Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The black population in Dallas county went almost totally for Obama yet the county was barely blue. What that means is that the Hispanics broke for Romney and Cruz. The same thing occurred in Harris (City of Houston).
A 16% victory in Dallas County isn't barely blue.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks TX will turn blue does not know any Hispanics or how assimilation works. Nor have they looked at the election results in the districts where there are significant mixed white/hispanic populations. Nor have they looked at education trends. Kids' views come from their peers. These kids peers will be the white populations.
I think demographics will turn Texas blue in the future and I'm Hispanic, so I'd like to think I know Hispanics pretty well.

Quote:
I speak Spanish pretty well. My babysitter is Hispanic and one tenant is Hispanic. My son's best friend is Hispanic. On one of my farms a caretaker is Tejano. They like Cruz a lot. And they like the Bush family a lot. They fear government.

My wife ran a mid-size firm that had a majority Hispanic workforce. The senior managers were quite liberal, but the rank and file were conservative and the latter had a lot of kids and lived in mixed neighborhoods.
We can all offer anecdotal evidence. For example, my whole family / Hispanic friends saw Cruz as someone the Republicans were using to try and get a chunk of the Hispanic vote. He's Southern Baptist, not Catholic and Cuban (Canadian, technically ), so he doesn't have much in common with Texas Hispanics politically or socially speaking. It might come as surprise to some people, but based on my experience with friends and family, Hispanics are more socially liberal than you'd think. Take my very devout Catholic grandmother who shocked the hell out of me when she told me she supported same-sex marriage because it was between them and God.

Anyways, I look to voting trends and I see no push of Hispanics to the GOP. Someone like Cruz, who isn't even a Texas Hispanic, and a couple of Hispanic house members doesn't say much. The trend I see is Texas becoming more like Mississippi, where whites are staunchly (90%) GOP and Minorities are staunchly Democratic.

Quote:
One of my wife's relatives is a major figure in a number of counties in West Texas. He is a major liberal yet he is also a racist, like many rural democrats. Those counties are majority Hispanic yet they broke for Cruz and he told me that once he passes away, along with many of the other older FDR voters, the Hispanic leadership will step up and join the younger GOP leadership and the county will stay solid GOP.
Ever consider that Hispanics have much lower turnout than white Texans? I'd imagine white West Texans vote GOP way above Texas average, add low Hispanic turnout and it's no surprise Romney / Cruz won these counties.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
To be frank, your logic leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing in your post would be able to be backed up by factual data (statistics).

1) Dallas county did not "barely" vote Obama. It was 57-42%. Also of note is that Democrats completely swept the local Dallas county offices. Of the 8 county seats that were open, Republicans won a grand total of zero seats. Dallas county is left with one Republican commissioner. The city of Dallas went 66% Obama.

Dallas county is not "barely" blue. It is totally and completely blue.

2) Your dreams about Hispanics, all of the sudden, voting Republican as a block are unfounded and statistically incorrect. Outside of Cuban, Hispanics are solidly Democrat. 70% of Hispanics nation wide voted Obama. Bringing it back to Texas, why do you think the Rio Grande Valley is solidly Blue? Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are in similar situations.

Another thing you have to consider is voter turnout. Whites come out stronger than Latino's right now. However, if you look at formerly red states turned blue (ie. California), the Hispanic growth was overwhelmingly a part of that. Over time, its going to change.

Republicans have burned a lot of bridges and need to do some work to get in better with the Latino Community.
RGV being the poorest area of the state might have something to do about. The middle class Hispanics in San Antonio voted for the republicans but they are outnumbered by the poor Hispanics of Bexar county.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM

392 posts, read 749,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
RGV being the poorest area of the state might have something to do about. The middle class Hispanics in San Antonio voted for the republicans but they are outnumbered by the poor Hispanics of Bexar county.
I'll say I was surprised it was as close as it was in Bexar. Harris was REALLY surprising to me though. I figured they'd swing much harder to the left.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
I'll say I was surprised it was as close as it was in Bexar. Harris was REALLY surprising to me though. I figured they'd swing much harder to the left.
You can chalk that up to Harris County/Houston just being huge. It's almost twice the size of Dallas County, and as such contains more red suburban area than Dallas county does.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The black population in Dallas county went almost totally for Obama yet the county was barely blue. What that means is that the Hispanics broke for Romney and Cruz. The same thing occurred in Harris (City of Houston).

Anyone who thinks TX will turn blue does not know any Hispanics or how assimilation works. Nor have they looked at the election results in the districts where there are significant mixed white/hispanic populations. Nor have they looked at education trends. Kids' views come from their peers. These kids peers will be the white populations.

I speak Spanish pretty well. My babysitter is Hispanic and one tenant is Hispanic. My son's best friend is Hispanic. On one of my farms a caretaker is Tejano. They like Cruz a lot. And they like the Bush family a lot. They fear government.

My wife ran a mid-size firm that had a majority Hispanic workforce. The senior managers were quite liberal, but the rank and file were conservative and the latter had a lot of kids and lived in mixed neighborhoods.

One of my wife's relatives is a major figure in a number of counties in West Texas. He is a major liberal yet he is also a racist, like many rural democrats. Those counties are majority Hispanic yet they broke for Cruz and he told me that once he passes away, along with many of the other older FDR voters, the Hispanic leadership will step up and join the younger GOP leadership and the county will stay solid GOP.
I'm fluent in Spanish, I have taught bilingual in both the Valley and Houston and my wife is Mexican-American. I work with Mexican/Mexican-American communities on a regular basis.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with your analysis more.

Hispanics are going to make this state blue.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Republicans have burned a lot of bridges and need to do some work to get in better with the Latino Community.
The Republican Party is done, anyway. It has deserved its appellation as the "Stupid Party" for quite a while. No pride, no leadership and no guts. And it is NOT a conservative party...it just tends to be a little more resistant to accepting the leftist direction of the country that the democrats have almost openly embraced.

Off on a related tangent? I have said before and say again, I have nothing but complete contempt for the Republican Party. I am a conservative, not a repuplican. There is a difference.

Anyway, the hispanic (call it Latino, whatever) issue vis a vis the Republican Party? It is a fools errand, and a lot of the reasons the Republican Party is self-destructing. Ever more the hispanic community is becoming alienated from their first generation roots. Nowdays (and I see it every day in my profession), these kids embrace that gansta culture. History teaches -- on both sides

Great column by Ann Coulter. Like her, love her, hate her, she speaks the truth:

Ann Coulter - Official Home Page

I will say it more directly. Why should anyone give a damn about reaching out to a "Latino" community, anyway, especially, if the same does not embrace conservative American values, in the first place?

Who in the "Latino" community wants to see this country turned back into the one that many swam a river to get away from?

Fine if some "dont". But at the same time? Keep in mind the golden goose

The Latino community wouldn't like it much...

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-07-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Great column by Ann Coulter. Like her, love her, hate her, she speaks the truth:

ks.
You had me until this. Ann Coulter is a venomous, hateful woman who rarely speaks pure truth. She get through by distortion and blatant lies.

Before you accuse me of being one sided, I feel the exact same way about her liberal counterparts like Lawrence O'Donnell and Ed Schultz as well as her Friends like Sean Hannity. Liars, every single one of them.

I hold out some hope for Bill O Riley and Jon Stewart.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Sorry, but that right there kills a lot of cred you had in that post.

Let's be real about something. Ann Coulter (whether or not she truly believes in what she's saying) is just an attention/media wh*re. Period.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Sorry, but that right there kills a lot of cred you had in that post.

Let's be real about something. Ann Coulter (whether or not she truly believes in what she's saying) is just an attention/media wh*re. Period.
Yep, let's "be real" about something. No problem at all.

It comes down to, are her facts correct or not? Just because one doesn't like something and the way it is presented, doesn't make the underlying premise, false.

What a lot of people really, truly, despise about Ann Coulter is that she is not intimidated; she goes for the eyeballs and groins of where it hits the liberals where it really hurts. That is to say, she has an instinct to pick up on the weakness of leftists....which is their hyprocricy as in what they say and what they do...in a way that infuriates the liberals because they cannot deny it

Now, to be fair? Yeah, I have to admit, I sometimes wonder if some of this hasn't gone to her head a bit and that she would revert to her natural ability to pick pins in pompous liberal balloon, as oppossed blowing up her own....

Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You had me until this. Ann Coulter is a venomous, hateful woman who rarely speaks pure truth. She get through by distortion and blatant lies.
What has she ever said that cannot be backed up by facts, as she sees them? Ann Coulter writes personal colums, and no one has to accept them as truth. And yes, a certain writing style comes into it. It HAS to, or the person would not be sucessful as a syndicated columnist.

I know you know all this...but why do YOU use such negative, personally, applied adjectives as "venomous" and "hateful"? Those are pretty stong words, in their own right, you know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas