Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countdown city View Post
They took care of those problems it's called minimmum secerity prison also prisons do educate their prisoners I know cause my father was in prison for 20 years and has a college education cause of it. But the new education can have a opposite effect and inturn can make criminals more dangerous then they were before cause now they got brains to find ways how to do something stupid and get away with it.

What major allows a person the ability to do something stupid and get away with it besides finance, accounting or math?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 01:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
What major allows a person the ability to do something stupid and get away with it besides finance, accounting or math?
History~it teaches us about things that happened in the past and how you can do the same thing in the present, but learn from the mistakes of the past and not get caught.

Psychology~seriously, it's a proven fact that many anti-socials and NPDs love the study of psychology. They don't see themselves in it, but they are better equipped to understand true human emotions. It helps them to be able to use others more effectively.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 39,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Well these inmates could use a new skills they obtained in prison such as recruiting ,codes and other complex society tactics used in prisons used to avoid attention from guards. Also when your in school you learn that studying gets you to places you couldn't achieve if you didn't so now they can study a specific crime they want to commit and plan it out which is done on the streets.these basic rules can be a good starter.

Also now that they have a education they can now go to places they couldn't go before and get connections to people they couldn't before so this makes them even more dangerous.

A wise man once said "the more dangerous man is not a ignorant person who will just use violence and get locked up but a real smart person who will do something about it were he will benefit from with out seen the consequence."

And their new education allows them to understand these tactics.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 PM

29 posts, read 139,132 times
Texas has the nation's largest private prison industry. Thousands of prisoners are imported from other states. Most of the prisons are sited in South Texas.

The companies that run these prisons are ecstatic about this "booming business", but I think that few people consider the long-term consequences for the state. It's widely assumed that the prisoners will return home once they are discharged, but often as not they stay in Texas. Our politicians who enthusiastically promote this "growth industry" are also promoting rapid growth in crime.

Here's one article, but you can easily find many more with a Google search:

http://www.businessweek.com/investor...706_849785.htm

The above article, from Business Week, gushes about the "growth opportunities" in the private prison business. I can't help but think that these "investors" are criminals themselves.

regards,
Robert

Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
As noted earlier, Austin is one of the safer cities. El Paso I believe is safe too. It's just the city across the river from El Paso that is one of the most dangerous but that's in Mexico.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:44 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,756 times
If one murder is to many than why do we look at data that compares 1 per 100,000??? While yes this levels city comparing. But as a previous poster pointed while Dallas had a LARGER murder RATE, Los Angeles had MORE murders. So i would also look at that. Plus you need to look at murder and city's geographical size because say city A had 100 murders an its land area was 100 square miles. And city B had 100 murders and its size was 200 square miles id say city B is safer right? But none of this matter because it all depends on the neighborhood moved into and the persons activity's.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 AM

13 posts, read 44,411 times
I think you have to be very careful when you use these types of numbers to make decisions about places you want to live. They can serve as very rough guidelines, but they don't necessarily provide you with the full picture. Different cities place a different amount of emphasis on gathering these statistics and in some places they are deliberately obscured. Demographics also play a part here and any place that tends to have more young people will tend to have more crime overall.

People are also generally more likely to report crime in places where there is less of it. Many people in extremely crime-ridden places have an almost fatalistic attitude toward crime and tend not to report instances of some very serious crimes (I.e. the "no snitching" fad that's going around). Unfortunately, this aversion to reporting tends to happen more often in very segregated minority communities and as we know, there tends to be much more of this type of segregation in northern cities than in other parts of the country.

It is also true, that in just about every city there are good areas and bad areas. Moving to certain parts of the South Bronx or Manhattan is just about guaranteed to expose you to much more criminal danger than living in a low crime location such as Highland Park or North Dallas (central) which are just minutes from downtown Dallas.

What I would tend to look for is how likely it would be for a person in my situation to be randomly victimized by crime. Based on where I can afford to live, where I would work and the places where my family would most likely congregate, what would my risk be? Is there random violence throughout the city? Do criminal gangs control large swaths of the city? Are the crime-ridden areas easily avoided? Do home invasion robberies occur frequently throughout the city and it's surrounding areas?

Answering these questions does require more than just a cursory look at the overall statistics, but it might help you to avoid ending up in a gang infested neighborhood in the Valley because you saw some report indicating that LA was statistically safer than Dallas.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:55 AM

371 posts, read 941,070 times
ok so someone said suburb of dallas is decent for lower crime neighborhoods, where else got lower crime rates? what cities and exaclty in which part? I think I really like texas

Old 02-01-2008, 05:04 AM

371 posts, read 941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I was considering Houston for its affordable houses, plethoa of jobs and big city attractions but the crime, traffic, illegals, etc turned me off
yeah me too I was looking at Dallas, I will find some other cities I guess

Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 AM

152 posts, read 673,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
The only way I can explain the rest of the state is with the following theory. The ease of the locals in Texas being able to obtain a CHL, and the traditional outlaw attitude combined with it. That's just the best theory I can come up with right now.

Can you explain to me how the "ease" of locals in being able to obtain a CHL contributes to high crime rates? People with CHL's have been through a fairly intense background check by the state, so they where not criminals before they got the CHL. If you care to take the time to look up the numbers you will see very few crimes committed by CHL holders.

Just because somebody gets a CHL doesn't mean all of a sudden they are going to start acting like Wild Bill, drinking whiskey(if you are carrying you can't even have one drink of alcohol) and shooting up saloons. Associating an outlaw attitude with a CHL holder is ridiculous. So not a very good theory in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas