Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,552 times

Advertisements

TampaStar, I also have been wondering how you are doing in Tampa now? It's been great following this thread and seeing such positiveness from you. It reminds me of my favorite quote "Bloom where you're planted!". I was an active duty military spouse for over fifteen years. We moved every two years! Some places were not so great (ok...some places outright sucked) but if you dwelt on that then you were going to have one heck of a miserable time while you were there. I learned to make the most of where ever I was. Explore the area, learn the culture, try the foods, make friends. We are moving to Tampa this summer once my oldest graduates high school. We are all extremly excited. We have enough moving and research experience to know that Tampa Will fit our lifestyle quite well. If we get there and find out that it doesn't, oh well, it's not like we HAVE to stay there the rest of our lives or anything.

So Kudos to you TampaStar! Bloom where you're planted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM

93 posts, read 418,668 times
Smile An update from a negative earlier post

Hi all, I posted this (rather long) thread last year when I went to Tampa and I have to say, I think I'm changing my mind about some of the things I noticed then. I just returned from seeing my sister again, and I noticed some really positive changes - I'll put my updates in caps:

1. Commuting. I will be basically starting over in the TB area, so I will most likely be working downtown. I'm used to living in a lovely area (I'm currently in Cupertino, CA) so I'd like the same after my move. I realized during this last trip that if I want to live in a "nice" area of Tampa Bay, I'll have probably an hour of commute time each way. What a downer!
===WHAT A SURPRISE! THE WORK ON THE INTERSTATE HAS ENDED AND THE TRAFFIC IS MUCH BETTER THAN IT WAS. ALSO THERE ARE ELECTRONIC SIGNS ABOVE THE ROADS STATING TRAVEL TIMES FROM ONE POINT TO ANOTHER. NOW IF ONLY THEY WOULD POST ACCIDENTS, THAT WOULD BE EVEN BETTER.

2. Roads - condition, car pooling, etc. I've been spoiled by CA traffic - they've done a lot over the past ten years here to create car pool lanes, meters on the on-ramps, signs stating how long it takes to get to certain areas. etc. Commuting in CA is actually much better than in Tampa, which surprises a lot of people. As someone said in another post, the roads in Tampa are simply not kept up. No car pool lanes - no meters. Traffic is HORRENDOUS during rush hour. If I was living in Lutz, it would take probably 45 minutes - 1 hour to get home. I know, I've been in that traffic many times. Things are better than they were - recently signs were put up that state travel times, but Tampa has a long way to go. == SEE ABOVE

3. If I stay here, I'll have an easier time finding a job during this recession than if I go to Tampa. I've been in CA all my life and I have a lot of connections with a lot of networks. I have nothing like that in Tampa. I realize that's specific to me, but it may pertain to others.
==THERE ARE MORE ADS FOR JOBS AT THIS TIME THAN THERE WERE LAST YEAR. THE ECONOMY IS SLOWLY PICKING UP, PLUS IN JANUARY COMPANIES HAVE APPROVED HEADCOUNT SO THEY CAN START HIRING, PLUS PEOPLE TEND TO JUMP SHIP AT THAT TIME.

4. I live in Silicon Valley and I'm a computer geek, which means I'm used to the latest technology being used...well, everywhere - work places, homes, you name it. In Tampa - at least to me - it's not the same. None of my sister's friends are on email. Most of them don't know how to turn on a computer. Again this is probably "me-specific", but I'm afraid that technologically, I might be unhappy there. Could be minor to others, but it's a little higher up on the priority list for me. =I THINK IN THIS AREA THINGS HAVE ALSO GOTTEN BETTER. NOTICE MORE PEOPLE ARE CONNECTED WITH IPODS, ETC.

5. Crime rate - much higher than where I currently live - so much that it's a real consideration. =UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS STILL TRUE

6. Downtown Tampa. What a waste of good space! It amazes me that they haven't developed more restaurants/sidewalk cafes, etc. there. It's all business and it closes up at 5 PM on weekdays and is a ghost town on weekends. Nobody home, nothing there. Zippo. Nada. Wasteland. ==DIDN'T SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT THIS TIME AROUND. I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT....WHERE ARE THE RESTAURANTS? DOWNTOWN COULD BE SUCH A MONEY-MAKER, DOESN'T ANYONE REALIZE THAT?

7. Salaries. I realize the cost of living is much lower in Tampa, but I would be earning approximately 30 - 35% (if I'm lucky) of what I make now (I'm an executive assistant). That means I'd be broke all the time. Hey, I went thru my poor times and hated it....I have enough money now to live comfortably and put some in the bank. We exec assts get bonuses and stock options in CA, which is unheard of in Tampa. I don't want to be poor again. ==THIS IS STILL TRUE, I'M AFRAID...
================================================== ======
My sister is currently living in a housing complex in Temple Terrace called Wildwood Acres, and I really liked it there. I stayed with her for a week at the end of February. Nice places, they're older but updated with new appliances. You can get a two-bedroom duplex with a fenced back yard for ~$800/month. They have a good pet policy and maintenance is spot-on - my sister says that if she needs something done, when she calls the maintenance man shows up a half hour later - can't get better than that!

So now I'm re-thinking my move to Tampa. I'm currently unemployed here in CA and interviewing, and have decided that I will probably move in 6 years. By that time I can retire (I'm 58), I can save some money before that happens, and I can live on Social Security.

I still think that Tampa will be a huge adjustment for me since I'm a California native, but I do want to be closer to my relatives.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheadabovewater View Post
6. Downtown Tampa. What a waste of good space! It amazes me that they haven't developed more restaurants/sidewalk cafes, etc. there. It's all business and it closes up at 5 PM on weekdays and is a ghost town on weekends. Nobody home, nothing there. Zippo. Nada. Wasteland. ==DIDN'T SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT THIS TIME AROUND. I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT....WHERE ARE THE RESTAURANTS? DOWNTOWN COULD BE SUCH A MONEY-MAKER, DOESN'T ANYONE REALIZE THAT?
People need to realize that downtown Tampa(where the big tall buildings are) is more of a Financial District at this time...60k work there Monday -Friday, but only about 2k actually live in downtown Tampa. i will say though that the adjacent areas of downtown(Harbour Island, Channelside, Ybor City, Davis Islands, Hyde Park, SoHo District) is where you will find lots of activity, restaurants, shops, etc. Downtown still has lots going on and reason to go(Performance Arts Center with 7 theaters, Tampa Theater, Museums of Art, Police, Fire, Photography, History Center, Forum -hockey, arena football, concerts, events, Riverwalk, Aquarium.....) There are over 100 restaurants downtown, and 1/4 of them are open all hours, not just during the week or lunch.
Tampa Downtown Partnership | Live, Learn, Work & Play in Downtown Tampa

Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 AM

93 posts, read 418,668 times
Thanks Tampaguy!

Downtown San Jose, CA was like Tampa maybe 20 years ago. They made the decision to totally revamp the area with restaurants with outside seating, built a few hotels, and made the area a lot of fun to be in.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM

12 posts, read 27,919 times
Default Love It

TampaStar,

This has been very exciting reading your posts as you moved to Tampa. The funny thing is, I am in the same boat as you were about a year ago.[/font]

I am currently from Upstate NY and recently my fiancé and I decided, after traveling to visit her best friend who lives in Tampa, that we're going to pick up and move to Tampa in June.

Right now, I am unemployed, well I substitute teach at local schools but the jobs are very spotty (maybe once or twice a week), and decided I am sick of the Northeast weather. Don't get me wrong, there is no weather better than a NY summer but it only happens about one month out of the year.

We also loved how the area had such much entertainment for couples in there early to mid-20's (she is a little older than I, she likes to remind me of that). Also, it seems, like in any bigger city (we live in a very small city), there are more opportunities. We are both college educated people, who are extremely hard workers and are willing to do whatever it takes.

It's been nice to read your positive feedback on moving, and gives me hope that my fiancé and I can do the same, and succeed.

We are lucky. My fiancé’s best friend said we could stay with her husband, in their two-bedroom apartment, until we get jobs and find a new place. I also have some savings, which will last us about 3 months, to use.

Thanks again for the positive threads. It’s nice seeing somebody doing something in this type of economy, instead of bitching about what they can’t do.

If there are any tips you could pass along to us. It would be much appreciated.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
The economy is slowly picking up? Uhhh... Unemployment went UP.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 6,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The economy is slowly picking up? Uhhh... Unemployment went UP.
The unemployment rate is not the only indicator for an economy.....I'm an economist and there are a lot of other things to look at in order to see an economic upswing. If you want to concentrate on something like that, by all means do, but I think it's important to concentrate on the positive indicators. I agree that the economy is slowly picking up across the country.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM

58 posts, read 194,332 times
sabal palms in boot ranch is very nice. i moved here 10 years ago with a black car, a brand new black car and would never do that again. the love bugs that get stuck on your car stick to it and it ruins the paint. they also use reclaimed water for sprinklers and it hit my car and ruined the paint. i actually like the storms, as it cools down high heat. it's a nice change. welcome.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,981 times
Goodluck here on jobs(because florida jobs pay crappy even in a good economy)you'll maybe have to look at a part-time job at walgreens,publix super market or some restaurant or hotel depending where you live here.but all these so called "educated"folks cant and wont get the kind of jobs they had a few years ago in the big city markets across the US now,let alone here in Tampa florida.
so hopefully you'll get used to coming home smelling like fast food,or a big headache from dealing with crappy customers all day at the local market job or fast food job.if you are lucky to even find that here.oh and hope you get a room or an apt for lower than 500.00 a month too on that pay.goodluck

Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,243 times
It seems to me that there are 2 categories of people who write on this forum - seekers and losers. And only a few positive observers who give neutral evaluation of the situation in Tampa.
I believe that if people want to change their life with a positive attitude towards people and the place they move to - they will get the result they want. Go for your dream! Listen to your heart, and don't let other people's minds to confuse you. Be realistic - go for the "impossible"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay