Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM

277 posts, read 506,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Is this a joke? Because I almost fell out of my chair laughing.
It's not a joke but you can take it as one. What stop you from falling out of your chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
I don't like St. Louis. The place is desolate and void. The best place this area has going for itself is the Central West End area. Downtown is a ghost town but there is investment and the city is trying to rebuild and renovate. I'm not into dating but I urged the women to be cautious because homosexuality runs rampant here. (No offense). Though I'm not a city person, I hate filth clutter and crowds, St. Louis is not a city. The good thing is the people are approachable. There's no such thing as fitting in. Come here and just do your thing and that's fitting in. This is a great place if you want to start a business.
Where is the 'Filth Clutter' and Crowds? What city doesn't have a bit of Grit and Decay? As for fitting in... if you can't fit in in a city like St. Louis- the problem is with you, and not with St. Louisans. The homosexuality running rampant is beyond me as well... it all seems very normal and on par with other American cities in my opinion. When I was single I never, ever had trouble getting dates.

I literally laughed out loud at this post.

OP- TheMoonandStars is yet another person to disregard!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Where is the 'Filth Clutter' and Crowds? What city doesn't have a bit of Grit and Decay? As for fitting in... if you can't fit in in a city like St. Louis- the problem is with you, and not with St. Louisans. The homosexuality running rampant is beyond me as well... it all seems very normal and on par with other American cities in my opinion. When I was single I never, ever had trouble getting dates.

I literally laughed out loud at this post.

OP- TheMoonandStars is yet another person to disregard!
You ought to laugh because you didn't read what I wrote.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,655 times
We laughed because we read what you wrote. Have you been down on Washington Avenue or Post Office Square downtown recently? Citygarden? If so, then you'd know downtown is nowhere near a "ghost town." I've also never known any woman in St. Louis not to be able to get a date because of gay people. That's a laughably absurd statement.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
We laughed because we read what you wrote. Have you been down on Washington Avenue or Post Office Square downtown recently? Citygarden? If so, then you'd know downtown is nowhere near a "ghost town." I've also never known any woman in St. Louis not to be able to get a date because of gay people. That's a laughably absurd statement.
You didn't read what I wrote nor understood what I wrote. I never said I date or looking to date. I said I don't date but for the women who do or looking to date be cautious because homosexuality runs rampant in this city. It DO! You are speaking to someone who currently lives in St. Louis. I wouldn't have made judgment about St.Louis if I don't know what I'm talking about. It's not a city and it's desolate and void.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,615 times
So, does this mean that due to the huge number of gay men in St. Louis, she shouldn't move here because she may accidentally hit on one of the gay men and embarrass herself? Or is this some cryptic remark meant to signal how difficult it is to get good theater tickets as all the gay men are stampeding to get the last tickets to Wicked at the Fox? I'm really at a loss here regarding how the gay population impacts her one way or the other.

But it's pretty entertaining!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM

28 posts, read 65,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
So, does this mean that due to the huge number of gay men in St. Louis, she shouldn't move here because she may accidentally hit on one of the gay men and embarrass herself? Or is this some cryptic remark meant to signal how difficult it is to get good theater tickets as all the gay men are stampeding to get the last tickets to Wicked at the Fox? I'm really at a loss here regarding how the gay population impacts her one way or the other.

But it's pretty entertaining!
I'm sure she will be fine, after all Boston, one of the most highly educated and prosperous cities in the nation, has one of the largest GLBT populations in the nation as well.

Ken

Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM

I suspect that what it means is that TheMoonandStars thinks St. Louis' large LGBT community is a bad thing for the city. The term "run rampant" usually has a negative connotation, which is odd considering the invaluable contributions of money and energy the LGBT community brings to the improvement of this city. Good luck finding any vibrant, thriving city where homosexuality doesn't "run rampant." It happens to the best of them

Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
I was just reading an article (I think it was in the Atlantic?) about how a large LGBT population bodes well for a city's economic engine. If they're "running rampant," I personally couldn't be more pleased.

It certainly is telling about TheMoonandStars personal insights though isn't it?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I was just reading an article (I think it was in the Atlantic?) about how a large LGBT population bodes well for a city's economic engine. If they're "running rampant," I personally couldn't be more pleased.
Absolutely. The "gayborhoods" of America's cities are also among the most desirable and (therefore) expensive places to live for the general population as well. It's no secret that LGBTers like to live in urban environments and have more disposable income than the national average, so that's a demographic cities are keen to attract. It's also common knowledge that that community are "urban pioneers" and help to gentrify neighborhoods that people wouldn't touch otherwise (see The Grove).

Did you happen to see the HRC's Municipal Equality Index? STL was one of only 11 cities to score a perfect 100 and the only city not on the coasts to do so (not even Chicago). That puts us in the same league as NYC, SF, and Seattle. For a city that people often deride as being a cultural backwater that ranking helps us stand out as a progressive community, which is absolutely good PR for the city.

BTW, could you post a link to the article?

Last edited by Dawn10am; 12-12-2012 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis