Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM

21 posts, read 22,819 times

Advertisements

I am looking to see what location is better to live, I can not do the cold anymore. I want a more relaxed environment and somewhere to really just enjoy the days and nights. Also looking to move to get in state tuition rates before my oldest starts college

South Tampa
New Tampa
St Pete's
Brandon

A little about us. We are a married couple of 18 years. We are a mixed race family with 3 boys ages 17, 10 and 6. We are huge football fans and our middle son plays. Our kids are currently in a Charter School because our school system in Charlotte is horrible. We do have 2 rescued dogs but they seem to be a restricted breed so we will probably have to get rid of them.

Looking to move in July when I am finished school

Any information on which area would be the safest for us being a mixed race and for our kids to go to school. We need 3 bedrooms, and would like to stay at $1000 or less a month on rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmitch View Post
I am looking to see what location is better to live, I can not do the cold anymore. I want a more relaxed environment and somewhere to really just enjoy the days and nights. Also looking to move to get in state tuition rates before my oldest starts college

South Tampa
New Tampa
St Pete's
Brandon

A little about us. We are a married couple of 18 years. We are a mixed race family with 3 boys ages 17, 10 and 6. We are huge football fans and our middle son plays. Our kids are currently in a Charter School because our school system in Charlotte is horrible. We do have 2 rescued dogs but they seem to be a restricted breed so we will probably have to get rid of them.

Looking to move in July when I am finished school

Any information on which area would be the safest for us being a mixed race and for our kids to go to school. We need 3 bedrooms, and would like to stay at $1000 or less a month on rent
Hm, I didn't think Charlotte was all that cold. Anyway, Brandon or New Tampa would probably be your best bet. $1,000/month for a family might be a bit difficult, but you may be able to find a deal if you look hard enough and are willing to compromise. Rents are going up because so many people are moving here now. Definitely not South Tampa at that price. St. Pete maybe, but not sure how safe for what you want to pay.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmitch View Post
I can not do the cold anymore
seems we get these kinds of threads about this time every year........

Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
seems we get these kinds of threads about this time every year........
True. But seems as if there are more of them year round now. The cold didn't used to bother people so much, or at least it didn't back in the day. If someone was established in an area and had a good job, friends and family, etc. they didn't move. They just vacationed in Florida.

I think the difference now (and I'm not saying this applies to the OP) is that a lot more people are brokeass, pay is declining and taxes and expenses are rising. Some figure it's easier to be brokeass in warmer weather, so why not move, all things being equal?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM

Just wanted to mention to the OP, in the Tampa Bay area, generally speaking, no one cares if you're mixed race. Plenty of mixed race families here, it's not a problem, you will be respected. There are a number of mixed race military families in the Brandon/Riverview areas and although I'm not as familiar with New Tampa, I understand there's mixed race families there as well and I haven't heard of any problems. You won't be dissed. Your main challenge will be the rent you're looking to pay.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:30 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
True. But seems as if there are more of them year round now. The cold didn't used to bother people so much, or at least it didn't back in the day. If someone was established in an area and had a good job, friends and family, etc. they didn't move. They just vacationed in Florida.

I think the difference now (and I'm not saying this applies to the OP) is that a lot more people are brokeass, pay is declining and taxes and expenses are rising. Some figure it's easier to be brokeass in warmer weather, so why not move, all things being equal?
Just like the heat is bothering many here . Used to be OK for them too, lol. It is called climate change--changes in extremes (heat wave, freezing temps, flood, you name it) are very well documented.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
OP with that price you best bet is in suburbs. Do you know where will you be working? That could change things a lot. Don't worry about your mixed race in the bay area. As far as I can see, it is one of the best. We have all kind of mixtures and people in my neighborhood

Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Just like the heat is bothering many here . Used to be OK for them too, lol. It is called climate change--changes in extremes (heat wave, freezing temps, flood, you name it) are very well documented.
Yes, I handled the heat just fine for a long time, and in the past 5 years it is getting to me.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
OP with that price you best bet is in suburbs. Do you know where will you be working? That could change things a lot. Don't worry about your mixed race in the bay area. As far as I can see, it is one of the best. We have all kind of mixtures and people in my neighborhood
Exactly. I suggest Riverview, if it's close enough to work.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM

21 posts, read 22,819 times
Thank you all for your tips. I hate to say that living in NC we still have to worry about the race issue.
As for the weather. I spent half my life in PA and half my life between Hilton Head SC and Charlotte. The temps are getting colder and colder. I love the heat, I feel I am a much nicer person to be around when there is nice weather, sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay