Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM

47 posts, read 197,685 times

Advertisements

Sorry I haven't gotten any notifications about this thread getting posts!
Everything with my new life is still great, especially since the weather is warming up finally!!
Like I've said before, if you are going to be negative then you will bring negative things your way! It goes both ways!
I love living in the Tampa Bay. It's beautiful to look at and there is always something to do.
We went to watch the sunset on the causeway on Sunday... 3 minutes from my house is this...

Last weekend we went to the Safety Harbor Seafood Fest. Great times. This coming weekend we're gonna hit up the St. Pete Crawfish festival. I've started volunteering at the Pinellas Humane Society. In June we'll be moving into a 2 bedroom apartment so our friends can come visit and a free place to stay since flippin' plane tickets are so expensive!
If you're thinking about moving to Tampa Bay, or anywhere for that matter, having your finances in order is a must. Have some money saved up and try your hardest to find a job! By hardest I mean really put everything into finding a job. Look for jobs that might not necessarily be in your career field but will pay the rent until you can really look and interview. It's hard to find a real job when you can't meet face to face. Go online and find tips for getting your dream job. Even if you think you are a good candidate, there might be tips or info you didn't know about.
Also, find a place you can afford, not necessarily the ideal place. Most apartment communities let you do a 7 month lease or even month to month (it's usually a little more expensive). Remember the goal is to succeed not just look successful.
Having a car in a hot climate brings different problems than living up north. I don't have to buy snow tires or buy ice scrapers, now I have to wash and wax my car regularly and make sure all my liquids are good. It's just different here.
That's what people need to remember... it's different!! That's what I love about it!! It's different.
I hope this helped. If anyone wants to ask more questions... shoot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
What a lovely Sunset! Wish I were there! Warms me up just looking at that picture. Ahhhhhh. Ok. I'm cold again. I'll be there soon!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 27,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStarvin View Post
Goodluck here on jobs(because florida jobs pay crappy even in a good economy)you'll maybe have to look at a part-time job at walgreens,publix super market or some restaurant or hotel depending where you live here.but all these so called "educated"folks cant and wont get the kind of jobs they had a few years ago in the big city markets across the US now,let alone here in Tampa florida.
so hopefully you'll get used to coming home smelling like fast food,or a big headache from dealing with crappy customers all day at the local market job or fast food job.if you are lucky to even find that here.oh and hope you get a room or an apt for lower than 500.00 a month too on that pay.goodluck
I've seen these posts a lot on the Tampa forum. And, I am not saying these statements are not true, but what some people seem to forget is, there really no jobs anywhere you go. Luckily, for city residents there are more opportunites for people to find A JOB. It may not be your dream job, but it's a job.

Last July, I was working for a Gannett newspaper in Binghamton, NY. I was a sports writer but at the bottom of the food chain. My goal was to work my way up, like most people in the career do. However, in July, after being there 11 months, I was layed off because of cutbacks.

Now, that job, though it was in the direction I wanted to go with my life, sucked. It paid 8.50 an hour, I was commuting 120 miles, four days a week. I also worked as a cook at a place closer to home. That job also paid 8.50 an hour.

Trying to find "good" job in this area of NY is difficult and I have a four-year degree and a lot of internship and real-life experiance (this sort of experiance, some college students don't have. They just have a piece of paper and decent grades).

So, trying to find a job anywhere is tough and some people need to sacrafice their so-called "pride" to make it.

Again, I am not saying what is fact or fiction, I'd just like to remind poster the job marker is tough everywhere. And to have a job which pays the bills, is not a bad thing.

Countdown to my Tampa journey has reached 80 days! I can't wait!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,231 times
TampaStar, I was happy to hear the good ending to your story! While reading your whole 11 pages worth of questions and answers, I finally had to "fast-forward" to see what happened in the end, and to get past all the negative comments about moving to FL.

I, too, live in VT (grew up here) but also lived in Jacksonville for several years and so I feel like I know both sides of the coin, so to speak. In my opinion, there are hardships in both places (and everywhere, I am sure) but NOTHING compares to the long, hard winters up here, and it is something that unless you live thru several winters consecutively you have no idea how horrible and depressing they can be! There is no way to compare afternoon rainstorms to months and months worth of snow and mud. I would take the rainstorms any day.

Good luck to you, thanks for sharing your story!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM

23 posts, read 29,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldlady View Post
It seems to me that there are 2 categories of people who write on this forum - seekers and losers. And only a few positive observers who give neutral evaluation of the situation in Tampa.
I believe that if people want to change their life with a positive attitude towards people and the place they move to - they will get the result they want. Go for your dream! Listen to your heart, and don't let other people's minds to confuse you. Be realistic - go for the "impossible"!
Here Here!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 AM

5 posts, read 10,001 times
Is there a particular reason you are thinking of moving to Palm Harbor? Because of all the foreclosures in FL there are really, really great deals on buying a condo if you or your boyfriend has a steady income and credit is okay. cheaper than renting. Does he have a job yet? if so where is it located?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,050 times
Default Congrats!

I'm so excited for you! So glad to hear it has all worked out so wonderfully. Keep your positive attitude and you'll be happy. (although it sounds like you know that already!)
The sunshine helps too, I'm sure!
My husband, six year old son, and I are also planning a move to the Tampa area. We live in eastern Washington State and it starts snowing here in October and doesn't really get hot until July. 10 weekends of sunshine is not enough!!
Anyway, congratulations. Hope to be a fellow Floridian soon!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:14 AM

27 posts, read 156,431 times
Heh, #1 thing about your car in florida is does the AC work. Mine does not.. I'm just too cheap to fix it.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,762 times
^
Is Florida a "difficult" state to get a car AC serviced? I could get mine done here before I come out there.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 PM

357 posts, read 799,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
^
Is Florida a "difficult" state to get a car AC serviced? I could get mine done here before I come out there.
Difficult, as in hard to find someone to do it? No. Will you get ripped off if you have is repaired here? Most likely, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay