Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,242,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
How, exactly, do they do that?
Better funding to improve the quality of public education. Not only better funding, but ensure the funds are used effectively. Campains against crime (bring in police officers and possibly former criminals who have learned from their mistakes) and gangs at the elementary education level would help too. Providing real employment opportunities for released violent felons (while still tracking them) so they are not forced to turn to crime to eek out a living (and can easily be apprehended if they do return to crime).

On a separate note, I do think that the State of TX needs to significantly expand the capacity of its Tier I state funded universities, given its continual rapid population growth. For a very conservative state, TX has one of the most liberal (if not the most liberal) in-state college admissions policy in the entire nation. This really hurts hard-working middle-class families who have struggled to provide better for their families but aren't even close to being affluent enough to support the 3x jump in tuition for an out of state or private equivalent university.

Why do I bring this up? If the state better equipped public PreK-12 education across the income strata, in addition to lowering crime, all Texans would be better equipped to compete for the in-state college spots using traditional holistic admissions criteria vs. the 7-10% nonsense which hurts non-wealthy middle class families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander View Post
i am from Spain, i plan to buy a property in one of the main cities of Texas but i have seen that the big cities of this state has much higher crime rates than the U.S. average, somebody could explain why ?? , thanks a lot for the information, greetings from Andalucia, south Spain.
This might give you some insight as to why the crime is higher in Houston.....

[url=http://headwaterseconomics.org/energy/western-counties-fossil-fuel-development]Long-Term Energy Development Has Negative Impacts on Western Counties | Headwaters Economics[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas