Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM

46 posts, read 144,377 times

Advertisements

I just want to protect OP from making the worst mistake of her life. I understand that people who live in St. Louis don't want to hear other people dumping on their City. You probably have roots there - family, friends, job, etc. The OP doesn't. She would be moving from one of the best cities in the country (Boston) where she has lots of friends, to a City famous for crime (St. Louis) where she doesn't know anybody. The OP definitely should not move to Siege Louis. Look at this way:
1) Stay in Seattle or move to Detroit?
2) Stay in SF or move to Cleveland?
3) Stay in NYC or move to Baltimore?
4) Stay in San Diego or move to Memphis?
5) Stay in Boston or move to Siege Louis?

Choice is very clear for OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
The maturity level just plummeted on this thread. Thanks CharlesChap for your enlightened post.

@CharlesChap - how are you qualified to offer any advice on St. Louis. I only ask because you're making a fool of yourself.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
I don't have any roots here. I'm a transplant who fell in love with St. Louis after I moved here, so I find it particularly offensive when people bash the city without taking the time to get to know it.

I would never, EVER presume to go on a city's forum where I had never lived and proceed to bash it and give people "advice" about moving there. That would be total lunacy.

For some reason we have a lot of people who come on here thinking they're "experts" about St. Louis and then clearly demonstrate how little they really know about the city. This is nothing new.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,779,436 times
Just ignore charleschap. He has obviously never been to St. Louis and has no idea what he is talking about

Every major city in America, including Boston, has bad areas to avoid. That doesn't mean you write off the entire metro.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,056,551 times
For the right job opportunity, in all 5 of the potential move scenarios above, I think you'd be foolish not to consider it. For example, SF is a lovely town, but if I were earning $100k there and was offered $130k in Cleveland, I'd be all over it - that'd practically be like winning the lottery - you'd go from renting a crummy apartment in a neighborhood like SOMA for $1700 per month to owning a well-maintained, 4000 square foot demi-mansion in an area like Cleveland Heights. Sign me up.

Some people are obsessed with living in the "in" cities just for the sake of living in the "in" cities, while other people are just pretty good at finding their own cool stuff to do wherever they go. I like Boston, but I think Chas is wrong on this one.

Last edited by zach_33; 01-23-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM

The high crime statistics are indicative of the overall quality of life. Areas with high stats also have issues with other things that don't show up on the stats - panhandling, verbal assaults, unreported crime, etc. St. Louis, like many other rust belt cities, unfortunately has lost most of its manufacturing base and there is a large underclass of people with very limited employment prospects. Neither of these factors will change anytime soon. My goal isn't to make St. Louis homers feel bad, it's just to alert the OP of these important factors. St. Louis could be great if you live way out in the safe suburbs, have family connections, friends, and a good job. Maybe even once in a while you go into the City and catch a Rams or Cards game or go out to eat. But it's not a City to LIVE IN.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
charleschap: I moved from Australia (supposedly one of the most livable countries in the world and #2 best place to be born) to St. Louis with no roots, no ties, no family, no friends... and it was the best decision I ever made. When I moved away for 4 years I was absolutely miserable and couldn't wait to return to St. Louis.

Depending on the person, you don't necessarily need roots or initial ties for a city to create a wonderful life for yourself. Afterall, the OP has a great job opportunity in St. Louis (as I did when I moved). Sometimes, the benefits of the opportunity outweighs leaving 'home'. I thought that there was a possibility I may miss Australia- I didn't. Nor did I lament the fact that I didn't have any ties to St. Louis. I made new ties, and created new roots for myself.

I agree that Boston is a fantastic city and a world class one at that. St. Louis however has a lot to offer also. As for the crime thing, if the OP does want to live in the city there are plenty of safe areas in South City, CWE etc. Although I lived out in the county when I first moved to St. Louis in my early 20s, I had lots of single female friends living in the CWE and surrounds and never, ever had any problems.

I appreciate you wanting to alert the OP to potential problems- but I think you've got the wrong end of the stick with regards to the crime rate. Yes, there are bad areas, but you soon find out which areas they are and learn to avoid them. A vast majority of the city is wonderful.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleschap View Post
The high crime statistics are indicative of the overall quality of life. Areas with high stats also have issues with other things that don't show up on the stats - panhandling, verbal assaults, unreported crime, etc. St. Louis, like many other rust belt cities, unfortunately has lost most of its manufacturing base and there is a large underclass of people with very limited employment prospects. Neither of these factors will change anytime soon. My goal isn't to make St. Louis homers feel bad, it's just to alert the OP of these important factors. St. Louis could be great if you live way out in the safe suburbs, have family connections, friends, and a good job. Maybe even once in a while you go into the City and catch a Rams or Cards game or go out to eat. But it's not a City to LIVE IN.
And yet many thousands of people live right downtown with no trouble what so ever. Our city is undergoing revitalization. We have a beautiful loft district downtown that many people, families included. enjoy. New construction going up left and right. Seriously guy quit thinking you know anything about our city because you read some crime statistics in the news that are skewed because of the small sample size of St. Louis. Yes we have crime like any other city, but this place is hardly Beirut.

Oh P.S - Panhandling is hardly of any concern here

Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM

I think Zach makes a good a point about the salary increase. It is true that everyone has their price. For example, if the OP is making 100k in Boston, it would be tough to turn down 150k in St. Louis/Detroit. Or for that matter, how about 500k in Baghdad or even $1.2 million in Mogadishu? You could get an awesome apt in St. Louis on 150k per year, and a palace with armed guards in Mogadishu on $1.2 mil.

The homers are getting upset and ganging up on me. I am going to sign off now because I think OP will get the message and conduct her due diligence. FOREWARNED IS FOREARMED!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Another rep point for Dawn! (if it would allow me to give her one! I've repped you too much already!)
I'm actually a "him." The "Dawn" thing is confusing, I know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis