Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,489,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Dallas has best potential, it has a vision and a civic and community leaders that seem to desire this. They're well under way to transforming the rather sadly neglected downtown into something resembling an interesting city. It has great plans to connect downtown/uptown/victory park into a cohesive CBD. There is really interesting development going on in the southside. It has all the resources in the world to execute on the vision and the momentum seems to be there. If the Trinity plan comes together and actually gets built, Dallas could achieve world class status in a century. What it lacks is any kind of natural beauty.

Houston like Dallas has every resource in the world to do tremendous things and it is making great strides, but the focus is far more diffused and not nearly as cohesive as Dallas. Even worse than Dallas, 90% of it is just plain butt ugly.

Austin has tremendous natural appeal and occupies the best part of Texas. It is seat to the best university and Capitol and seems to attract young creatve types by the 1000s. And for whatever reason seems to be an "it" city that attracts tremendous interest everywhere. But it really lacks a sense of greatness and people seem to be content and even prefer to keep Austin set in neutral or even reverse. It does not have nearly the economy of Dallas or Houston and no where near a financial center. It could one day be a world class city, but maybe 200 years from now..it is not on that tregectory at the moment.

San Antonio has no hope whatsoever.
Great summary and fair criticisms! I agree with 99% of this. Dallas has world class shopping, dining, architecture, medical facilities, sports, and economy. I think the Trinity River Project has the potential to be a game changer. Dallas does fall behind the pack in natural beauty. However, if executed right The Trinity could put us over the edge. It's hard to tell from the renderings, and visualize something that been hidden for so long. Dallas's most beautiful areas are only enjoyed by the wealthy. The prettiest areas are also very expensive, and were developed into private neighborhoods decades ago. The creeks in Preston Hollow, park cities, Lakewood, Turtle Creek, and Oak Cliff/Kessler Park are all beautiful, but hidden.

Dallas is making big changes in it's core, and I like that developers and city planners are preparing for the future. It must continue to build a city for people and not cars!
Dallas experiencing strong growth in downtown, Uptown population | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
You missed my point completely. Houston and Dallas area including Plano are already great cites due to a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is a good economy with more focus on manufacturing which generates great economic impacts by importing money to an economy in exchange for goods produced.

I see no need to wait or see which city makes some list in the future first.

I already know we are growing for the reasons above and more but a race to be first on some list of great cities means nothing to me. The so called already great cities are not where I want to live. I like it here NOW with the friendly people, diversity, pro business environment and cost of living. Lists are just lists for whose dog is bigger arguments that mean nothing to me.
I'm happy you have city pride, but why are you bringing up Plano in a conversation about world class cities? You proudly describe it as an anti-world class city, and there's no need to defend it or people who choose that. It's safe and a great place to raise children, and the only world class aspects of Plano are it's exemplary schools, and diverse immigrants. Other than that, what on earth is so great about Plain ole Plano? It's probably the most mediocre place on earth. It's located in one of the ugliest parts of DFW, terrible water, the restaurants and "nightlife" (I use that term loosely) there consist of Dallas based and national chains, very few good non-ethnic start ups, large% of the pop. depend on Dallas for employment, aside from DT Plano the city is almost completely void of character, tiny art scene, not a great place for singles or young professionals. Hypothetically: the local economy goes to ****.... there's nothing keeping people in Plano. No one would care about Plano's excellent schools if they can't get a job, and no one would stick around for the scenery either! Plus, Plano freeloads on Dallas for more than just jobs. Collin County is too cheap to fund a hospital of its own so they depend on Dallas tax payers to keep Parkland Hospital a level 1 trauma center to treat their seriously injured, uninsured, and the mentally ill patients(that wind up in Dallas Shelters). It's important to make a city as livable as possible, or "world class" to attract the very best, and to inspire creativity! Dallas does need to learn things from Plano though. Dallas schools are a mess, and they need to attract more middle and upper middle class families into the city. Plano has been winning that game for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
World Class cities are cities that have a core competency in something important that is demonstrated over a long period of time. Once these competencies are demonstrated the other aspects of world class recognition will follow. I don't think you can just click your heels and say We want to be a world class city three times and make it come true without them. If you want a city to be world class that is not now, you need to become a world class center of something, being regional is not going to cut this mustard.
I normally disagree with you, and you've said some outrageous stuff about Dallas; but I think you just defined world class! Agree 100% this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
I highly dissagree san antonio and houston. Have the most potential. Till this day san antone is the most visited city in tex
False!
Dallas gets 30 million visitors a year(not counting FW)
San Antonio gets 26 million a year.

Dallas gets 4 million more a year, BIG difference...
Sources:
Dallas Statistics & Facts | Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau
Interesting Facts :: Official San Antonio Visitor Information: VisitSanAntonio.com

Quote:
Paris
Berlin
Mexico City
Frankfurt
Vienna
Great list! I see a lot of similarities between Dallas and Frankfurt. Both are big financial centers, big airports, and both are underestimated business destinations

Houston would be Hamburg. Both port cities, Hamburg is the second largest city in Germany, but few people know that, just like many people underestimate Houston, and both have a blue collar reputations

[quote=Johnhw2;29107489]
Quote:

You appear in capable of understanding people who see things different than you do. Open your mind, you just might learn something. Houston is not 90% butt ugly to me but I don't worship high density, train based inner old school cities as you seem to
LOL! Still going with that tired old 1950's Hollywood stereotype that government highways and sprawl are the only way to "grow". Urban planners are pro growth and pro business. They just aren't business as usual. Even the suburbs that you seem to idolize have realized this.Dallas suburbs embracing transit-oriented development - Houston Tomorrow

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-15-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Thumbs up Houston "already" world class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieindallas View Post
i normally disagree with you, and you've said some outrageous stuff about dallas; but i think you just defined world class! Agree 100% this time
I must admit, I'm a little flattered, and a bit honored, that you have so graciously found yourself in agreement with me on this one definition. However I'm afraid our cumbaya moment will be short lived I'm sure you have some disagreement on my post stating Houston, has the greatest potential to be, "world class" first (if not already), based on this definition of world class. Oh well, life goes on

Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
What I know is it takes more than cool developments, popularity, and a "vision" to be world class.

I'm sorry, but when you have two cities in the same state gunning for that title, I'd bet that most world travelers would put their money on that state's port city, with the most influential economy, most diverse population, and higher level of cultural ammenities.

Quite frankly, I don't think either city is all that keen on what it takes to be world class, but I do believe Houston is closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas