Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
People do things for a variety of reasons. Some may not want to come to the USA because of uneasy feelings about politics, but certainly the fact that the Canadian dollar is worth 77 US cents is a huge consideration. The Mexican peso has lost well over 1/3 of it's value relative to the US dollar since Trump announced his candidacy. It is now considerably cheaper to vacation in Montreal or a Mexican city.

The Japanese tourist loves the romance of the Calgary rodeos and every young Japanese girl has read the story of Anne Shirley, a young orphan from the fictional community of Bolingbroke, Nova Scotia. It is expected that the Chinese will soon develop a tourism trade involving hundreds of millions of citizens. Chinese Canadians now number over half a million in greater Toronto, so it is possible that the region will become a magnet for Chinese tourists looking for a taste of French culture in Montreal without the massive expense of going to Paris.
This is a very insightful post. Not about a "Lets go get them attitude" in competition. As many other things come into decisions on international Tourist choosing Canadian cities to link to others in North America and increased Tourism to Canada itself.

You touched on them. Much comes down to cost of flying into a city as Toronto over a NYC airport or O'hare or Atlanta for 3 cities whose airports have a lot of connection flights. Even getting a passport faster also.

Air Canada, unless owned and run by the Canadian government? It is Corporate decisions in competition and having its Hub as Toronto. Therefore what the airport does matters too. Expansions though are years in completing and Trump could be out and "who knows where the economies and dollars will be? Or the world too.

I merely called out the intent of the thread and comments that replies seemed to verify is true. I didn't even have to infer Toronto ----> as a city seeking and stature that can be had from other cities. No one can discount how Toronto's "Fast Rise" was truly begun with the transfer of the Power base of Canada from Montreal to Toronto. Then it had all nessesary to "Take Off" in the growth it has seen.

Just I see no city that seems to seek-- esteem and recognition of a "Arrival" of sorts? That the world and - especially Americans don't acknowledge enough?

Especially the superiority already proclaimed over virtually all US cities not NYC on C-D I've read in postings.

But I did learn more on C-D then I knew merely from visits in Toronto also. In reading post like this one too. It seems Air Canada is making some good business decisions that may pay off for sure and dollar differences play a key roll too.

The Political bit of turmoil concerning President Trump? Probably will change as the year goes on. Of course, you never know? The US is forever surprising in trying to predict the future on.

*** But I don't see any stopping Toronto's continued growth as others might? ----> It has become a whole nations Premiere city and that won't change now. Just American cities even named Chicago. Should not be under-estimated as ----> having far more to loose to Toronto? Then it's ability to hold onto it, while still able to gain - is somehow over? As some in post infected. I say Certianly not!

Population alone (especially very fast) does not mean a full superiority is gained at points of surpassing any city. But it can begin to entertain aspects in quantities in offerings. But no automatic surpassing. Some things are gained over time. In other cities favor and side, and over more decades of its attaining it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 PM

412 posts, read 386,361 times
Quote:
People do things for a variety of reasons. Some may not want to come to the USA because of uneasy feelings about politics, but certainly the fact that the Canadian dollar is worth 77 US cents is a huge consideration. The Mexican peso has lost well over 1/3 of it's value relative to the US dollar since Trump announced his candidacy. It is now considerably cheaper to vacation in Montreal or a Mexican city.

The Japanese tourist loves the romance of the Calgary rodeos and every young Japanese girl has read the story of Anne Shirley, a young orphan from the fictional community of Bolingbroke, Nova Scotia. It is expected that the Chinese will soon develop a tourism trade involving hundreds of millions of citizens. Chinese Canadians now number over half a million in greater Toronto, so it is possible that the region will become a magnet for Chinese tourists looking for a taste of French culture in Montreal without the massive expense of going to Paris.
We have pro- and anti-Trump riots. Not confusing if people want to wait, see if it blows over. Some rumor-mongering that he might end up impeached. So putting myself in a sane European's shoes, I'd really think hard about showing up in the USA. He's deliberately baiting terrorists. Will they resist it?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
We have pro- and anti-Trump riots. Not confusing if people want to wait, see if it blows over. Some rumor-mongering that he might end up impeached. So putting myself in a sane European's shoes, I'd really think hard about showing up in the USA. He's deliberately baiting terrorists. Will they resist it?
If the White House continues to operate as it is today (aka complete chaos with daily leaks, chaotic press conferences, and Trump's tantrums), there is a real possibility of impeachment, in the not too distant future.

It is completely foreseeable that even the most ideologically right-wing Republicans would want to see him impeached - because doing so would automatically make Mike Pence POTUS. Pence is a classic GOP veteran, and can work much more seamlessly with congressional GOP leaders than Trump today. And of course, the Dems would also get onboard such an impeachment.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:33 AM

295 posts, read 264,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
If the White House continues to operate as it is today (aka complete chaos with daily leaks, chaotic press conferences, and Trump's tantrums), there is a real possibility of impeachment, in the not too distant future.

It is completely foreseeable that even the most ideologically right-wing Republicans would want to see him impeached - because doing so would automatically make Mike Pence POTUS. Pence is a classic GOP veteran, and can work much more seamlessly with congressional GOP leaders than Trump today. And of course, the Dems would also get onboard such an impeachment.
Keep dreaming

And the leaks are not from Trump's Whitehouse, but from Obama's Whitehouse

Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Keep dreaming

And the leaks are not from Trump's Whitehouse, but from Obama's Whitehouse
lol.

100% of leaks concerning the new administration have occurred after January 20th, 2017. Last time I checked, Donald Trump is the current President of the United States, not Obama.

4 Weeks in office, and already 2.51 million stories on Google with "Trump White House Leaks": https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...te+house+leaks

Leaks Plague Trump White House, Will They Continue?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/u...rump.html?_r=0
Trump anti-leak drive could prompt prosecutions - POLITICO
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nn-russia-call
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7381fccbd0a1
Trump says Malcolm Turnbull phone call leak is 'terrible' | Daily Mail Online
The irony of Trump whining about leaks - CNN.com
The tools helping facilitate leaks from Trump
Hill GOP backs Trump on leaks investigation - POLITICO
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ed-about-leaks

...and about 2 million more stories on the same topic.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 PM

412 posts, read 386,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Keep dreaming
So some people are now even anti-dream? Well, I do consider it salvation for North America and the world. Which makes me think it can't happen. Salvation isn't around the corner.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:36 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The overall effect should be small, but perhaps significant. My understanding is that Pearson is already having some trouble with capacity so becoming a much bigger airport may be difficult. If Trudeau Airport in Montreal were clever they'd seize the opportunity. Pearson should see a benefit, but can only grow so big without major new investment or land acquisition.
The Capacity issues are mainly In peak periods. There is still room to 'distribute' slots to less peaky periods to fill in the valleys, so the airport isn't as constrained as say a LHR but it is getting there. What works in YYZ's favour is there is less NIMBYISM (even though it Is here) in terms of expansion than London. There are also opportunities in the night flight hours. Toronto still is anchored by a limited budget for night flights as mandated by Transport Canada, though I can see in the next few years bump ups occurring by the airport authority triggering these (which it can do to add more flights into the night flight hours). More and more those night slots are being filled in - particularly recently due to Asian Carriers expanding service (CSN and EVA come to mind as does AC's India service) and a yet to be named Mexican Carrier potentially coming in.

An example of moving a flight to a valley.. TAP airlines is starting up service in June. Its arrival time is 2200 local with a 2355 local time departure. These are not traditional times a Euro Carrier would want but if demand is strong enough they will take them as TAP did. Montreal and other airports can capitalize on these things for sure but the market also needs to be strong enough and Toronto isn't foolish enough to lose prime opportunities if the demand and interest is there

Another lever Pearson can use to expand capacity is hardstand bussing operations. Although it has been reluctant to use that lever In the past there is nothing stopping it from using it in the coming years. There are quite a bit of 'stands' that can be utilized for hardstand operations at Pearson. In short, by the time capacity issues really start to hurt YYZ's growth to any appreciable degree, expansion will be well underway.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-04-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Canadian flights domestically have little competition, but on all the international routes, there are at least 2-3 international competitors that fly out of Toronto for the same route, so prices are frequently sold at deep discounts (last May, I booked a last min flight out of Toronto to Stockholm Sweden for $560 CAD roundtrip all taxes included via AC and Lufthansa, cheaper than a one way economy ticket to Vancouver during the summer months).
That is an awesome deal... Underscore 560 Canadian not USD lol.. I got me a TAP return in June for 518 CAD

Not only that but you can get some sweet deals to ASIA with all the competition. Flying to Bangkok return in April on CES for 736 CAD!

Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

But this forever Toronto needs to USURP, out-maneuver, under-mine, to outright try to steal from other cities to ADVANCE Globally in its fight for recognition and esteem?

Gets old. I'm not saying the city, Province or Nation does. But many on C-D add motives to Toronto gaining as if "whatever it takes". To be that QUINTESSENTIAL Global Cosmopolitan Booming Premiere North American city. ��
Who is responsible for this Toronto need? The man? Toronto is growing because it is the most international city in a country that has among the most liberal per capita immigration policies in the world. Naturally its going to grow as a result. Sure what happened in Montreal back in the 70's helped with T.O's growth but really it was already on its way to becoming the largest city in Canada a few decades before the 70's - wheels were already in motion and the inevitable would have happened anyway... Everything else you are going on about is pretty much hyperbole and hot air tbh.. Comments such as a Toronto need to 'undermine' - 'Steal' from other cities etc seems like someone who is drinking the conspiracy theory kool aid a tad much lol.. You mistaken intent with simply result and reality.

No worries - Montreal is still a fantastic city (whose airport is also growing considerably and it still has great international connectivity). It is also far from being a has been city - lots of good things happening in Montreal of late. There are attributes Montreal has that are greater than Toronto and vice-versa. There is room in Canada to have a few great world class cities and Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver fit the bill and they can accomplish these things in similar and also dissimilar and unique ways. The fight is over dude - we can grow together... That all said, there is nothing wrong with any city or its residents showcasing accomplishments and milestones. They also need to be open to looking at inhibitors and warts too!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ship-1.3518024

Quote:

But the biggest boost to Toronto traffic may come from people simply choosing to be tourists in Canada instead of the USA because of President Trump's hostility.
Great point and these tourists are the one's that $pend the most. There are also opportunities in attracting the best and brightest to further their education and ultimately live and work here who otherwise would have went to the U.S

Last edited by fusion2; 03-04-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Air Canada unveiled new 787 livery this week in Toronto, as part of its global expansion plans:
I REALLY dig it.. Or maybe its not THAT good but I just HATE HATE HATE that turquoise livery they adopted in the early 2000's.. Anyway this Is much much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto