Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You misunderstood my entire comment. I said teams that were picked to be contenders for the superbowl played terribly at least on one side of the football (offense or defense) this past weekend. This is true.
Colts are picked to rep the AFC
Chargers are picked to rep the AFC
Vikings are picked to rep the NFC
Jets are picked to rep the AFC
Cowboys are picked to rep the NFC
ALL lost this past weekend because either their offense or their defense played terrible. I don't see why that so hard to understand. As far as the Chargers showing some offense compared to Dallas.

Total Yards
San Diego 389
Dallas 380

Passing Yards
San Diego 280
Dallas 277

Rushing Yards
San Diego 109
Dallas 103

First Downs
San Diego 18
Dallas 24

3rd down efficiency
San Diego 4-15
Dallas 5-13

San Diego scored one more touchdown because of our ineptitude in the red zone that must be addressed. But Dallas did indeed show offense. So what are you talking about? BTW, I don't care to hear about the injuries. Dallas had them as well. It happens.
First, I have to say, who was talking about injuries? And what good does a lot of yards do, but no points? Dallas has been that way since last season.

Quote:
No problem considering it upsets you and the rest of America off that we have a nickname.
Why would that upset me? It's a nickname. This is another problem with Cowboys fans. They seem to believe that people are jealous of them that they have a nickname called "America's Team". Nobody cares.

Quote:
And trading them for what? Unless the Packers have a TACKLE, not guard, they can trade to us, I don't want it.
What good is it to have those three running backs? Eight carries for two and five carries for another is not enough to get in the rhythm of the game. The Cowboys need to trade at least one of them. It makes too much sense for Jerry Jones to do it though.

Quote:
I merely only showed you an example of teams that had bad starts and successful endings. It happens more often than not especially recently.
And like I said, there are much, MUCH more other examples to counter your argument. Not to mention the Cowboys' first team has looked bad since the preseason (which you repeatedly dismissed as them playing "vanilla").

Quote:
If one of those boards you are referring to is Cowboyszone, please stop exaggerating. There is only one thread and that was posted during the Texans/Colts game. That board RARELY talks about the Texans. In fact, they never talk about the Texans.
Similar to the Texans site. Never talk about the Cowboys unless they do something stupid (like Sunday). We worry about our own team and division rivals.

Quote:
Yes. Just like the Steelers do not care about the Eagles. The Redskins do not care about the Ravens. The Dolphins do not care about the Bucs or Jags. Why should they? Because they're in the same state? Pfft.
Shows how much you know. There is a reason why the Skins and Ravens fight over TV coverage in that area (another example coming up this weekend). Steelers don't care about the Eagles? Yeah, okay.

Quote:
I really could care less how Jerry would feel. I'm talking about myself here. I and the majority of the fanbase won't care. Before EVERY game, tv stations take shots at a city. Just like the Philly inquirier takes shots at cities as well before games. Houston isn't any different.
Okay, you're talking about yourself, yet you try to say things like no one cares. I just gave you examples showing that your own owner cares. And I have hardly seen what you're talking about.

Quote:
Well you do. Houston fans are obsessed. Example is on the posts on the Houston board.
Cowboys fans want Houston fans to be obsessed about their team SO bad. It's ridiculous. Please. You're posting from far away line. I'm right in the middle of it and it's a lot different than what you seem to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM

216 posts, read 444,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817
You have to be one idiot to question the Dallas Cowboys importance to the NFL. Largest fan base in the country and 2nd richest sports franchise in the world.

Building a new billion dollar stadium does that.

That and the fact that people from all over the country and world choose to purchase Dallas Cowboy merchandise, even countries that don't watch American football.

The Dallas Cowboys make 23% more profit than the second most popular NFL franchise, the Steelers. That is why the Cowboys are dubbed "America's Team," regardless of whether it's a season that they're playing for Superbowls and other seasons where they're trying to just not getting embarrassed. It goes back to probably the greatest PR campaign in the history of professional sports.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
That and the fact that people from all over the country and world choose to purchase Dallas Cowboy merchandise, even countries that don't watch American football.

The Dallas Cowboys make 23% more profit than the second most popular NFL franchise, the Steelers. That is why the Cowboys are dubbed "America's Team," regardless of whether it's a season that they're playing for Superbowls and other seasons where they're trying to just not getting embarrassed. It goes back to probably the greatest PR campaign in the history of professional sports.
America? Yes. World? That's a stretch. And the Cowboys are dubbed "America's Team" due to an NFL Films video back in the 70s.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
America? Yes. World? That's a stretch. And the Cowboys are dubbed "America's Team" due to an NFL Films video back in the 70s.
As far football is goes it would be the most well known football franchise in world.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
As far football is goes it would be the most well known football franchise in world.
Prove it.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:34 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Not many people outside of America follow American football. I thought everyone knew that.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not many people outside of America follow American football. I thought everyone knew that.
nope, the only people who know that are the people who don't live in N. TX

Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
First, I have to say, who was talking about injuries? And what good does a lot of yards do, but no points? Dallas has been that way since last season.
You brought up that Minnesota did not have their number 1 receiver. The reason he is out is because he is injured. You specifically alluded that Minnesota offense didn't play well because they did not have their number 1 receiver. Not my comment, but yours. Also, my comment was just to show you that Dallas offense moved the ball just as well as San Diego. You said San Diego showed more offense. Well not by much. In fact, both underperformed and San Diego only scored a grand total of ONE more touchdown than us.

Quote:
Why would that upset me? It's a nickname. This is another problem with Cowboys fans. They seem to believe that people are jealous of them that they have a nickname called "America's Team". Nobody cares.
People ARE jealous of it. That's why the media always anoints some other team as America's Team if they somehow "captures" the heart of the nation for a particular time. Such as the New Orleans Saints in 2006 and 2009 or the New England Patriots in 2001 and 2003-2005. Or how about you see comments such as "They were never my team to begin with, how are they America's Team." You see all type of comments always discussing this nickname. To say otherwise is very ignorant.

Quote:
What good is it to have those three running backs? Eight carries for two and five carries for another is not enough to get in the rhythm of the game. The Cowboys need to trade at least one of them. It makes too much sense for Jerry Jones to do it though.
I don't think you get it. WE DON'T NEED A GUARD. WE NEED A TACKLE. And the amount of carries is not due to us having little running backs. It's due to the coaching staff wanting to be pass happy on offense. Now maybe in the offseason, we can discuss that. But right now, if they are happy with having three, and they don't know they can't get much for any of them if they do trade them, then they need to stay. Simple as that. Don't know what the dig at Jerry was about.

Quote:
And like I said, there are much, MUCH more other examples to counter your argument. Not to mention the Cowboys' first team has looked bad since the preseason (which you repeatedly dismissed as them playing "vanilla").
I'm sure there are examples. That's not my point on bringing that argument up though. The point was that week 1 does not a season make. That's right. I said it last month and I'll say it now. What we ran in the preseason was vanilla. We did not run half the plays in the preseason that we did against the Skins. As a result, we put up 380 yards. However, penalties and inconsistency from Garrett caused us not to score more and have more yards because we easily could have went well over 400 yards on them as well passed the ball well and ran the ball well.

Quote:
Similar to the Texans site. Never talk about the Cowboys unless they do something stupid (like Sunday). We worry about our own team and division rivals.
Well it's about time you grew out of your obsession of big brother Dallas.

Quote:
Shows how much you know. There is a reason why the Skins and Ravens fight over TV coverage in that area (another example coming up this weekend). Steelers don't care about the Eagles? Yeah, okay.
I know alot. When do the Ravens and Skins fight over TV Coverage? They have different markets and nobody in Washington cares about the Ravens. I lived in Washington for five years and nobody talks about the Ravens or thinks about the Ravens. Hell, the Cowboys are even showed more in Washington over the Ravens. If you want to see the map to let me show you, let me know. But don't call anybody out on something you know nothing about. And Pittsburgh fans do not think about the Eagles. They are far more concerned with Baltimore and Cleveland. They hate Oakland and Dallas far more than Philadelphia. I knew many Steeler fans in Washington and none of them cared about the Eagles.
Quote:
Okay, you're talking about yourself, yet you try to say things like no one cares. I just gave you examples showing that your own owner cares. And I have hardly seen what you're talking about.
Again, nobody cares. We would hate it more if our actual "RIVAL" played in the superbowl as opposed to anyone else.
Quote:
Cowboys fans want Houston fans to be obsessed about their team SO bad. It's ridiculous. Please. You're posting from far away line. I'm right in the middle of it and it's a lot different than what you seem to believe.
Again, it's about time. It's about time your fanbase grew up. We don't want Houston to be obsessed over Dallas. We were trying to figure out why you was obsessed with us in the first place. Because they're in the same state? Ha!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Must the Houstonians hate on Dallas, Texas for everything. Gee...I don't get it...Pure jealously...It just proves that Dallas is top dog in the state. Im from Fort Worth and its very noticable the general hate Houston has for Dallas.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You brought up that Minnesota did not have their number 1 receiver. The reason he is out is because he is injured. You specifically alluded that Minnesota offense didn't play well because they did not have their number 1 receiver. Not my comment, but yours. Also, my comment was just to show you that Dallas offense moved the ball just as well as San Diego. You said San Diego showed more offense. Well not by much. In fact, both underperformed and San Diego only scored a grand total of ONE more touchdown than us.
And Minnesota didn't play well because their number one was out. It's the truth. What would the Cowboys have done if Miles was out?

Quote:
People ARE jealous of it. That's why the media always anoints some other team as America's Team if they somehow "captures" the heart of the nation for a particular time. Such as the New Orleans Saints in 2006 and 2009 or the New England Patriots in 2001 and 2003-2005. Or how about you see comments such as "They were never my team to begin with, how are they America's Team." You see all type of comments always discussing this nickname. To say otherwise is very ignorant.
That doesn't mean people are jealous of the nickname, if someone in the media tries to claim a team as "America's Team". Get real.

Quote:
I don't think you get it. WE DON'T NEED A GUARD. WE NEED A TACKLE. And the amount of carries is not due to us having little running backs. It's due to the coaching staff wanting to be pass happy on offense. Now maybe in the offseason, we can discuss that. But right now, if they are happy with having three, and they don't know they can't get much for any of them if they do trade them, then they need to stay. Simple as that. Don't know what the dig at Jerry was about.
Did I ever say the Cowboys needed a guard? NO. And of course they are happy with having three capable running backs, but there is a reason why they started listening to offers for Choice not too long ago. Still, a running back can't get into stride with so few carries. And I'm sure you understand what the dig at Jerry was about. Not hard to figure out.

Quote:
I'm sure there are examples. That's not my point on bringing that argument up though. The point was that week 1 does not a season make. That's right. I said it last month and I'll say it now. What we ran in the preseason was vanilla. We did not run half the plays in the preseason that we did against the Skins. As a result, we put up 380 yards. However, penalties and inconsistency from Garrett caused us not to score more and have more yards because we easily could have went well over 400 yards on them as well passed the ball well and ran the ball well.
You also played an overrated Skins defense. Haslett has never ran a 3-4 defense before, and is trying to work out a few things. Then, you have Fat Albert not even trying to do anything and its hurting his team. Let's see what you guys do to Chicago and Houston first.

Quote:
Well it's about time you grew out of your obsession of big brother Dallas.
If that's what you want to believe. Couldn't be further from the truth. There is usually about two or three Cowboys threads a year at the Texans site, and one of them is a primetime gameday thread. You want so badly to believe that Texans fans are obsessed with the Cowboys. It's so funny. Hell, the current "Houston Texans are better than the Cowboys" thread in the Houston section of this board was not even made by a Texans fan!

Quote:
I know alot. When do the Ravens and Skins fight over TV Coverage? They have different markets and nobody in Washington cares about the Ravens. I lived in Washington for five years and nobody talks about the Ravens or thinks about the Ravens. Hell, the Cowboys are even showed more in Washington over the Ravens. If you want to see the map to let me show you, let me know. But don't call anybody out on something you know nothing about. And Pittsburgh fans do not think about the Eagles. They are far more concerned with Baltimore and Cleveland. They hate Oakland and Dallas far more than Philadelphia. I knew many Steeler fans in Washington and none of them cared about the Eagles.
Seriously? Here is a link the Redskins fans discussing this: CBS not showing Skins game until AFTER Ravens are over......

Guess you didn't know as much as you thought you did.

Quote:
Again, nobody cares. We would hate it more if our actual "RIVAL" played in the superbowl as opposed to anyone else.
But the difference is Houston would be playing in Cowboys Stadium this year. I already gave you the examples about Jerry Jones, and that's more than enough to let you know what he would think about the idea. Also, speak for yourself, not everyone. I'm here in DFW and see this with my own eyes. You're way up there in Chicago, what do you see?

Quote:
Again, it's about time. It's about time your fanbase grew up. We don't want Houston to be obsessed over Dallas. We were trying to figure out why you was obsessed with us in the first place. Because they're in the same state? Ha!
You guys just want us to be obsessed with you all. I have no idea why that is. Yes, with the Texans winning their first ever game as a franchise against Dallas, it was a sweet moment and talked about for years, but that has long since been over with. Cowboys fans are still stuck in 2005 with them thinking Texans fans really care about the Cowboys like that.

And just an FYI, even the Dallas media up here (while watching Fox Sports Southwest), are saying Week 3 is the "Texas Super Bowl". So, you can quit with that bs about Houston being so obsessed with Dallas.

Quote:
Must the Houstonians hate on Dallas, Texas for everything. Gee...I don't get it...Pure jealously...It just proves that Dallas is top dog in the state.
Well, at least you're finally admitting Fort Worth ain't ****. But, I check the Dallas section every once and a while, and there are so many threads about Houston in there (especially Mister Nifty). I guess you're completely wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas