Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 10:19 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

If you don't understand the difference between the seasonal flu and Covid by now, then you are most likely intentionally avoiding actually looking into the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 10:20 AM

577 posts, read 457,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
If you don't understand the difference between the seasonal flu and Covid by now, then you are most likely intentionally avoiding actually looking into the differences.
I understand the difference, but my question still stands: How does everyone here think we should handle the flu?

Old 03-25-2020, 10:20 AM

The flu is handled via herd immunity, vaccinations, and a predictable number of cases/hospitalizations every year. None of which applies to Covid on it first pass through.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
The flu is handled via herd immunity, vaccinations, and a predictable number of cases/hospitalizations every year. None of which applies to Covid on it first pass through.
Is it possible to reduce the amount of deaths by going on lockdown?

Old 03-25-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I understand the difference, but my question still stands: How does everyone here think we should handle the flu?
If you are still asking the question, then no, you do not understand the difference. The flu should be handled how it has always been handled. We are not trying to prevent death from Covid, we are trying to prevent death from lack of care while someone has Covid. And to delay as long as possible to get a vaccine.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to reduce the amount of deaths by going on lockdown?
Yes. Enormously. The most comprehensive review in the UK (which led to their change in approach) was that 'lockdown' would save somewhere between 250,000 and 500,000 people in the UK.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Yes. Enormously. The most comprehensive review in the UK (which led to their change in approach) was that 'lockdown' would save somewhere between 250,000 and 500,000 people in the UK.
I meant for the flu.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
If you are still asking the question, then no, you do not understand the difference. The flu should be handled how it has always been handled. We are not trying to prevent death from Covid, we are trying to prevent death from lack of care while someone has Covid. And to delay as long as possible to get a vaccine.
I actually say this same thing in my first post:
"On a slightly related note, I wonder how many lives are being saved by 'flattening the curve'. My understanding of 'flattening the curve' is that we are mainly trying to spread out the deaths, not necessarily prevent them. Although by spreading them out, we don't overwhelm the healthcare system and we can save more lives in the process, but I just wonder what the number of deaths look like whether we flatten the curve or not."

Old 03-25-2020, 10:37 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
That doesn't answer my question, though. How does everyone here think we should handle the flu?
We dont need to go into lockdown over the flu because we have vaccines for the flu (you might have gone in for a flu shot). THERE IS NO VACCINE FOR THE CORONAVIRUS. Yes, that was in all caps just to emphasize the point to everyone who keeps minimizing this as just the flu. It's not.

This is why Italy's healthcare system is now on the verge of collapse. This is also why NY is right behind Italy. For the flu, we have enough treatments to where 99% of the population can take tamiflu, stay hydrated and rested and recover within a couple of days. No need for hospitalization.

A virus for which there is no cure whatsoever means that for a lot of people, the virus will inflict far more damage, forcing the use of ventilators of which we dont have enough. In Italy they are now having to play God and decide who gets to live and who doesnt because there is not enough ventilators for everyone.

And last point, everyone keeps talking about the 80,000 who die every year from the flu. With this virus, and no vaccine to stop it, you now are risking millions of health compromised people who may have other conditions making it harder for them to fight the virus.

This is why we need the shut down. Unless you agree with Patrick and are willing to let potentially millions of people die to save the economy?

Old 03-25-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
We dont need to go into lockdown over the flu because we have vaccines for the flu (you might have gone in for a flu shot). THERE IS NO VACCINE FOR THE CORONAVIRUS. Yes, that was in all caps just to emphasize the point to everyone who keeps minimizing this as just the flu. It's not.

This is why Italy's healthcare system is now on the verge of collapse. This is also why NY is right behind Italy. For the flu, we have enough treatments to where 99% of the population can take tamiflu, stay hydrated and rested and recover within a couple of days. No need for hospitalization.

A virus for which there is no cure whatsoever means that for a lot of people, the virus will inflict far more damage, forcing the use of ventilators of which we dont have enough. In Italy they are now having to play God and decide who gets to live and who doesnt because there is not enough ventilators for everyone.

And last point, everyone keeps talking about the 80,000 who die every year from the flu. With this virus, and no vaccine to stop it, you now are risking millions of health compromised people who may have other conditions making it harder for them to fight the virus.

This is why we need the shut down. Unless you agree with Patrick and are willing to let potentially millions of people die to save the economy?
I understand that COVID19 is way more severe than the flu.

However, people do still die from the flu. Can't we go on lockdown to reduce those deaths? It's a seasonal virus, no? Meaning we could shut down until the weather warms up and the virus disappears?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas