Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ry1an3 View Post
Yeah Houston is defintely more international but Dallas is international as well. If there was a thread of the most Texas feeling city Austin and SA and even Ft. Worth would win over Dallas and especially Houston.
Sometimes people act like Houston developed in a vaccumn. Texas and the rest of the U.S. had a lot of influence on what Houston is now. If these other cities in Texas could have many of the amenities that the Houston area does they would, but they don't so they claim they don't value what they don't have. Maybe those other cities are more "Texas" because the outside world hasn't found them yet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Default World Class what ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Paris
Berlin
Mexico City
Frankfurt
Vienna
OK now lets exclude national capitals

Last edited by Jack Lance; 04-15-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Sometimes people act like Houston developed in a vaccumn. Texas and the rest of the U.S. had a lot of influence on what Houston is now. If these other cities in Texas could have many of the amenities that the Houston area does they would, but they don't so they claim they don't value what they don't have. Maybe those other cities are more "Texas" because the outside world hasn't found them yet....
Dude, youre full of it. Reading your posts, I question whether you ever left Houston or dared to try to discover Dallas or Austin or anywhere else. You clearly dont know anything about Dallas. If you did, you would know Houston and Dallas offer 95% of the same stuff. I feel comfortable saying this as I live in the Dallas area, my father lives in Sugar Land and I spend as much as one week a month in Houston working. As AK123 puts it, you guys seem interested in splitting hairs.

At any rate, you dont seem to have any objectivity whatsoever. I expect this to be lost on you.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
OK now lets exclude national capitals
Frankfurt, Milan, Zurich, and Munich are not capitals.

I throw some more non-national capitals that have no direct access to the sea:

Sao Paulo (its close but no direct access)
Johannesburg

Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dude, youre full of it. Reading your posts, I question whether you ever left Houston or dared to try to discover Dallas or Austin or anywhere else. You clearly dont know anything about Dallas. If you did, you would know Houston and Dallas offer 95% of the same stuff. I feel comfortable saying this as I live in the Dallas area, my father lives in Sugar Land and I spend as much as one week a month in Houston working. As AK123 puts it, you guys seem interested in splitting hairs.

At any rate, you dont seem to have any objectivity whatsoever. I expect this to be lost on you.
Dude, did I mention Dallas in my post ? No, I specifically used the phrase "other Texas cities" I was speaking to the knock on Houston that it is not that Texas, which is used in a derogatory way. In fact you could substitute Dallas for Houston in the post and it would still make sence. Go ahead if you want.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Dude, did I mention Dallas in my post ? No, I specifically used the phrase "other Texas cities" I was speaking to the knock on Houston that it is not that Texas, which is used in a derogatory way. In fact you could substitute Dallas for Houston in the post and it would still make sence. Go ahead if you want.
Dude, Houston is an awesome city! Who gives a you know what if some morons on CD knock it?

But guess what, Dallas is also an awesome city!

What bothers me is when people get defensive and start attacking other cities (which you and many others on this thread are guilty of) as a line of defense. The cycle in this thread looked something like this:

1) The OP made some derogatory remarks about Houston (which I might add I disagree with just about all of them)
2) At first, some Houston posters made a reasonable attempt to explain why his argument wasnt the case.
3) Attempts failed, more insults thrown.
4) Dallas gets thrown under the bus by a couple of angry/frustrated Houston posters and puts Dallas through the same garbage.
5) A Dallas poster throws the insults right back and shows off his city
6) Houston posters throw more insults and show off their city
7) Each dismiss the other cities plans as garbage and throw more insults
8) We all go to hell

This is nothing new. Ive been on CD for 4 years. Its why every thread turns into a Dallas vs. Houston thread.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:

I throw some more non-national capitals that have no direct access to the sea:

Sao Paulo (its close but no direct access)
Johannesburg
São Paulo is located in Southeastern Brazil, in southeastern São Paulo State, approximately halfway between Curitiba and Rio de Janeiro. The city is located on a plateau located within the Serra do Mar (Portuguese for "Sea Range"), itself a component of the vast region known as the Brazilian Highlands, with an average elevation of around 799 metres (2,621 ft) above sea level, although being at a distance of only about 70 kilometres (43 mi) from the Atlantic Ocean. This distance is covered by two highways, the Anchieta and the Imigrantes, (see "Transportation" below) that roll down the range, leading to the port city of Santos and the beach resort of Guarujá

São Paulo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sao Paulo is closer to the coast than Houston is, I think the suburban port city of Santos is close enough to be called direct....

And of course we can argue as to wether Johannesburg is a world class city....

Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Dude, Houston is an awesome city! Who gives a you know what if some morons on CD knock it?

But guess what, Dallas is also an awesome city!

What bothers me is when people get defensive and start attacking other cities (which you and many others on this thread are guilty of) as a line of defense. The cycle in this thread looked something like this:

1) The OP made some derogatory remarks about Houston (which I might add I disagree with just about all of them)
2) At first, some Houston posters made a reasonable attempt to explain why his argument wasnt the case.
3) Attempts failed, more insults thrown.
4) Dallas gets thrown under the bus by a couple of angry/frustrated Houston posters and puts Dallas through the same garbage.
5) A Dallas poster throws the insults right back and shows off his city
6) Houston posters throw more insults and show off their city
7) Each dismiss the other cities plans as garbage and throw more insults
8) We all go to hell

This is nothing new. Ive been on CD for 4 years. Its why every thread turns into a Dallas vs. Houston thread.
I must admit the OP pissed me off. I will try to be more subtle and mature, but i don't think objectivity in a debate forum is actually a good thing. Lets just agree to try to maintain a more civil demeanor in these adversarial threads.....

Funny recap BTW

P.S DFW is a great city, I just don't think it will get to be world class before Houston assuming Houston is not allready there!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Frankfurt does have at least barge traffic, Zurich and Munich have populations of under 2 mil (metro) you may have me on Milan but i dispute the "world Class" designation of Zurich and Munich...So what makes Milan a world class city,not saying its not, but just because a city is well known, does that make it world class?

Last edited by Jack Lance; 04-15-2013 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
The former may be, but how well do you actually know Dallas and the area? To be frank, you dont seem to.

Dallas has one of the largest immigrant populations in the US. This isn't a white bread Texas/American city by itself. Houston is more international, that doesn't make Dallas the opposite.
Of course this is much newer to Dallas, which has historically been more black and white than Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas