Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,413,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
We're not talking city limits (obviously), or SA would be ahead of Dallas. McAllen metro is above 700K. Corpus is, what, right below 400K?
Corpus is at 432k. Not only that, it has the sixth largest port in the nation, the worlds largest helicopter repair facility, three military bases, Crucial refineries for major companies, a nice museum and arts scene for a city its size, Minor League Baseball, AFL2, Division I basketball team, an Interstate highway, two US highways, a large arena and convention center, actual districts somewhat, a great freeway system, and a lot of business downtown. Corpus is also home to the most taqueria's in any city in the world, (joking). McAllen has none of that, granted it is progressing further along than Corpus, but has a long way to go to have anything of what Corpus has. All it has is retail and a new convention center.

So speaking as of which city has more big city amenities, CC takes the cake. CC has all of the amenities any large city in the U.S. has, except the retail.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Comparing CC to teh sities of Hposuton and Dallas is pretty silly IMO;as it has nothing like the overall thigns that sither has. Just the reasturant section is nothing compared to them. The the number of other things like museums and other cultural things is no comparison. I like CC to visit but its not metropolitain by any means. he first thing you will always find in a metro city is a international ariposrt. Efven SWan Antionio doesn't have one because its really not needed .

Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Corpus is at 432k.
I was wrong, and so are you: Corpus Christi, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

And McAllen for good measure: McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

So, Corpus is actually losing people domestically, while McAllen gains.

Quote:
Not only that, it has the sixth largest port in the nation, the worlds largest helicopter repair facility, three military bases, Crucial refineries for major companies, a nice museum and arts scene for a city its size, Minor League Baseball, AFL2, Division I basketball team, an Interstate highway, two US highways, a large arena and convention center, actual districts somewhat, a great freeway system, and a lot of business downtown. Corpus is also home to the most taqueria's in any city in the world, (joking). McAllen has none of that, granted it is progressing further along than Corpus, but has a long way to go to have anything of what Corpus has. All it has is retail and a new convention center.

So speaking as of which city has more big city amenities, CC takes the cake. CC has all of the amenities any large city in the U.S. has, except the retail.
I'll let someone from McAllen handle this.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I was wrong, and so are you: Corpus Christi, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

And McAllen for good measure: McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

So, Corpus is actually losing people domestically, while McAllen gains.

I'll let someone from McAllen handle this.
Corpus isn't losing. It is gaining. But only a couple of thousand a year. I am also talking about the Corpus Christi-Kingsville CSA. That is 432,000.

Also, I was saying CC was good with arts and museums for a city it's size. It does have all the amenities a large city has. Just less retail, less restaurants, and a less metropolitan/cosmopolitan feel. By the way, its Corpus Christi International Airport. It doesn't have any international destinations, but there are open routes to Mexico that would allow for them.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Corpus isn't losing. It is gaining. But only a couple of thousand a year. I am also talking about the Corpus Christi-Kingsville CSA. That is 432,000.

Also, I was saying CC was good with arts and museums for a city it's size. It does have all the amenities a large city has. Just less retail, less restaurants, and a less metropolitan/cosmopolitan feel. By the way, its Corpus Christi International Airport. It doesn't have any international destinations, but there are open routes to Mexico that would allow for them.
All you have to do is click the link and see for yourself that Corpus is losing people domestically. McAllen has an international airport, as well. There are also airports in Harlingen and Brownsville.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
All you have to do is click the link and see for yourself that Corpus is losing people domestically. McAllen has an international airport, as well. There are also airports in Harlingen and Brownsville.
But overall CC is gaining population. and Brownsville just flies to Houston and Dallas. Harlingen goes to Houston Austin, San Antonio, and Seasonally Minneanapolis. McAllen goes to Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Orlando, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. Thats a small amount of destinations for an area of over 1 million people.

Then again CC only flies to Houston and Dallas. But still, CC is more significant of a city than McAllen is. McAllen's main industry is tourists from Mexico shopping at American stores. Other than that its health care. Corpus's economy is based on Tourism, Agriculture, Petrochemical, Medical, Military, the Sea Port, and Business.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 PM

244 posts, read 804,416 times
Plus Corpus Christi is just plain BADASS!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
But overall CC is gaining population. and Brownsville just flies to Houston and Dallas. Harlingen goes to Houston Austin, San Antonio, and Seasonally Minneanapolis. McAllen goes to Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Orlando, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. Thats a small amount of destinations for an area of over 1 million people.
Overall it's gaining, but ONLY because of births minus deaths and a very small international migration. Domestically, people are leaving Corpus for other cities.

Quote:
Then again CC only flies to Houston and Dallas. But still, CC is more significant of a city than McAllen is. McAllen's main industry is tourists from Mexico shopping at American stores. Other than that its health care. Corpus's economy is based on Tourism, Agriculture, Petrochemical, Medical, Military, the Sea Port, and Business.
I know those are for McAllen. Not to mention trade (being it's right across the border from Mexico).

Old 09-12-2009, 06:23 PM

67 posts, read 149,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The Panhandle lacks major cities like Dallas and Austin. Cities like Waco, Tyler, and Killeen are considered nothing when compared to these cities.

Who's Lubbock competition???
Amarillo
We have Amarillo Collage and WTAMU
We have the Gorillas hocky team, the Dillas Baseball, and the Dusters Indoor football teams.
We have the Amarillo, Canyon, Bushland, Panhandle MSA (which is around 300K population), we have the largest building between DFW and Denver,
Good skyline for our size, I-40, and the best highschool football team defence in the state.
1 last thing. Pala duro canyon.
We fillmed freaking Ophara here for a year.
Pantex, Textron-Bell Helis, and 2 songs.
Amarillo is defenate compotiton

Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraghawk View Post
Amarillo
We have Amarillo Collage and WTAMU
We have the Gorillas hocky team, the Dillas Baseball, and the Dusters Indoor football teams.
We have the Amarillo, Canyon, Bushland, Panhandle MSA (which is around 300K population), we have the largest building between DFW and Denver,
Good skyline for our size, I-40, and the best highschool football team defence in the state.
1 last thing. Pala duro canyon.
We fillmed freaking Ophara here for a year.
Pantex, Textron-Bell Helis, and 2 songs.
Amarillo is defenate compotiton
I disagree. None of that really indicates that Amarillo is a major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas