Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 10:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
It came from the Czechs, Polish and the Germans.
Did it come to Tejanos first or Mexicans in Mexico? I heard that Mexican Banda music has German origins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 07:54 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Did it come to Tejanos first or Mexicans in Mexico? I heard that Mexican Banda music has German origins.
Norteno is the one that has German origins.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:14 PM

109 posts, read 71,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Norteno is the one that has German origins.
Yes banda doesn't include the accordion.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
I think it was possibly in Mexico first in the form of Norteno.....i think Tejano may of came later than Norteno.I am not for sure.

Last edited by C24L; 04-09-2021 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-19-2021, 04:34 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times
Quote:
Tejano music (Spanish: música tejana), also known as Tex-Mex music, is a popular music style fusing Mexican and U.S. influences.[1] With elements from Mexican-Spanish vocal traditions and Czech and German dance tunes and rhythms, particularly polka or waltz,[2][3] the music is traditionally played by small groups featuring accordion and guitar. Its evolution began in northern Mexico (a variation known as norteño).[4]
From wiki

Old 04-20-2021, 06:41 PM

87 posts, read 64,904 times
South Texas is a cesspool of Marijuana, racism, family abuse, and victim-blaming. It is TOTALLY Southern!

Old 05-05-2021, 12:02 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
https://youtu.be/g9lkeoxJRxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIaYO3BkJzw

Artists from Corpus Christi and San Antonio, respectively. Both have noticeable Southern accents and performed in Southern music genres.

Granted, these are both very old songs. But my point is that at least traditionally, there is a pretty good argument to be made for San Antonio, Corpus Christi, etc. as being part of the South. On the General US forum, people seem really opposed to the idea of South Texas being the South, because there are too many Hispanics there. It's silly though, because someone like Freddy Fender was Hispanic but very Southern culturally in my opinion, even if he was also a Tejano.
To me San Antone Corpus and the Valley are a lot different than the stereotypical South like LA and MS.I think the only part of the state that really matches the traditional Southern image would be East Texas but hey dats just me.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:10 PM

218 posts, read 220,975 times
Quote:
yes with all those mesquite and palm trees. Are you seriously trying to say the RGV is culturally southern? To be honest, the Balkan Peninsula looks more like the South than deep South Texas. By your logic it must be Southern too.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:26 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times
RGV is culturally midwestern more than southern. Most of the Anglo people that moved there were from the midwest, not the south like the rest of Texas.

Even to this day, from what I can tell people often say "you guys" instead of "y'all".

Old 07-11-2021, 01:02 PM

223 posts, read 141,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
The only part of Texas that is culturally part of the Deep South is East Texas. The rest of the state think of ourselves as just Texans. As for "southern" accents, there are seven distinct English-language accents recognized in Texas, and only one is considered "southern." The rest are kind of Midwest or are Western.

Now I'd like to know, why is this so important to you? What value accrues to labeling Texans as anything other than Texans and US citizens? I'm asking as a native Texan who had great-grandfathers fighting on both sides of that unpleasantness known as the Civil War, and whose accent is not "Southern."
This right here.

East Texas is the only part of Texas that is really Southern.

20 years ago I spent a summer working in Georgia and the Deep South was a total culture shock to me...as someone that had grown up in Texas.

Southern accents, nascar, and confederate flags are not things you see that often in Texas unless you are in East Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas