U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-25-2020, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,897 posts, read 2,352,929 times
Reputation: 2346

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
THis thread is about COVID-19, not the flu. Stop changing the subject and start another thread about a flu lockdown if you wish to discuss that.
The point he's making is that despite significant known levels of fatalities from flu, the government doesn't undertake mandatory policies to discourage transmission among the general population.

At some point, whether or not there is a vaccine and/or effective treatment for Covid-19, the question of economy vs. illness transmission becomes a legitimate question. I would posit that it becomes legitimate once we're confident that medical facilities and personnel are stabilized, even if the number of fatalities or incapacitation from illness is still quite high.

EDIT: Sorry, I ascribed masculine gender to the other poster, when I don't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2020, 04:52 PM
 
553 posts, read 129,683 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
It's also about "sacrificing lives for the Economy". Something all of us are in support of (to an extent).
Don't include me in your "us".

We need to get this virus under control before we work on rebuilding our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 05:25 PM
 
509 posts, read 248,523 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Don't include me in your "us".

We need to get this virus under control before we work on rebuilding our economy.
Do you support shutting down the economy during flu season? If not, then you are indeed sacrificing lives for the Economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 PM
 
Location: southern california
58,764 posts, read 77,664,847 times
Reputation: 52406
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
What is your stance on how we should handle the flu? Do we go into lockdown for that too?
Exactly what is happening balance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 PM
Status: "Blasphemer of all Religion" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,609 posts, read 1,000,263 times
Reputation: 3537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Do you support shutting down the economy during flu season? If not, then you are indeed sacrificing lives for the Economy.
Here’s what you’re not getting: this isn’t a black and white issue. It’s not either or, it’s a complex risk assessment. Otherwise you would have to follow your argument to it’s conclusion:

You’d have to be against driving because people die in car crashes
You'd have to be against flying because planes crash.
You’d have to be against sending your kids to school because they could get shot, molested, sick from other kids, or die on the way there.
You’d have to be against them playing in pools because children often drown.

Here’s the bottom line: we don’t stress about those things because we know how to prevent and/or treat them. The same is true for influenza. We don’t have a clue of how to do either with Coronavirus. One day when we have treatment and a vaccine for Covid 19, we won’t have to stop the economy for it.

Not everything is black and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 06:58 PM
 
509 posts, read 248,523 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Here’s what you’re not getting: this isn’t a black and white issue. It’s not either or, it’s a complex risk assessment. Otherwise you would have to follow your argument to it’s conclusion:

You’d have to be against driving because people die in car crashes
You'd have to be against flying because planes crash.
You’d have to be against sending your kids to school because they could get shot, molested, sick from other kids, or die on the way there.
You’d have to be against them playing in pools because children often drown.
I'm not against anything of those things, and nothing I said would indicate that I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Here’s the bottom line: we don’t stress about those things because we know how to prevent and/or treat them. The same is true for influenza. We don’t have a clue of how to do either with Coronavirus. One day when we have treatment and a vaccine for Covid 19, we won’t have to stop the economy for it.

Not everything is black and white.
Agreed. All I am saying is that Patrick Brown is willing to sacrifice lives for the economy. All of us are also willing to sacrifice lives for the economy (to some extent), which is why nobody here is advocating to shut down the economy during flu season. With all of that in mind, it is a bit hypocritical to essentially say 'Dan Patrick is heartless' (I'm paraphrasing some of the comments here) for saying what he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Denver via Austin
3,633 posts, read 6,946,291 times
Reputation: 4652
https://covidactnow.org/

Click on Texas. With no action taken, it’s projected that 600,000 Texans will be needed to hospitalized all at the same time from COVID-19 alone, with around 41,000 hospital beds available.

Look at the parts of Italy where COVID-19 hit before they locked down. Most of the cases that require hospitalization are fatal without hospitalization. It is not unreasonable to say that without lockdown measures, 500,000 Texans could be killed by this within the next three months. In addition to the 500K deaths from COVID-19, the healthcare system collapse results in tons of preventable deaths from otherwise treatable conditions as well.

That is not how the flu works. If you can’t tell the difference between 500K preventable deaths in three months vs. 5-10K deaths over a season, then by all means, feel free to spot me a couple hundred bucks. You might get a couple back, same diff apparently. Go order a few thousand burgers at once at a fast food chain and see what happens. That’s how flawed the “it’s just a flu” logic is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 07:27 PM
 
509 posts, read 248,523 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
https://covidactnow.org/

Click on Texas. With no action taken, it’s projected that 600,000 Texans will be needed to hospitalized all at the same time from COVID-19 alone, with around 41,000 hospital beds available.

Look at the parts of Italy where COVID-19 hit before they locked down. Most of the cases that require hospitalization are fatal without hospitalization. It is not unreasonable to say that without lockdown measures, 500,000 Texans could be killed by this within the next three months. In addition to the 500K deaths from COVID-19, the healthcare system collapse results in tons of preventable deaths from otherwise treatable conditions as well.

That is not how the flu works. If you can’t tell the difference between 500K preventable deaths in three months vs. 5-10K deaths over a season, then by all means, feel free to spot me a couple hundred bucks. You might get a couple back, same diff apparently. Go order a few thousand burgers at once at a fast food chain and see what happens.
I can tell the difference. I'm just pointing out that everyone here (including myself), is okay sacrificing 5K-10K deaths every year for the good of the Economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Denver via Austin
3,633 posts, read 6,946,291 times
Reputation: 4652
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I can tell the difference. I'm just pointing out that everyone here (including myself), is okay sacrificing 5K-10K deaths every year for the good of the Economy.
So edgy brah. We still shut down schools and restaurants when local flu outbreaks get bad, and Dan Patrick is still a glorified radio DJ piece of ****, as are his enablers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 07:46 PM
 
509 posts, read 248,523 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
We still shut down schools and restaurants when local flu outbreaks get bad,
I wasn't aware of that. Still, I think we can all agree that shutting more things down and shutting them down sooner would reduce the number of deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
and Dan Patrick is still a glorified radio DJ piece of ****, as are his enablers.
I don't know enough about him to have an opinion about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top