Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I thought Houston was already considered a world class city??
It is by most people, how ever urban planners have a definition that includes vibe and density that newer cities (which do not follow the failed design of high cost old school cities out of the reach of most people and families). Houston doesnt now and wont ever meet their definition, thank goodness.

Houston is world class by normal standards.....urban planners are like all professions, they speak in code and have a secret handshake that mortals who simply live in a city cant possibly understand.

I agree with you completely...Houston is world class is Dallas is right on the edge of being so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
It is by most people, how ever urban planners have a definition that includes vibe and density that newer cities (which do not follow the failed design of high cost old school cities out of the reach of most people and families). Houston doesnt now and wont ever meet their definition, thank goodness.

Houston is world class by normal standards.....urban planners are like all professions, they speak in code and have a secret handshake that mortals who simply live in a city cant possibly understand.

I agree with you completely...Houston is world class is Dallas is right on the edge of being so.
Yup, right up there with Paris, Rome, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Vancouver, New York....Houston

World Class cities are world class. A status not yet achieved by any Texas city, but achievable within a century (maybe 50 years for Dallas) considering the considerable resources at disposal.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM

692 posts, read 856,242 times
DFW resident here.

Dallas will qualify as a world-class city when it no longer needs to reach out and lean on the entire DFW metroplex to salvage its ego. The actual city of Dallas simply does not rate in this category, and likes to think that it drives the commercial importance of the region, rather than benefitting from it. Just ain't so. I live here and work here, and the unromantic truth is that this is a surprisingly provincial little burg.

Houston's muscular import/export sector makes it far more likely to become a globally-influential city than Dallas, though it obviously has quite a ways to go. Could Houston reach the kind of global influence Chicago has, or even San Francisco? Yeah, it could, with steady growth and continued economic diversification.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
I guess what should have really been clarified is what the definition of world class is. What makes a city world class?

Im going to respectfully disagree with happycrow in the sense that a region can be world class. Every city has a huge amount of their importance come from the outlying regions. In Houston, even though there is more that comes from the city, many of the economically important areas come from the far flung areas of the city. I dont even need to mention that Dallas and DFW are like that too. Los Angeles is like that, the Bay Area is like that, and even DC too. What the region offers is just as good as what the city offers in many cases. The difference lies in where you live relative to it all.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM

692 posts, read 856,242 times
@justme02

In terms of linking a regional economy to the global one? (first measure on that global-cities page on wikipedia), yes, clearly. In terms of cultural trends, art, interest to global headlines, political influence, "we do it this way" examplar? Dallas does a lot of stuff just plain wrong: big showy architecture, but an inability to fill its potholes. People pay attention to what happens in Chicago, or SF, or DC. Who pays attention to Dallas?

But, as you said, fundamentally a ymmv situation depending on how one defines the question.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
@justme02

In terms of linking a regional economy to the global one? (first measure on that global-cities page on wikipedia), yes, clearly. In terms of cultural trends, art, interest to global headlines, political influence, "we do it this way" examplar? Dallas does a lot of stuff just plain wrong: big showy architecture, but an inability to fill its potholes. People pay attention to what happens in Chicago, or SF, or DC. Who pays attention to Dallas?

But, as you said, fundamentally a ymmv situation depending on how one defines the question.
Well, Dallas and Houston are much younger than the cities mentioned and both get little tourism compared to them. However, I feel that both are in their growing states and are younger vs. places like Chicago or San Francisco that are much older. With the economic growth that is happening here, eventually people will pay more attention to what happens here.

To be clear, I am not saying that I think they are world class. I think both are in the becoming stages and that Houston has a slight edge because of its superior fine arts and its more international economy. Dallas (and DFW) are world class in a lot of ways as is Houston. I dont find either are quite there yet.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Smile Capitals or ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Frankfurt, Milan, Zurich, and Munich are not capitals.

I throw some more non-national capitals that have no direct access to the sea:

Sao Paulo (its close but no direct access)
Johannesburg
To sum up my point on this, most of the cities that you and the OP have listed for the most part, make better arguments for either Austin (National or provincial capitals) or Houston in that they do actually have access to seaborne shipping..becomming "world class cities" Point made !

Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
To sum up my point on this, most of the cities that you and the OP have listed for the most part, make better arguments for either Austin (National or provincial capitals) or Houston in that they do actually have access to seaborne shipping..becomming "world class cities" Point made !
What I dont buy is that ports make a city world class or more world class. Its not even a Houston, Dallas, or Texas thing.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Thumbs up Port this

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
What I dont buy is that ports make a city world class or more world class. Its not even a Houston, Dallas, or Texas thing.
How much trade between Asia (China, India, ect..), and North America is handled by truck or train ? Trade is a very important component of a world class economy, which in turn is a vital factor in whether a city is considered world class in total... Does that help ?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
How much trade between Asia (China, India, ect..), and North America is handled by truck or train ? Trade is a very important component of a world class economy, which in turn is a vital factor in whether a city is considered world class in total... Does that help ?
No, because thats only relevant when were talking about economy which does not equal to world class. Is Detroit world class? It gets a lot of international freight. Weve already gone through a list of land locked cities that are world class.

Youre trying to make the argument that a port makes a city world class or makes it more world class. I dont buy it. It can make a cities economy more international, but it doesnt make a city world class. Also does world class=international?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas