Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 03:08 PM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
But those of faith can never truly look at things through the lens of reason. Faith by definition is the suspension of reason and disbelief. I actually am a very spiritual person but my spirit resides in a different realm than yours (I say that not to imply superiority, but just a statement of fact). Not in the supernatural, but in the natural. Not in a God but in nature. As such I will always view things in science and mathematics and eschew the supernatural and all religious doctrine.
You're exactly correct about this, this is where the real root cause of the conflict between the spiritual and physical realm stems. Neither are superior people either, however; Christians are called to look at the lens of life through 'his' eyes and not our own, his will comes first.. meaning, we are called to shut our minds when it comes to fulfilling his will (which as you say, requires a great deal of faith) ..we (Christians) all fall short here, it's not an easy task... and many do not even try to in assuming professing Christ alone is enough (it isn't. what is required is a relationship and growth in Christ.)...but scripture says his ways are higher and some things we will not understand immediately as to why he chooses the way he chooses but we are to understand that he (the maker of all things, the father / creator of all things seen and unseen, the one with all authority, and the knower of all things) has just judgement on his decisions.

We as humans make reason's based on what we can see and touch, but often times are ommited from the entire scope, the entire story, and especially, the back ends of the spiritual realm. It gets much deeper, but the root of the issue is faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 03:21 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
1920 called, they desperately want you back.
"1984" called, they desperately want you back.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:52 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Are you killing baby chickens each time you eat an egg too?
No, not if it hasn't been fertilized. Chickens in factory farms, and in free range operations, or backyards that don't have roosters only produce unfertilized eggs.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'm still trying to understand your obsession with the idea that anyone needs to defend or not defend Sanger. Who cares what she did or didn't think decades ago? It's irrelevant. The debate is about whether abortion should be legal, not about someone's personal failings or views.

It's like someone being against pudding pops because Bill Cosby loved em or being against railroads because Jay Gould was crooked. Makes no sense. At the end of the day, is it OK that our state essentially forces women to attempt to carry a child to term regardless of the circumstances of the pregnancy as well as its potential implications (mental health, physical health, economics, societal effects etc.) or not?

I could not care less what some long dead woman's opinion on literally anything is in relationship to this topic. I do care what living people with actual power to make changes in this policy care about though, so I don't understand why we're sitting here talking about Margaret Sanger.
My point was to show that white nationalists/racists/ whatever you want to call them do have a history of being pro choice. Some people seem to think otherwsie.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:24 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
My point was to show that white nationalists/racists/ whatever you want to call them do have a history of being pro choice. Some people seem to think otherwsie.
Its a point, but not a very accurate one. Its from the same school of thought that the pro-life movement is not rooted in religion. Im sure some white nationalists are pro-choice just as there are atheist pro-lifers, but that is far from the norm.

They may not want more black babies born but you can bet your immortal soul that they are pro-life as hell when it comes to white babies.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Thats true, but removing a clump of cells in the days after fertilization isnt killing anything. That isnt a human being.
There is clearly a debate over this issue with doctors falling on both sides. You can stick your finger in your ear if you want but that doesn't mean anybody has to listen to you. You can say that after 10-12 weeks it has a heart beat and this is a fact. You can also say it is still not a human being at 8 months. This is beside the fact that many babies are born prematurely, even younger than 8 months in the womb.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Its a point, but not a very accurate one. Its from the same school of thought that the pro-life movement is not rooted in religion. Im sure some white nationalists are pro-choice just as there are atheist pro-lifers, but that is far from the norm.

They may not want more black babies born but you can bet your immortal soul that they are pro-life as hell when it comes to white babies.
Unfortunately there is not any kind of study or survey so all we can do is guess.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:30 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Unfortunately there is not any kind of study or survey so all we can do is guess.
Surveys of white nationalists' opinions on abortions, probably not.

Surveys about the religiousity off the pro-life movement, we dont have to guess:

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion...bout-abortion/

https://news.gallup.com/poll/162548/...ion-views.aspx

Per the 2nd article, the survey contends 85% of pro-lifers are religious.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
In one 2020 survey, about 65% of Americans report that religion plays an important or very important role in their lives, 34% report attending religious services at least monthly, 61% report praying weekly or more and 90% believe in God [1] proportions which are unique among developed countries.
Not too dissimilar to the overall percentage of religious people in America.

Another study on wikipedia shows slightly under 77% of people are religious of some kind (obviously, in America).

Old 07-07-2022, 04:58 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
If the Supreme Court goes the way Clarence Thomas wants and Ken Paxton follows through on his wish to reinstate anti sodomy laws I suspect more Blue Staters will bail. A big part of corporate America too.

I didn't leave Texas for political reasons but it definitely is nice not having a state government that's all run by people you despise. I didn't mind the ones that were in charge while Perry was governor or even W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas