Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 12:17 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It seems Toronto seeks Esteem and Prestige in any vacuum it sees it can use to a advantage. Not necessarily a bad thing. But it was there to gain from Montreal's loss from the Separatist movement fears. That really started its fast rise. As I am sure if the UN move card did pass the US Congress? I'm sure Toronto would fight Montreal for it. As Montreal did actively seek it in 2008. Again as a Prestige gaining move on a Worldwide Stage it craves.

In due time Status and Prestige recognition surely will come. As time establishes a city to its accomplishments and Stature it deserves. But as a National Airport Hub. Toronto has little competition? With Vancouver, it naturally is with Asia especially China. While Toronto has the rest of the world along with Asia. The US just has too many cities to split direct links. So perhaps there is room to gain. Certianly, if a US city can loose out on something? Toronto is happy to dive in and confiscate with no apologies.

Not a bad thing in such a competitive world.
If anything, Toronto in general SHOULD care more about world prestige. There is absolutely nothing wrong or shameful about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 PM

412 posts, read 386,361 times
If our politicians made Canada look good, well, whose fault is that? Mostly those who vote for sleazy politicians. The world SHOULD reward any country that aims higher ethically. Not limited to Canada.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Well, for 1 postings in US forums Canada and having its cities vs US cities seem to wish for Toronto to claim the crown vs. all US cities not NYC?

This thread is in direct response to President Trumps actions. So it is a "let's grab a opportunity or vacuum that can gain increases to grow stature in our airport?

I did say it is how competition works. Even as cities must always keep on their toes. Lest another steal business away. Chicago saw this in O'Hare's endless battle fights for expansions by neighbors (it's now getting some). In Atlanta stealing its crown in most passengers a year.
NYC has its 3 major region airports.

It's not a MOTIVE as in wanting to undercut other cities. No but a uniform desire for Prestige and World recognition? Still is a Big aim in what Toronto can Build and achieve. Just some still see its premature to claim all Yet. Especially vs. Cetian cities?

Toronto has huge growth fast and much started in Montreal's loss? Of not for the Separatist Movement of Quebec, back in a day. Montreal might/probably be much more where Toronto is today?

In other words? It's all happened pretty fast. With few obstacles and major blows or a bubble burst?

But many Torontonians and Canadians? See that means nothing. Just look at us NOW attitude.

I'm not bashing but you inferred my motive? So I tried to respond in my opinion.
This is how it's been since time immortal. If a country has onerous regulations or restrictions then another country that doesn't can capitalize on it.

Textile mills moved from New England to North Carolina and then to China as conditions changed. Auto manufacturing moved from Detroit to southern states to Mexico.

Airline stocks for US companies have gone down in recent days. Air Canada stands to gain.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:25 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This is how it's been since time immortal. If a country has onerous regulations or restrictions then another country that doesn't can capitalize on it.

Textile mills moved from New England to North Carolina and then to China as conditions changed. Auto manufacturing moved from Detroit to southern states to Mexico.

Airline stocks for US companies have gone down in recent days. Air Canada stands to gain.
The US is usually labeled by others as the --

- cut-throught
- over-competitive
- will never under-cut unfairly
- first to back-door a perceived competitor.

Canada is the. --

- most-fair
- compassionate
- will never-undercut
- more we then me me me.
- never have a alteriel motive

The comment I made was in reply

It's not a MOTIVE as in wanting to undercut other cities. No but a uniform desire for Prestige and World recognition? Still is a Big aim in what Toronto can Build and achieve. Just some still see its premature to claim all Yet. Especially vs. Certian cities?

I merely noted the premise of this thread was to gain MORE Prestige for Toronto on the world stage it craves. That was it. It was turned to my motive.

This thread merely proved that? That is how others see this is what Torontonians beg do. In their growth and belief it's Stature has arrived to a prestige and value that surpassed even Chicago. Lessened San Fransico's stature in threads and Boston's and of course Chicago's to claim superiority to them. Threads have gotten closed in vs threads with Toronto.

If a American city sought to gain in a perceived posibillity? It could TAKE FROM Toronto? It would be "the ugly Americans".😫' But here its friendly competition.

Toronto gained what Montreal lost in the Separist threat of Quebec and never had to look back. You do have to give it credit for fast and steady growth that seemed recession-proof

To us it's just competition between the airline industry. For them its -----> what it can do for Toronto's world Prestige and Stature. 👌

Old 02-02-2017, 05:00 PM

605 posts, read 670,298 times
Quote:
I have been reading a lot about Trump's ban of various Muslim countries. Apparently it applies to people in transit. For instance a UK woman was traveling from Costa Rica (where she was on vacation) to London via NYC and because she has dual citizenship with a banned country they denied her transit visa.

I was thinking that with this, perhaps Toronto International Airport could capitalize on this and take away a lot of Newark/JFK/Logan/Ohare/Atlanta/Miami's international flights. There are many transit flights that go through those east coast hubs on the way to countries south of the border or the Caribbean.

This may be a chance for Toronto to become the premier hub in North America if they play their cards right.
Most of the countries on the banned list are impoverished warzones (ie Yemen, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, etc) so I doubt Toronto would see an increase in traffic irregardless. That being said Air Canada is using this strategy as a business model of sorts as of lately since foreigners flying into Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver for a quick layover and then flying to a destination outside of the US/Canada are not forced to clear customs/immigration unlike in the US (even those who are just in transit).

Old 02-02-2017, 05:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Most of the countries on the banned list are impoverished warzones (ie Yemen, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, etc) so I doubt Toronto would see an increase in traffic irregardless. That being said Air Canada is using this strategy as a business model of sorts as of lately since foreigners flying into Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver for a quick layover and then flying to a destination outside of the US/Canada are not forced to clear customs/immigration unlike in the US (even those who are just in transit).
Just curious, if a plane flight from Toronto to say Costa Rica is carrying passengers from the banned countries, does the US still permit that flight to transit its air space? What if there was an equipment failure, would it allow the plane to land knowing that banned people were on board?

Also, dual citizens from the UK with those banned countries are not permitted in the US (unlike Canadian dual citizenships, we seemed to have made an exception for that). So there are more people than at first glance.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Just curious, if a plane flight from Toronto to say Costa Rica is carrying passengers from the banned countries, does the US still permit that flight to transit its air space? What if there was an equipment failure, would it allow the plane to land knowing that banned people were on board?

Also, dual citizens from the UK with those banned countries are not permitted in the US (unlike Canadian dual citizenships, we seemed to have made an exception for that). So there are more people than at first glance.
for transit, technically they are not in the US since these passengers didn't go through border control. If you can't enter the US, you can't cause any threat.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:20 PM

605 posts, read 670,298 times
Quote:

As far as I know of airspace is not restricted so someone with UK/Iranian dual citizenship flying from the UK to Mexico City would not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
for transit, technically they are not in the US since these passengers didn't go through border control. If you can't enter the US, you can't cause any threat.
I know Canadian airports have a different setup since they allow transit passengers to avoid clearing Canadian/US immigration aside from a simple security check for the most part but US airports are setup differently and even arriving international passengers just having a layover in the US (for example someone flying from Europe to Costa Rica with a layover in Miami) are forced to clear US immigration/customs, recheck their bags, and then re-enter security again so the visa ban would probably affect US airlines more so than Air Canada or the major European/Middle Eastern carriers (although the effect would probably be minimal at best).

Old 02-04-2017, 11:51 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Why would Toronto's airport in any way benefit from Trump's idiocy? Putting aside the fact that Trump's absurd actions have been found to be illegal, and have been overturned, if an airline's passengers can't fly to the U.S., there is no logical reason why they would just fly to Toronto.

The banned passenger would be sitting home in Iran, or somewhere, until the issue got resolved. They aren't going to just hop a plane to Canada for the heck of it.

Also, most of these countries just don't have much passenger volume. It isn't like Yemen is generating tremendous flight traffic.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:41 PM

295 posts, read 264,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why would Toronto's airport in any way benefit from Trump's idiocy? Putting aside the fact that Trump's absurd actions have been found to be illegal, and have been overturned, if an airline's passengers can't fly to the U.S., there is no logical reason why they would just fly to Toronto.

The banned passenger would be sitting home in Iran, or somewhere, until the issue got resolved. They aren't going to just hop a plane to Canada for the heck of it.

Also, most of these countries just don't have much passenger volume. It isn't like Yemen is generating tremendous flight traffic.
His executive order was found "illegal" by a rather controversial judge (on the other hand another judge from Boston found the order legal). An appeal process is under way... Your darling Obama made a similar EO several years ago, but you probably was not aware about it.

The hatred of Trump by radical left is absolutely illogical. Some LBGT protest against him, while at the same time embracing radical Islam. Radical Islam that want to kill them and kills them. I never imagined there were so many Canadians hating USA. Probably, an inferiority complex went too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto