Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times

Advertisements

I know I'm in the minority here- but St. Louis is one of the few places on earth that doesn't flair up my allergies. They are simply awful in Australia especially, Hawaii, and the Southern U.S. but haven't bothered me one iota in St. Louis. I guess it depends what kind of pollens and allergens affect you. I know that for a lot of people here though, allergies certainly affect them.

As for horrible Summers, to me, they're fairly mild (coming from an Australian point of view again) and thankfully aren't too long- but I can imagine hating them if I'd grown up in the North East!

St. Louis Summers are nothing on Australia or Eastern North Carolina... it actually baffles me when people complain about them as much as they do. But of course I guess it's what you're acclimatized to. If I hadn't lived anywhere hotter and more humid, I'd probably dislike them too. As it stands, I think they're very manageable. It all comes down to personal tolerance levels I suppose! Thinking St. Louis weather is 'perfect' is probably further proof that I'm the odd one out though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I know I'm in the minority here- but St. Louis is one of the few places on earth that doesn't flair up my allergies. They are simply awful in Australia especially, Hawaii, and the Southern U.S. but haven't bothered me one iota in St. Louis. I guess it depends what kind of pollens and allergens affect you. I know that for a lot of people here though, allergies certainly affect them.
Same here. Never had a problem in St. Louis. I can barely breathe and almost cough up a lung when I go back to my parents' in Memphis though. The air is bad down there.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 PM

27 posts, read 38,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8709 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks again for the continuing commentary. I'm coming to STL in a few weeks for a weekend to get a sense of it. Any recommendations for spots I shouldn't miss in trying to get a real sense of the city (outside of the general tourist stuff I'll be able to find out about easily on my own)?

Thanks!
Were you ever able to make it in for your weekend trip?

STL is my 5th city (and I'm only 28). This city is severely underrated. You will love it. Like I tell everyone in New England. The density isn't quite what you're used to.. but that can be both a positive and a negative.

Also, about the whole "meeting people" component, it isn't any easier and more difficult than ANY city. It is always the same. However, there are more transplants than you would think here. Additionally, the Midwest is friendly. Period.

Hope to have you here in STL soon!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM

9 posts, read 27,941 times
Hi All,

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and suggestions. It's all been really helpful. I had to postpone my visit but will be there this weekend. I'm looking forward to checking out the city!

Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,801 times
Great. Good luck and please post thoughts and questions after you visit.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM

46 posts, read 144,377 times
OP - I think you would be crazy to move to St. Louis from Boston. Boston is a world class city that blows St. Louis out of the water in every single category. St. Louis was recently ranked the #1 most dangerous City in America, Google it, it's true. Sorry to all you St. Louis residents, but St. Louis is bad and getting worse. If you move there, you will regret it and move back to Boston within two years, guaranteed. Sorry, someone had to tell you.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleschap View Post
OP - I think you would be crazy to move to St. Louis from Boston. Boston is a world class city that blows St. Louis out of the water in every single category. St. Louis was recently ranked the #1 most dangerous City in America, Google it, it's true. Sorry to all you St. Louis residents, but St. Louis is bad and getting worse. If you move there, you will regret it and move back to Boston within two years, guaranteed. Sorry, someone had to tell you.
HAHAHA. The only part of this that is true is Boston being a more world-class city. If you don't live in St. Louis then you don't get to tell us our city is "bad and getting worse." Sorry.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Another rep point for Dawn! (if it would allow me to give her one! I've repped you too much already!)

As for the crime thing, that topic has been beaten to death in this forum. The city is separate from the county therefore they only count the city itself in the crime rankings. If the county was included, we'd be way down on the list of 'most dangerous'. Warped statistic.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 PM

46 posts, read 144,377 times
Regarding the City is separate from the County thing, a young 30 something women will want to live in the City, not in a far flung suburb with all families. In Boston, a young person can live downtown OR in many nearby areas (Brookline, Brighton, Cambridge, etc). In St. Louis, the nearby areas are dangerous.

OP -
If you are visiting there, go to more than the tourist areas. All of the surrounding areas to the North and especially East St Louis are incredibly dangerous. Bostonians don't realize how safe their City is compared to many rust belt cities. Imagine if Boston was surrounded by Roxbury on all sides, with the only safe areas being Back Bay and Beacon Hill. That's what it's like, a seige mentality. I give you this advice as I would to a sister or any single woman that was a friend. If you move there for the job opportunity, seriously consider your safety and do the following:

- move into an apt bldg with a door man
- get mace and learn how to use it
- consider getting a conceal carry permit and learn how to use a firearm. Only do this if you are going to train and feel comfortable with it.
- get a large dog like a german sheppard
- act quickly to meet a large boyfreind and move in with him

You don't want to end up a statistic.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Why would she ever go to North City or East St. Louis? There is literrally no reason to ever go to those places. That's like telling somebody who moves to Boston to go to Roxbury and then saying, "See? See how dangerous Boston is? Don't move there. It's a siege mentality." I'm also fairly certain that most people in STL don't need to follow your extreme "safety" suggestions and they still manage to see the light of another day.

Chill out, dude. Like I said, if you don't live here then you don't have any business talking about our city like you know what's going on in it. Best to leave that to the locals who actually live here. You're just making yourself look ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis