Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Alright, its not even my job to defend Houston, but I feel obligated to on their behalf. The description above applies to Dallas and Austin just as much as it does to Houston.

This is pretty absurd. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and Austin (whether they want to think so or not) are all sprawl for the most part. All of the above have walkable places in their cores and maybe a couple outside of there and the rest is suburban and strip malls (even if those neighborhoods have a Dallas or Houston address attached to them). That isnt a bad thing to me. I like suburban living and I could give a (insert expletive) if that makes them not world class. Ill take the diversity and excellent ethnic food options that a place like Plano or Sugar Land offer over living in downtown Austin any day of the week even if they arent as cool and cant be walked.

Again, to answer the question, what in my mind may give Houston a edge over Dallas in world classness has everything to do with the cities excellent fine arts scene which Dallas simply cant match. The other things (dining, walkable neighborhoods, shopping, nightlife, etc.) are pretty well even with maybe Houston or Dallas having a slight edge in some of the mentioned categories.

Are Houston and Dallas world class? Doesnt matter who thinks so to me. I love em both!
Dallas and Austin are both perpetrators of horrific sprawl as well (though not with quite the same degree as enthusiasm that Houston has)- I never said otherwise. The difference being Dallas has a much more ambitious plan to revitalize and expand an increasingly good center city that it is executing on. Austin has exact same pattern of growth, and if it continued on present course when the population triples it will be Houston with hills. My characterization of Houston as butt ugly doesn't excuse other sprawl.

Austin may end up being different and much better because it is hitting a stride of explosive growth in a different era from that of Houston when sprawl was the only way to grow. City planning has evolved greatly in the last 2-3 decades and its now commonly understood that Houston-style cancerous growth that spreads for mile after mile after mile in every direction is not only unsustainable, but makes or a miserable urban environment. It's my great hope that Austin look very closely at Houston, the good parts and the bad, and emulate and make more of the good, and do everything possible to conscribes the bad. Will it happen? I think so, the tide of history is against more Houstons - the parts of Houston not worth caring about. Inside the inner loop is fairly awesome. Much love for that! And that's what Austin needs to do more of to avoid being Houston on the hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Your bias is showing again. where did you get this density and train fetish? College from professors of like mind? Why would any one listen to your view of Houston when you admit you don't care about most of it and more importantly you insult the vast major living in it. FYI no city is worth caring about its people are....cities are concert and steel and wood without souls... we need urban planners who care about people not the city, which is in fact soulless as all cities are
What train fetish?

My interest and appreciation of cities has come from living and traveling the world and walking wonderful cities that create a true sense of place and vibrancy and excitement to just be in.

No city is worth caring about? That's as bizarre and foreign concept as I've ever heard and could not possibly begin to comprehend the thought process behind tha.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Funny, cause a recent study shows that Austin is growing with the highest percentage of sprawl among the texas major cities, while Houston had the least.

Houston is building on average way more multifamily residences than Austin. In fact it had been number one. Meaning higher than NY and Chicago.

You really don't know what you are talking about.
Your posts are ridiculously ill informed.
Save yourself the embarassment and stick to what you know about

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-dominant.html

Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Cool Plan this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Dallas and Austin are both perpetrators of horrific sprawl as well (though not with quite the same degree as enthusiasm that Houston has)- I never said otherwise. The difference being Dallas has a much more ambitious plan to revitalize and expand an increasingly good center city that it is executing on. Austin has exact same pattern of growth, and if it continued on present course when the population triples it will be Houston with hills. My characterization of Houston as butt ugly doesn't excuse other sprawl.

Austin may end up being different and much better because it is hitting a stride of explosive growth in a different era from that of Houston when sprawl was the only way to grow. City planning has evolved greatly in the last 2-3 decades and its now commonly understood that Houston-style cancerous growth that spreads for mile after mile after mile in every direction is not only unsustainable, but makes or a miserable urban environment. It's my great hope that Austin look very closely at Houston, the good parts and the bad, and emulate and make more of the good, and do everything possible to conscribes the bad. Will it happen? I think so, the tide of history is against more Houstons - the parts of Houston not worth caring about. Inside the inner loop is fairly awesome. Much love for that! And that's what Austin needs to do more of to avoid being Houston on the hills.
Which metro do you think has the highest population density now? Would you say Houston? Houston is addressing the problem but how much power does any one city have to control this sprawl you talk about? Zoning would probably just push more development out into the vast suburban sprawl. There are two articles in todays Chronicle about this very subject. One addresses inner city development and talks about allowing developers to build on smaller lots between loop-610 and beltway 8 and how to encourage single family homes over large apartment complexes which usually blight after a very short time. And the other talks about how the vast majority of new homes in this area are bought outside Beltway-8 mostly because those home sell for less than half the price per square foot. Major oil companies are relocating to the far flung suburbs, why? I bet its not because of a lack of an "urban" environment

Do you think the diameter (if you will) of the urban-suburban foot-print is really less in DFW than Houston. Just how far is it from the far west to the far east of each metro? North and south. I understand you have condemned urban sprawl in all its forms, but you save your most cutting and detailed critiques for Houston. I'm sure you do "like" Houston in about the same way you like your neighbors kids, but your bias toward Houston is coloring and obviously overshadowing your enthusiasm for more effective urban planning. Do you have a plan or just criticisms?

[SIZE=-3][/SIZE]

Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Funny, cause a recent study shows that Austin is growing with the highest percentage of sprawl among the texas major cities, while Houston had the least.

Houston is building on average way more multifamily residences than Austin. In fact it had been number one. Meaning higher than NY and Chicago.

I think this shut him up.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Slow down and read what I wrote again. Austin has Houston's horrific pattern of sprawl and if it continues in 50 or 100 years it will be every bit as bad. It is my hope that the current pattern of sprawl can be lessened and even reversed with more enlightened leadership and understanding of what makes cities great.

Unfortunately for Houston it's too late - it will never be able to undo the damage of three decades of unabated sprawl at a dizzying pace. I fear the same may be true for Austin but think there is some glimmer of hope to think otherwise.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Which metro do you think has the highest population density now? Would you say Houston? Houston is addressing the problem but how much power does any one city have to control this sprawl you talk about? Zoning would probably just push more development out into the vast suburban sprawl. There are two articles in todays Chronicle about this very subject. One addresses inner city development and talks about allowing developers to build on smaller lots between loop-610 and beltway 8 and how to encourage single family homes over large apartment complexes which usually blight after a very short time. And the other talks about how the vast majority of new homes in this area are bought outside Beltway-8 mostly because those home sell for less than half the price per square foot. Major oil companies are relocating to the far flung suburbs, why? I bet its not because of a lack of an "urban" environment

Do you think the diameter (if you will) of the urban-suburban foot-print is really less in DFW than Houston. Just how far is it from the far west to the far east of each metro? North and south. I understand you have condemned urban sprawl in all its forms, but you save your most cutting and detailed critiques for Houston. I'm sure you do "like" Houston in about the same way you like your neighbors kids, but your bias toward Houston is coloring and obviously overshadowing your enthusiasm for more effective urban planning. Do you have a plan or just criticisms?

[SIZE=-3][/SIZE]

I honestly don't know how you correct a half century of horrible city building. But when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Look at the best parts of Houston and do that for 100 years and you'll have a magnificent city.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 AM

In anycase, this thread is about achieving world class status and has been derailed by posters who are offended by obvious truths. BTW - the first step to correcting a problem is admitting you have one.

Houston and Dallas both have magnificent aspects to them and tremendous challenges. Dallas has a vision for itself that is truly aspirational of a world class city. I think it will take 100 years to get there, but they have the best shot. Houston seems to me mired in the sense that the way they have grown is the only way to grow. That's a shame because it could be a great city and even world class. But it would have to make some radical changes.

Austin has a congenial atmosphere, tremendous PR and a lot going for it, but much of the populace thinks its still a small city and should stay that way. In the meantime it is growing, as other posters have pointed out and I completely agree with, in a manner that will make it much like Houston in 50 or 100 years, and that would be a tadgedy and a terrible lost opportunity.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
You've got chutzpah, Kermit. Even when proven wrong, you stick in there and stand on your beliefs.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Cool World class plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
In anycase, this thread is about achieving world class status and has been derailed by posters who are offended by obvious truths. BTW - the first step to correcting a problem is admitting you have one.

Houston and Dallas both have magnificent aspects to them and tremendous challenges. Dallas has a vision for itself that is truly aspirational of a world class city. I think it will take 100 years to get there, but they have the best shot. Houston seems to me mired in the sense that the way they have grown is the only way to grow. That's a shame because it could be a great city and even world class. But it would have to make some radical changes.

Austin has a congenial atmosphere, tremendous PR and a lot going for it, but much of the populace thinks its still a small city and should stay that way. In the meantime it is growing, as other posters have pointed out and I completely agree with, in a manner that will make it much like Houston in 50 or 100 years, and that would be a tadgedy and a terrible lost opportunity.
Please tell us how this vision that Dallas has is manifesting itself. What is this plan and who are the planners that you are so enamored with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas