He failed to act in time, just like the Mayor of New York who was also way too cavalier in the early days, and President Trump. The body count soared, as you know.

In my book, it appears the only politician who deserves real praise is the mayor of San Francisco who, along with all the other bay area cities, had the political courage and the foresight to close things down early and last I checked had a death count in the single digits. That's stunning really, considering their west coast locale, their density and large immigrant Asian/Chinese population. Mitigation works.

Sweden is about the only western country that refused to lock down and their death toll had steadily climbed and now is one and a half times that of the US (based on the number of deaths per each 1 million people.)

You'll be glad that I'm not king. SE SD should be on lock-down. The extreme rural counties through the rest of the state would not be locked down but put on notice that any sign of infection, brought about through movement and they'd be next. As a result of the policy chosen by your power-brokers, I think you'll be very lucky to not see your death count rise. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
The world will never be risk free. For people in high risk groups, I would recommend staying inside to protect themselves. For everyone else, I would recommend going about their normal routine as much as possible.

But they're just recommendations. I have no desire to make that decision for anyone else, and I don't think the government should decide for them either.
I think I understand your sentiment here but between the elderly, the diabetic and morbidly obese, those with underlying conditions like lung/respiratory conditions, high blood pressure and more, your still talking about 50 or 60% of the populace.

How long should they be locked up. Will the government be providing for them? And how long? Indefinitely? This isn't an illness brought about by "lifestyle" choices or bad behavior (well, diabetes, but that's another discussion, be it on gluttonly or fast-food choices.)

I just see it that we are all in this together and we can't start separating out the infirmed. Either way, it's going to hurt and the economic ruin will last for years. That's my humble take on this.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just read a really good editorial in the Sioux City Journal (since our local paper is a weekly I read the Journal and the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader on other days.) The article was written by Dana Milbank. I don't know exactly what he does for a living. A health reporter?

The thesis of his editorial was that the anti-government movement over the past 20 years (tea party, etc.) is directly responsible for the rapid and poorly controlled spread of Covid19 in the USA this year.

The fact that a pandemic was coming soon was known as far back as 1999 in the US. Since then there have been continuous warnings that we need to be prepared. Before 2010 the Federal Government WAS preparing, by funding Public Health Preparedness Grants and the Prevention and Public Health Fund.

But since 2010, when the short-sighted, poorly educated, tea party crazies began gaining power in Congress, Health Preparedness grant funding was cut by 1/3, the Hospital Preparedness program was cut by 1/2, the National Institutes of Health funding was cut by 40%, and the Prevention and Public Health fund was decimated. This despite continued warnings by scientists that a pandemic was coming.

There would have been NO NEED for the stimulus funding just passed by Congress (or the $ you all just got in your bank accounts) if our Federal government had continued it's pre 2010 course and planned ahead with sufficient supplies and vaccine development. Thus, the anti-government crazies have ended up costing us BILLIONS of dollars more than would have been spent on proper planning and preparation.

Noem is part of this very far crazy weirdo trumpy right wing group. Her lack of willingness to act has already cost lives, and will end up costing us taxpayers FAR more money than would have been the case if she had just acted immediately to close things down until the curve was flattened.

To all those idiots who still can't comprehend the concept of temporary measures that need to be taken to prevent overwhelming spread, and who argue that "we is loozing ourses rightses!" if strict government measures temporarily limit our movement, I would simply say please study the history of wartime measures that have been taken throughout American history. We're still here. Our rights are still intact.

Noem, through her inaction, is personally responsible for the spread of illness and the deaths from Covid19 that are occurring in South Dakota.
THANK YOU! Thanks for the very thorough posting that explains how we got here. I often think how we've lived through the last 5 or 6 years with an almost reckless abandon. No one knows better than farmers that we reap what we sow. I call it the Golden Age of the greatest economy in the history of the world. We should have been improving our infrastructure. We should have been wiping out the national debt. There's so much we could have accomplished. Instead we wake up with a hangover, crushing debt that isn't going away and now a global pandemic that threatens national security for countries large and small in the not too distant future. I always expect politicians to hollow out Medicare and cut into Social Security. They like to call it an "entitlement" after we've been paying into it for all of our working lives!

On whatever side of the aisle we each reside, it's going to get bumpy and I believe we'll all suffer. All of our petty bickering and politicians spend their careers trying to score points rather than moving us forward in a bi-partisan fashion. To think of the most recent debates---- all the talk was on which candidate could give us more free stuff. Free medical for all. Free college for all. Wipe out all student loans for all. The reality as I see it, we are sinking so deep into debt that none of those things will even be within the realm of possibility for decades -- decades to come! Sad. So many Americans will pay a price long after Covid is a distant memory.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:38 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:

You know who smithfield employes and how those folks live at home?

Old 04-16-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You know who smithfield employes and how those folks live at home?
I'm most familiar with the Smithfield in Virginia and according to Wikipedia, the owner of Smithfield is known as Shuanghui Group, WH Group purchased Smithfield Foods in 2013 for $4.72 billion. It was the largest Chinese acquisition of an American company to date. Makes sense as the Chinese culture is known to have a fondness for pork.

Thinking about 500 sick people coughing all over the foods we eat is a real TURN-OFF. I'm guessing that those on the factory floor don't make much more than minimum wage (unless unionized.) That kind of income doesn't allow for someone to live the American Dream does it. Plus I'm making the assumption here that many workers are Chinese and squirrel away their money to send home to China. Am I off base here? HOW did the Covid cluster in that factory become one of the largest anywhere in the US?

Old 04-16-2020, 12:24 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
I'm most familiar with the Smithfield in Virginia and according to Wikipedia, the owner of Smithfield is known as Shuanghui Group, WH Group purchased Smithfield Foods in 2013 for $4.72 billion. It was the largest Chinese acquisition of an American company to date. Makes sense as the Chinese culture is known to have a fondness for pork.

Thinking about 500 sick people coughing all over the foods we eat is a real TURN-OFF. I'm guessing that those on the factory floor don't make much more than minimum wage (unless unionized.) That kind of income doesn't allow for someone to live the American Dream does it. Plus I'm making the assumption here that many workers are Chinese and squirrel away their money to send home to China. Am I off base here? HOW did the Covid cluster in that factory become one of the largest anywhere in the US?
Sioux Falls has become a gateway community for immigrants. Many/most from Africa or SE Asia/Burman(Myanmar)....
Here's a link to Smithfield wages... My kids live on production worker wages in a nice little single family home. So the American Dream IS attainable working there.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Smithfield-Foods/salaries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota