Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 PM

51 posts, read 98,203 times

Advertisements

[quote=mas23;7792373]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyb007 View Post
Toronto was (believe it or not) founded much earlier than Chicago, therefore it's older and has more history albiet most of it not well known.
Chicago doesnt have as many buildings as Toronto but still looks better than Toronto's skyline. Chicago like many big cities have people living there from all over the world, but not like Toronto where it's more balanced where Chicago is mostly black or white (kind of boring..)
Transportation in Toronto is better, only New York has a larger transit system.

FUNNY

At the 2007 U.S. Census estimates, Chicago's population was: 38.9% White (30.9% non-Hispanic-White), 35.6% Black or African American, 0.5% American Indian and Alaska Native, 5.3% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander, 21.3% some other race and 1.6% two or more races. 28.1% of the total population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. [4].
The main ethnic groups in Chicago are African American, Irish, German, Italian, Mexican, English, Bulgarian, Greek, Chinese, Lithuanian American, Polish, Serbian, Ukrainian and Puerto Rican. Many of Chicago's politicians have come from this massive Irish population, including the current mayor, Richard M. Daley. Poles in Chicago constitute the largest ethnically Polish population outside of the Polish capital, Warsaw, making it one of the most important Polonia centers,[49] a fact that the city celebrates every Labor Day weekend at the Taste of Polonia Festival in Jefferson Park.[50] The Chicago Metropolitan area is also becoming a major center for Indian Americans and South Asian Americans. Chicago has the third largest South Asian American population in the country, after New York City and San Francisco. According to a 2008 U.S. Census report, the Chicago metropolitan area was the only Midwestern metropolitan area to land in the Top 10 list of the fastest growing areas in the country.[

What's your point?? It is STILL mostly White and Black that was my whole point. Obviously a city that size will have all kinds of others, I never said it didnt.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 PM

20 posts, read 108,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
If you lived in Toronto, then you'd know that the cable car is actually referred to as a streetcar. Stop pretending you know so much.
He's right about our transit system though. It does leave some more to be desired.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 PM

110 posts, read 620,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontonian1980 View Post
He's right about our transit system though. It does leave some more to be desired.
Well, glad to hear that from a Torontonian. But since you seem to be a native then i will ask you what you would like to be improved about the Toronto transit system ? I am just asking out of curiosity since i didnt use it that much.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:46 AM

20 posts, read 108,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
Well, glad to hear that from a Torontonian. But since you seem to be a native then i will ask you what you would like to be improved about the Toronto transit system ? I am just asking out of curiosity since i didnt use it that much.
Well for starters, 1:30 AM seems way too early to completely shut down the subway system for me sometimes. I hate taking the street-car west bound on Queen street late at night, it's very slow. There is no such thing as skip-stop trains in the entire subway system, so we got to sit through every stop and nearly half of the time there's always some kind of delay for whatever reason. I think when they first designed the system they weren't foreseeing Toronto being as big as it is today.

Crossing from one end of the city to the other takes forever. They also need to build lines connecting to places like York University and to Pearson airport. It really is the pits getting to that airport without a car/cab from pretty much anywhere in the city. Also, as I actually live in neighbouring Mississauga now, I really would appreciate some kind of rapid rail transit system connecting to Toronto other than having to rely on the more expensive GO Train service which only comes every hour during non-peak times. So if you happen to miss the train, then pray there's alot of juice left in your iPod or something. Ugh...

They did add a new subway line relatively recently in the northeast part of the city(Sheppard Line) which is good for the people up there I suppose, but it means nothing to everyone else because most people have no business in that area unless they live there. I think I rode it once, just for fun.

Torontonians have been begging for upgrades for as long as I can remember and I've heard a lot of promises from the government, but in reality work on upgrading the system is going very slow. I'm heading off to New York City next month and have been looking at their more extensive subway system. Let's just say I'm very jealous of them right now.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM

175 posts, read 1,592,903 times
A simple comparison when it comes to public rapid transit

Toronto: 4 (3.5?) lines and 69 stations, 68.3 km; 6am (9am weekend) -1:30am
Chicago: 8 lines, 144 station, 170.8 km; 24 hours.

Conclusion: Coverage of Toronto's rapid transit is about 40% of Chicago's, although the population is roughly the same. The fact the Pearson is not accessible by subway is simply unimaginable.

FYI: The San Fran Bay Area has 5 lines, 43 stations, 167 km. Population San Fran + San Mateo Country = 1.5 mn. much less than Toronto's 2.5 million.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,158 times
Where are you from, West Virginia? Regardless of your ethnic background, you shouldn't say such racist comments like, "be glad there aren't as many blacks and Latinos in Chicago." In case you forgot, Chicago is around 72% Latino and African American and will continue to increase, as America is tanning. As an African American living in Chicago I believe it is more advantageous for a minority to live in Toronto. Folks from Toronto are much more tolerant of others, than the vibrant "cow town mentality of Chicago". I would classify Toronto as a global city simply in terms of diversity and global thought on par with London and Sydney. Despite Chicago having the highest diversified economy in the United States, it is also the most segregated large city in the US, which depending on who you are means alot

Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 PM

110 posts, read 620,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontonian1980 View Post
Well for starters, 1:30 AM seems way too early to completely shut down the subway system for me sometimes. I hate taking the street-car west bound on Queen street late at night, it's very slow. There is no such thing as skip-stop trains in the entire subway system, so we got to sit through every stop and nearly half of the time there's always some kind of delay for whatever reason. I think when they first designed the system they weren't foreseeing Toronto being as big as it is today.

Crossing from one end of the city to the other takes forever. They also need to build lines connecting to places like York University and to Pearson airport. It really is the pits getting to that airport without a car/cab from pretty much anywhere in the city. Also, as I actually live in neighbouring Mississauga now, I really would appreciate some kind of rapid rail transit system connecting to Toronto other than having to rely on the more expensive GO Train service which only comes every hour during non-peak times. So if you happen to miss the train, then pray there's alot of juice left in your iPod or something. Ugh...

They did add a new subway line relatively recently in the northeast part of the city(Sheppard Line) which is good for the people up there I suppose, but it means nothing to everyone else because most people have no business in that area unless they live there. I think I rode it once, just for fun.

Torontonians have been begging for upgrades for as long as I can remember and I've heard a lot of promises from the government, but in reality work on upgrading the system is going very slow. I'm heading off to New York City next month and have been looking at their more extensive subway system. Let's just say I'm very jealous of them right now.
Thanks for your thoughts. I do agree with you on many things but didnt realize that it wasnt covering a large part of the remote areas of the city. I do remember purchasing a weekly pass one time and then trying to get on the GO-train somewhere only to find out they do not work together so i couldnt use my ass and had to buy a GO-train pass....so it became somewhat expensive.

I still like the street-car because it is charming but i realize it may not be that efficient and can sometimes be very slow as well as limited. Chicago's train is awsome. The Loop, the elevated train and t goes all the way to both airport. That's practicle. Very good price and very efficient.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Now I've never been to Toronto but after reading this thread I would say toronto is similar to chicago's North Side, just without the super high density. Chi's n.side has all types of people from around the world, plus that's where alot of the Africans and carribeans live at. Devon ave. on the north side feels like you're in India or pakistan, especially during the summer.
As far as transportation goes, again don't really know about toronto but for the most part the cta trains are pretty decent but if you live on the far south side you won't get any service (IMO I think it covers about 60% of the city) not to mention they're always working on the lines. But the cool thing about chicago is that you also have the option of taking the Metra trains. It's faster, everybody gets service, and it goes to the suburbs

Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM

51 posts, read 98,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
A simple comparison when it comes to public rapid transit

Toronto: 4 (3.5?) lines and 69 stations, 68.3 km; 6am (9am weekend) -1:30am
Chicago: 8 lines, 144 station, 170.8 km; 24 hours.

Conclusion: Coverage of Toronto's rapid transit is about 40% of Chicago's, although the population is roughly the same. The fact the Pearson is not accessible by subway is simply unimaginable.

FYI: The San Fran Bay Area has 5 lines, 43 stations, 167 km. Population San Fran + San Mateo Country = 1.5 mn. much less than Toronto's 2.5 million.

1) San Fran Bay may have 5 lines but they have 43 stations. TTC has 69 stations.
2) Chicago has more lines and stations but they have 2,222 buses, TTC has almost 1800 (And if serving the GTA that is not including brampton transit, mississauga transit, markham, viva etc.) If you counted those the GTA has well over 3000 buses. The GTA's buses outnumber chicagos. TTC also has almost 250 street cars, chicago does not. This is why it's known that the TTC is the 2nd largest transit system in north america (obviously only trumped by new york) Oh and the CTA serves 40, yes 40 suburbs, which is great! but no doubt they should have more buses, but they dont if we include torontos suburbs.

So the TTC is not 40% of the CTA as you say.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyb007 View Post
1) San Fran Bay may have 5 lines but they have 43 stations. TTC has 69 stations.
2) Chicago has more lines and stations but they have 2,222 buses, TTC has almost 1800 (And if serving the GTA that is not including brampton transit, mississauga transit, markham, viva etc.) If you counted those the GTA has well over 3000 buses. The GTA's buses outnumber chicagos. TTC also has almost 250 street cars, chicago does not. This is why it's known that the TTC is the 2nd largest transit system in north america (obviously only trumped by new york) Oh and the CTA serves 40, yes 40 suburbs, which is great! but no doubt they should have more buses, but they dont if we include torontos suburbs.

So the TTC is not 40% of the CTA as you say.
Don't forget about the PACE busses. That goes throughout the suburbs and some parts of chicago that border the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto