Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 07:24 AM

268 posts, read 180,563 times

Advertisements

Most people I meet in Houston were not raised here. Most were also not born in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 07:34 AM

223 posts, read 141,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Allen View Post
Most people I meet in Houston were not raised here. Most were also not born in Texas.
True.

Same with Austin.

Houston, Austin and Dallas are now all full of transplants.

San Antonio is full of retired military transplants.

This dilutes the Texan accents that were once prevalent in many parts of Texas.....but in my lifetime I've never heard a bunch of people in Texas with southern acccents unless they were from East Texas.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
True.

Same with Austin.

This dilutes the Texan accents that were once prevalent in many parts of Texas.....but in my lifetime I've never heard a bunch of people in Texas with southern accents unless they were from East Texas.

I am a native Texan but not a native Houstonian. Mom and Dad were also born in Texas.....Dallas area.

However, when I travel to my brother's place in CA, I have people in his small town 2hrs north of L A ask me where I am from, quite often. Not once do they ask, "are you from Texas?" ... but "Where are you from?"

So I am guessing I do not have that strong of a Texas accent....who knows? LOL

Old 07-13-2021, 08:03 AM

511 posts, read 400,953 times
Quote:
True.

Same with Austin.

This dilutes the Texan accents that were once prevalent in many parts of Texas.....but in my lifetime I've never heard a bunch of people in Texas with southern acccents unless they were from East Texas.
Yeah, I watched Dallas TV news from the 60s-70s on Youtube (the name of the Youtube channel is SMU Jones Film) and it's crazy how a lot of people back then had noticeable Texas accents.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Yeah, I watched Dallas TV news from the 60s-70s on Youtube (the name of the Youtube channel is SMU Jones Film) and it's crazy how a lot of people back then had noticeable Texas accents.

Funny, but I was raised in Dallas and we always laughed at how wrong they got Dallas and the whole accent and culture thingy. The REAL oil biz tycoons were in Houston...not Dallas and nobody talked like that anywhere.

It always amazes me how wrong Hollywood gets Texas...even today. You would think with Hollywood heavy-hitters like Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Steve Martin and Matthew McConaughey, they would get Texas right, but I still see terrible stereotypes and accents that sound more like Arkansas than Texas on film and tv.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:47 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
True.

Same with Austin.

not all southern accents are created equal though. Hell, Texas has different accents depending on what region. I think Texas has a standard "Texan" accent that people associate the state with but even that varies. I say you find the thickest southern accents in the most rural towns all throughout the state or in in small to mid size cities with a low influx of transplants.

Yes, East Texas has the thickest southern accents and ties to the south. I'm from Northeast Texas so I'm well aware of that connection. And it even gets more distinct the closer you get to the Louisiana/Arkansas border. Marshall/Jefferson/ Atlanta(TX)/Linden/ Waskom/Pittsburg/Uncertain/Karnack are probably more southern than even other cities and towns in East Texas.

Now in Houston where I've lived for over 10 years, it's more common not to hear a southern accent but because of my line of work and the clientele I have(electrical, construction, o&g) I do tend to hear it every now and then. Mostly with older people or Millennials that come from exurbs. I also tend to notice the southern accent is more consistent in the burbs east of Houston. I believe it's the part of the metro that has the less amount of transplants and it shows. First time and only time I drove to Cloverleaf I was taken back how stuck in time it felt compared to the rest of Houston.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:26 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
I am a native Houstonian. My parents were transplants in the mid-1960s (from OK, and the Midwest prior to that, though Mom's heritage is a Midwestern/Southern/Southwestern combo). I very much recall Texan-inflected speech being very dominant through my youth. It seemed to change in the 1990s-2000s. People in other parts of the country think I have a Texas accent though I really don't.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:39 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
I remember in 1980 when I went to Houston for school noting that the speech there was different than Dallas where I grew up, and with a little practice you got to where you could tell people from Clear Lake, League City, Dickinson from those from Rosenberg, or those from Conroe or Huntsville.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:18 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
San Antonio Southern?
is that a joke?

Every time I go to San Antonio I feel like I'm in Mexico.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:19 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Allen View Post
Texas is "Southern" only east of I-45.
100% Accurate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas