Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Answer me this? Just look at what city-data did for Texas forum. IMHO, I feel Fort Worth should have been paired up with Dallas, because really how far apart are they in miles? And put Rio Grande Valley as a separate forum. But they divied it up as Austin, Corpus, Dallas, El Paso, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio. Why? I think they saw them as major cities.
Cities are picked due to how much they are discussed on this board, and going by your logic. Cities like Boulder, CO and Ocala, FL are all major cities which are both smaller than many cities in TX.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Cities are picked due to how much they are discussed on this board, and going by your logic. Cities like Boulder, CO and Ocala, FL are all major cities which are both smaller than many cities in TX.
True, but Denver is considered the major city of Colorado and it's population wouldn't even rank it in the top 3 to Texas, but seeing what it does for that state, it's major. I'm just saying it all depends on the state and all.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Nope, the majority of the cities in TX over 100k (excluding suburbs) each offer something different and unique feel. To say that only the top 5 are the only major cities is wrong. Tx offers more than just those cities.

Ranging from Killeen, to Lubbock, to Waco.

To exclude cities like Galveston, South Padre, El Paso,. for being considered Major cities is just insane.

In California, cities like SF, SD and LA aren't the only cities considered to be major cities, it goes much more beyond that,
No offense to the residents, but the only people that talk about those cities are people on this forum. To include those cities is insane! Most people in the US don't even know where those cities ARE. If you have noticed, population is not the only criteria for a major city. IMO Texas has about 4 major cities: 2 are solid and the other 2 are iffy. I think you need to try living in some new cities. Get a clue!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
Quote:
Nope, the majority of the cities in TX over 100k (excluding suburbs) each offer something different and unique feel. To say that only the top 5 are the only major cities is wrong. Tx offers more than just those cities.
Just because a city offers something different than another one does not make it major. Please define what you think makes a city major?

Quote:
To exclude cities like Galveston, South Padre, El Paso,. for being considered Major cities is just insane.
Galveston and El Paso, maybe could be considered borderline major, but how do you figure South Padre (with a population of 2,422) remotely major. Just because it is a major tourist trap DOES NOT make it a major city. With that reasoning I guess Salado is also a major city!

Again, please define what you think makes a city major!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:15 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
It dosen't matter because we all have a different opinion of what a major city is (even though I'm right ).

Major cities in Texas go beyond the top 5, and anyone outside of TX will tell you that. No one says the only major cities in TX are Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, and Fort Worth. They are the most important, but not the only major ones.
Waco is not a major city. It's a medium-sized city in Texas. Just because it's above 100K does not make it major. Cities over 100K aren't major cities anyway. You're going by one news story where they called Waco a "major city".

Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
So what are counties made up of?
Dallas, Rockwall, Collin, Ellis, Kaufman, Hunt, and Delta.

Out of those counties, only Dallas and Collin county are heavily populated.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem154 View Post
Dallas and Houston are the major cities. Not only are they major cities, they are considered Global Cities, along with only a handful of others in the United States.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
There are two major cities in Texas. They are Dallas and Houston. The rest are minor cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
National wise? Houston and Dallas. Regional wise? Add in San Antonio and Austin.
I agree with these assessments.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Don't forget the largest hospital district between Dallas and Phoenix.
Houston has the largest medical district.

Texas Medical Center - Welcome to Houston, Home of the World's Largest Medical Center

Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I was talking about Lubbock's healthcare industry in that post. Even though Lubbock is half the size of El Paso, Albuquerque, and Tucson, we have a bigger hospital district. By some accounts, our hospitals are more advanced than those in Phoenix.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Waco is not a major city. It's a medium-sized city in Texas. Just because it's above 100K does not make it major. Cities over 100K aren't major cities anyway. You're going by one news story where they called Waco a "major city".
I couldn't agree more. It's hard for me to take it seriously when people believe a "city" of 100,000 is big and major. Population isn't the sole determining factor, but it is definitely one factor at the very least. I'd rep you again but apparently I have to spread the love to some others before I can rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas