Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 05:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times

Advertisements

Weird article. Tesla certainly is leading now, but the six year lead isn't based on how long it'd take a company to compete but the earliest time when industry "insiders" expect such technology to "take hold". And the "we can't do it" is just a single unnamed engineer who isn't actually representing the company he works for. On top of that, it's not even in reference to the technical hurdles but about protecting suppliers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 05:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Musk is another Bill Gates.
Bill Gates can afford any car and he bought a Taycan, prompting an Elon hissy fit.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/18/2...n-tesla-tweets

Old 02-18-2020, 05:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
While I have a lot of respect for Tesla, I also have a lot of respect for the best Japanese automakers. Honda for example, who isn't even in the robotics business, built a humanoid robot with environmental sensing, many degrees of freedom and fantastic dynamics back in 2000 - ahead of all other research groups for a decade or more, and it's not even their line of work! They've discontinued that R&D and been surpassed by MIT spinoff Boston Dynamics since then, but that took quite awhile, and I was just floored by this engineering tour de force. They weren't copying anyone.
Honda's humanoid robot reminds me of Lexus's hoverboard back in 2015. I believe that Honda and Lexus did these as a show of innovative/technical capacity without a realistic roadmap of implementing these technologies on their production cars.

This is where I think Tesla sets itself apart. They start with an idea, then they try to see it through execution. Tesla has been talking about FSD for years and they continue to talk about it because they are hellbent on making it a reality.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:39 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
And i just read this Now this is funny showing a pickup before they even know how to produce them in mass quantities. Like the F150 one a minutes or 102 an hour. And a all new F150 EV before 2022.

While Tesla intends to produce the Cybertruck starting in 2021, the automaker has admitted it doesn't yet know how to manufacture the concept truck it showcased on November 21. On top of this, concerns regarding the Cybertruck's ability to comply with pedestrian crash safety standards and Tesla's track record of struggling to get its products into mass production stand as roadblocks

Last edited by easy62; 02-18-2020 at 05:51 PM..

Old 02-18-2020, 08:21 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
The headline misunderstands a lot. It's just a computer, not some magical technology. You could build a more powerful one with no issues today. The AI is pretty good, but that's all software, and there are a few non-Tesla non-car companies that are developing similar stuff which is sooner than 6 years away. It's just a licensing deal away. And the six year thing is a misunderstanding too - it's when the tech is expected to take hold, not be introduced. Any technology that isn't limited by physical things is really only a couple of years away from scratch. I think the other car companies are just being cautious right now, letting Tesla test the market before they invest too heavily themselves. I think we need a bit more context around the remark that the Japanese engineer said about not being able to do it. Design it? Make it? Sell it?

Yes, Tesla is ahead of the rest of the market, but not six years. They are also willing to take the most risks, which is another advantage the older companies don't have.
The article isn't about the computer... did you read it? It's about the supply chain and manufacturing.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
AMC did they used General Motors-built 2.8 L in the early 80’ until Chrysler bought JEEP.
You're talking about a motor... not an entire manufacturing process...

Old 02-18-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, as investors think among with others, Tesla is tech company that builds cars, lol. I know it is almost semantics, but there is a bit of real difference, which investors over the years have pounced on, and forgiven in this regards. So it would be expected Tesla would exceed automotive manufacturers in this area. It would actually be rather disappointing and troubling if they did not.
Most people don't consider supply chain and manufacturing to be tech. Why are you lumping them together?

Old 02-18-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Companies do Reverse Engineering and do copy others. That is how Japanese manufacturing took over in may areas such as automobiles but let us not forget the Japanese generally not only copied something, they improved it. If not for the Japanese coming into the American automotive market, the US automobile companies would still be selling us planned obsolescence, crab vehicles.

I know of one example. In the 1980's 3 out of 4 engineers at Xerox were mechanical engineers. 3 of 4 engineers at companies like Konica, Minolta were electrical engineers. Xerox was hung up on moving the paper and as a result, lost their market.
I have no doubt that this will happen... but it's not something they can update in a model year. It will take 6 years according to the engineer.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Base line is like this: Musk is another Bill Gates. He creates nothing. He's not a designer, nor an engineer, nor a scientists. He's a promoter, a projecteur.
How did Bill Gates create nothing? He wrote a lot of the software by hand. He optimized DOS by hand. He was a bit of a computer science genius. He has a floating point compiler on an 88 chip... which played a large part of DOS's success. He also designed the software licensing system we appreciate today. He just happened to be able to run a company, architect large projects, and sell software.

Elon is very much the same. He was hands on in PayPal.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And i just read this Now this is funny showing a pickup before they even know how to produce them in mass quantities. Like the F150 one a minutes or 102 an hour. And a all new F150 EV before 2022.

While Tesla intends to produce the Cybertruck starting in 2021, the automaker has admitted it doesn't yet know how to manufacture the concept truck it showcased on November 21. On top of this, concerns regarding the Cybertruck's ability to comply with pedestrian crash safety standards and Tesla's track record of struggling to get its products into mass production stand as roadblocks
I don't understand what point you're trying to make. This is how modern companies operate. It's the Amazon model. The only difference is Tesla does it publicly rather than internally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla