Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 07:11 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I hope it works out well.
I didn't know much about Ken Paxton, heard only from this forum.
Seems like he is doing fantastic job!
You’re a big fan of big government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 08:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Pilsn3r, youre handling this wrong. Dont make excuses and throw the ball back into their court.

Trump taught the left something they should have heeded: the ends justify the means. Who cares if she was a giant POS as a person? She made giant headways for birth control and she founded Planned Parenthood. She delivered and birthed the pro-choice movement. Was she scum? I dont know and dont care.

Trump is one of the least Christlike people on the planet. But the Jesus Freaks are standing in line to kiss his a$$. Most of them are smart enough to know that Trump isnt some Godly person trying to do right, but they dont care. What they do care about is seats on SCOTUS, no abortion, low taxes, low regulations, prayer everywhere they can force it in, etc. Trump got them all that so they love him. The ends justify the means. The left needs to adopt that attitude.

Its a lesson that must be learned. If the left continue with their purity contests, things will continue as they are. The left needs someone to fight dirty as Trump did. I dont even fault Orange Man for doing it. He knew how dirty the system was, he know how to pander to fear, and he was a master at media manipulation. All he cared about was ego gratification and he knew how to get it. In return, he gave those who stroked his ego everything they could ever want.
I am not a Trump supporter and you won't ever see me defend him. He has also never said anything close to as racist as that lady did.

The fact you are defending her is quite telling though.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times
Quote:
You’re a big fan of big government.
If you actually believe in small government as you so often claim one would think that you would agree with letting states make decisions that are not in the constitution.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:23 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I am not a Trump supporter and you won't ever see me defend him. He has also never said anything close to as racist as that lady did.

I simply dont care. I never specified you, but the GOP did dictate the current terms of the ends justify the means via Donald Trump. Those rules are very popular with voters fed up with decades of nothing. The Dems now have to play to those rules or get left behind.

Quote:
If you actually believe in small government as you so often claim one would think that you would agree with letting states make decisions that are not in the constitution.
Ive never actually claimed to be a small government or big government person.

Anyone who claims to be in favor of telling consenting adults what they can do in their own homes cannot pretend to be in favor of small government, PERIOD. Youve confused "states rights" with "small government". Evangelicals that want to force their religion onto every part of our lives are pro-big government. This isnt a debate about Federalism.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:55 PM

573 posts, read 336,601 times
Quote:

What did Trump say about black people? Mexicans? Muslims? Native Americans? And the Birther fiasco that many still believe?

Again you never bothered to click on the link (with at least 3 different orgs examining Sanger through the years) which includes a copy of Sangers letter in full context. You consciencely made that choice and consciencely made a choice to take it out of context and spread a lie. Sounds like another poster.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:01 PM

573 posts, read 336,601 times
Quote:
Pilsn3r, youre handling this wrong. Dont make excuses and throw the ball back into their court.

Trump taught the left something they should have heeded: the ends justify the means. Who cares if she was a giant POS as a person? She made giant headways for birth control and she founded Planned Parenthood. She delivered and birthed the pro-choice movement. Was she scum? I dont know and dont care.

Trump is one of the least Christlike people on the planet. But the Jesus Freaks are standing in line to kiss his a$$. Most of them are smart enough to know that Trump isnt some Godly person trying to do right, but they dont care. What they do care about is seats on SCOTUS, no abortion, low taxes, low regulations, prayer everywhere they can force it in, etc. Trump got them all that so they love him. The ends justify the means. The left needs to adopt that attitude.

Its a lesson that must be learned. If the left continue with their purity contests, things will continue as they are. The left needs someone to fight dirty as Trump did. I dont even fault Orange Man for doing it. He knew how dirty the system was, he know how to pander to fear, and he was a master at media manipulation. All he cared about was ego gratification and he knew how to get it. In return, he gave those who stroked his ego everything they could ever want.
I get it. It's disturbingly amazing how hooked some people are in spreading lies, and ignore facts. Seems more and more common.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:23 PM

430 posts, read 291,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
Just curious if any progressives that have moved/will move to Texas for a job transfer/cheaper housing are having second thoughts now that Roe has been overturned.

I was considering visiting Austin and Houston and just sticking to the core cities since I heard they've become much more progressive. However the draconian abortion laws in the state of Texas are truly horrifying and are a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to spend a dime visiting Texas now and will avoid supporting TX companies if possible.

Is there anyone else from a blue state who feels this way and is rethinking relocating or going to school there? If you are already in Texas, do you have buyers remorse and want to move back to your blue state?
Ok bye!

Old 07-05-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This is such a disingenuous response. I for one am not stupid enough to think overturning Roe is the endgame. It's not. The second they take over the Senate, Republicans will pull a complete 180 on the filibuster and gut it so they can pass a Federal abortion ban. If/when it becomes law the pro-choice states will sue, it'll make its way through the courts, and when it reaches SCOTUS the same justices who struck down Roe will conveniently uphold the ban.

Clarence Thomas has voiced support for weakening the First Amendment, scrapping access to contraception, bringing back anti-sodomy laws, and invalidating same-sex marriages. Social conservatives (who are in the minority) aren't going to be happy until this country is an authoritarian, Christian Nationalist "utopia" like Hungary. Conservative media types and CPAC have been busy the last couple years trying to normalize the graft and corruption that's occurred under Viktor Orban's regime.
LOL, as someone who is an Independent with a convervative lean, I'd tell ya to stop listening to the amount of non-sense that these ridiculous political cable channels try to tell you.

As conservatives have been crying about the same thing with liberals for the past 10 years or so. But if we're being honest, both parties do NOT have the cajones to do what is necessary in this country.

So glad that Scotus is putting their foot down, instead of hearing from wambulance from these backwards politicians and their shenanigans'.

If you don't like the direction the country is heading, you've got other options for countries, my guy.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'll give you my honest opinion on this... and I'm going to tell you as a black male, I was not a fan of Trump at all during his presidency... This is my assertion of this, post presidency and just being open and looking back ...respectfully speaking as well...

Do I think Trump is racist? Maybe.. ..I do believe the media blew it way out of proportion for political purposes if he was however.. ..and by that, it is to state that racism has been apart of both parties (democratic and republican) for a long time and Trump is no more or no less racists than Biden. Biden also has a history of racism and making just as many racists remarks as Trump has.. ..and both have a history of shady business practices that have hurt people in lower income brackets, who tend to be minority groups.. my issue isn't so much as calling Trump 'racists' but rather that the media and the masses are only focusing on one side...

...Now here is where I think, we as the people do need some maturing in the political aspect.. ..I agree that racism is ugly, and I don't like it from either party, however; racism and social / class issues are the only matters we seem to be focusing on when we are qualifying our elect .. .. but they are not the only important attributes when selecting a political leader. I know of women who hated how Trump treated and looked down on them (he was filthy in this area) but still voted for him and felt he was the best for this country at that point in time, NOT because of his character, but because of his policies, especially in the fiscal realm.. ..and I think the policies aspect is something many American's are overlooking as to how important they are and how dangerous it is when we don't adhere to good policy. Trump may have been a complete d!ck (I hated him TBH) but he did have good negotiation skills and good financial practices in terms of the direction of this country, and he wasn't someone you could easily cross (this is important, leaders HAVE to be strong.) Those practices gave minority groups more opportunity, more business growth and more financial independence (for those who actively pursued it, and many did) .. Trump never blocked any minority group from obtaining wealth ..

I will give you one thing, Trump did appeal to supremist and cultists who seemed to support white nationalism. This is the one area that deeply.. ..appalled me about Trump, infact it was the reason I voted for Biden, however; I believe Trump's policy, especially that of putting America first gravitated nationalists to support him because nationalists were getting tired of left wing policies that were slowly eating away at the heritage of this country (where I also believe there is alot of insecurity in the minority groups which is another massive topic in itself) , such as the destruction on monuments, the liberalization of states, the micro-economic factors such as taxing and where their finances were really going, ect.. ..I believe White Supremist were a group that favored Trump, but that does not necessarily equate to Trump intending to build a White Utopia, more so that they favored his principals in preserving the American heritage which is why they fought so hard to defend him. I'm sure some of them DID support and want racism as well, but that doesn't speak for all of them, nor does it speak for all (or even the majority) of Trump's supporters.. ..and that is also to state, they were not the only group that supported Trump either. They were the 'elephant of the room' - the group that stood out and made the most noise.. extremists if you will, and the left has their share of extremists as well.

That is all
Not particularly white nationilists.

Just people that wanted to break the system per say. (I'm black btw)

and Trump did more in 4 years (And are arguably more, in terms of Supreme court nominees) then most of the predecessors have done in 8 years.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:30 AM

1,052 posts, read 574,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Should there be one there for rape or incest? Personally, and especially since the numbers for either are so low, I'd throw that dog a bone and say yes. .
You’d be surprised.

I can tell you from my personal real life encounters with friends, coworkers and people in our social circle, sadly speaking, that how many women were molested/assaulted/harassed by family friends, relatives, family members (father, grandfather) when they were growing up. I was shocked and heartbroken for them. A lot of them either became sexually indifferent (to the point of promiscuous.), having very low self-esteem (to the point of letting anyone walk all over them and thus in an abusive relationship.) and very fragile, damaged self-image, or became lesbians.

On top of my head I could tell you two girlfriend of mine, one was extremely close, both were raped unprovoked by total strangers. One was in the upscale neighborhood of Montclair NJ, at 9 pm, we’ll-lit safe neighborhood. She was tall and strong, but the rapist threatened her at gun point. One was going home at 10 pm, safe suburb in CT, being shoved by two men in neighbors’ bush, gunpoint.

As far as I know if, (or they didn’t disclose) none of these resulted in pregnancy (thank goodness!) but imagine if it were.

I was just as traumatized by listening to them, how heartless one has to be to even force these women going through yet another trauma again to raise the rapists’ babies?!

Last edited by achtung baby; 07-06-2022 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas