Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times

Advertisements

Please ignore Chicagoerin's comments. If anything, I feel that St. Louis is improving- especially compared to when I first moved here over 7 years ago. Yes, the city has it's problems but all cities have problems. I'm personally delighted with the leaps and bounds that St. Louis has been making in recent years. St. Louis feels more 'alive' and loved than ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
And, contrary to what chicagoerin says, the norm actually is to love it here and establish roots. Almost everybody I know is a transplant and they genuinely like it here and plan on staying, if not forever then at least for a while. I've never met a transplant who genuinely hates St. Louis, if that tells you anything.
Come to think of it, nor have I and I knew a lot of transplants when I lived here before. You get the odd few on these boards who say they weren't happy here and are moving etc- but I've found that it's really not the norm in 'real life'.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Boston is a great town, so I can certainly understand your reticence to leave it, but if it's a great opportunity for you I would encourage you to consider it. Many transplants, as well as friendly natives, live in the city neighborhoods you're considering and I feel confident you'll have few problems making new friends here.

And, despite what chicagoerin said, it's been a pretty "good" year where crime is concerned. and the city is set to have the fewest number of murders since 2003. It's also important to note how those numbers are skewed by our small city limits and the very real, long-term issues with crime on the north side. The neighborhoods you're looking at as well as others you might like are quite safe by city standards, and the overall vibe in the city is one of rejuvination, progressivism and confidence about the future.

Please be sure to ask any more questions as you have them; we're more than happy to help!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,652 times
My wife and I own a loft downtown and live on Washington Avenue. Any of your choices that you listed would be fine through. I would not overly worry about the negative comments that you hear about the city as most of these come from people that do not live in the city and rarely if ever visit. At a recent meeting between downtown residents and the mayor, by far the majority of people living downtown are from somewhere else other than St. Louis, so coming from Boston would be absolutely no problem. For the money, the lofts downtown are the best deal going, through any bargains are fast disappearing. Some of the available rental units are absolutely amazing, but can be pricy. Washington Avenue is the current hot spot on weekends and can get nosy and busy. The CWE is dominated by the hospital complex and tends to be quieter and more laid back. Either location is well served by public transportation so going form one to the other is only a quick train trip. Soulard is more of a mix, consisting of mainly residential housing with a large number of bars and restaurants thrown in. I have never lived there, but I suspect that it is much like the scene downtown with large crowds of partiers on weekends, and quieter on weekdays. My biggest issue with Soulard is the obnoxious crowds during festivals and Metrolink does not run that way. But anyway, don’t hesitate to give St. Louis a chance, just don’t live out in the suburbs.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Cripes, just move and get on with your life, no matter what a stranger on a public forum tells you about their experience yours will be different.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 AM

28 posts, read 65,015 times
There is a lot of good energy downtown, and the momentum keeps gaining. The art movie house that is opening on the 2nd floor of the Stix, Baer & Fuller building is another example of downtown moving forward.

It is also important to set expectations, as Boston is a different animal in many ways.
Outside of NYC, Boston is one of the few US cities that is still a business hub, including retail, for it's greater region, and it's population has been rising at a good clip since the 1990 census.

I hope that you will have some time to try downtown before making a long term commitment, and thus
you will know that to expect, and what not to expect.

Ken

Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,801 times
All three are great choices and are friendly to transplants. I would probably choose downtown or the CWE due to the mixed use buildings available.

I live downtown and It’s a great place to live for most people who want to meet friends, enjoy nightlife and within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Cell phone access is just fine. There isn’t much violent crime downtown but there are petty crimes such a car break ins, theft, vandalism, etc like other big city downtowns. I consider downtown one of the safer neighborhoods in the city.

If you are looking for places to check out start with Ely Walker Lofts, Bogen, Ventana, Fashion Square, Lucas Lofts, 10th street lofts, 315 Lofts, Bell Lofts, Syndicate.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
I can't comment on the singles scence but will share my thoughts: search on my user name. You will find a lot of interesting data about St. Louis. My family (parents, Sister and BIL (who is a PHD/MBA from Wash U) and myself all feel the area is on a quick decline. And it wasn't in such great shape to begin with. The level of crime is getting to be too rich for our blood and we are moving. I recruit for a living for a firm that is $30 billion in revenue. We employ 160,000 worldwide. I can tell you that of all the midwestern cities I recruit for (Chicago, Indy, Minneapolis, Columbus, Detroit, etc). St Louis has always been the hardest to sell. And people tend to move here for school or work and leave. There are certainly some people who establish roots and love it here, but I think they are not the norm. I have lived in Chicago and Columbus, OH and would move to either of those areas (or Indy or Minneapolis) before moving here.

What on earth? When you're this out of touch is no wonder it's so difficult for you to get prospects to move here.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM

277 posts, read 506,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8709 View Post
As to living areas, I'm thinking CWE, Soulard or Downtown based on everyone's comments here (love those Downtown lofts! They look amazing.)

Thanks!
CWE area I recommend. Downtown is a ghost town and the lofts are overrated.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
I don't like St. Louis. The place is desolate and void. The best place this area has going for itself is the Central West End area. Downtown is a ghost town but there is investment and the city is trying to rebuild and renovate. I'm not into dating but I urged the women to be cautious because homosexuality runs rampant here. (No offense). Though I'm not a city person, I hate filth clutter and crowds, St. Louis is not a city. The good thing is the people are approachable. There's no such thing as fitting in. Come here and just do your thing and that's fitting in. This is a great place if you want to start a business.
Is this a joke? Because I almost fell out of my chair laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis