Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

As for COMPETITION...

Canadian engineering and architecture firm EXP to move HQ to Chicago - Chicago Tribune

EXP's move from the Toronto suburbs is expected to create 150 new jobs in Chicago.The new employees will join 230 people who already work at EXP's office in the Loop, according to the mayor's office. That space will undergo a $5 million renovation, scheduled to start in April.

"The strong talent pool that exists here will undoubtedly help our firm continue to grow and achieve success," Mark Dvorak, the company's chief operations officer, said in a written statement. "In addition, having O'Hare International Airport located at our operational hub allows for easy access to the more than 100 offices we currently have throughout North America."
Who cares?

Global IT firms are relocating to Toronto - Here's why | InvestinOntario

Last edited by fusion2; 03-04-2017 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

As for COMPETITION...

Canadian engineering and architecture firm EXP to move HQ to Chicago - Chicago Tribune

EXP's move from the Toronto suburbs is expected to create 150 new jobs in Chicago.The new employees will join 230 people who already work at EXP's office in the Loop, according to the mayor's office. That space will undergo a $5 million renovation, scheduled to start in April.

"The strong talent pool that exists here will undoubtedly help our firm continue to grow and achieve success," Mark Dvorak, the company's chief operations officer, said in a written statement. "In addition, having O'Hare International Airport located at our operational hub allows for easy access to the more than 100 offices we currently have throughout North America."
Who Cares ---->?

https://www.investinontario.com/spot...can-vc-ranking

Old 03-06-2017, 09:51 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
i really dig it.. Or maybe its not that good but i just hate hate hate that turquoise livery they adopted in the early 2000's.. Anyway this is much much better!
+1

Old 03-06-2017, 10:56 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
I wanted to share this because I think it relates. So I was really excited as I was flying booking a flight to Colombia to visit South America for the first time. This is also the first time I am booking a flight since Trump was elected and I have stated I am avoiding travelling to the USA as a result. So when booking the fight it was eye opening as to how tricky it can be to book flights from Canada to certain places in the world that don't connect or stop over in the USA. So when trying to book the flight to Colombia especailly around less then 1 month in advance it took a lot of effort finding a flight that would work. I eventually did find a direct flight without having to pay a lot more. My choices for stop overs were Miami, Texas or San Salvador ( El Slavador) with my original dates. I was seriously considering paying an extra $150 to $200 a ticket so I did not have to stop in the USA... then I move my dates and was lucky enough to find a direct flight that was only $100 more per ticket ( and less then 1/2 the travel time). So the key to doing this is trying to book well in advance.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I wanted to share this because I think it relates. So I was really excited as I was flying booking a flight to Colombia to visit South America for the first time. This is also the first time I am booking a flight since Trump was elected and I have stated I am avoiding travelling to the USA as a result. So when booking the fight it was eye opening as to how tricky it can be to book flights from Canada to certain places in the world that don't connect or stop over in the USA. So when trying to book the flight to Colombia especailly around less then 1 month in advance it took a lot of effort finding a flight that would work. I eventually did find a direct flight without having to pay a lot more. My choices for stop overs were Miami, Texas or San Salvador ( El Slavador) with my original dates. I was seriously considering paying an extra $150 to $200 a ticket so I did not have to stop in the USA... then I move my dates and was lucky enough to find a direct flight that was only $100 more per ticket ( and less then 1/2 the travel time). So the key to doing this is trying to book well in advance.
Well the key here is some places in the world. Non Stop international connectivity out of YYZ is better than any other airport in Canada and practically every airport in the U.S. That said, the U.S is a nation of 315 million people linked more closely to S.A than Canada so it stands to reason that there will be more opportunities to South America. YYZ is also strongly connected to the U.S so really there are oodles of connection opportunities out of Latin American hub cities in the U.S like Miami and Houston - which themselves have loads of frequencies to YYZ. Really you should be happy that there are choices to allow you to bypass the U.S and take a pretty extensive Latin American connectivity YYZ has.. On top of Air Canada's direct flights to a number of cities in S.A including Bogota - you also have Aeromexico, Avianca and Copa to choose from to get you to Latin America. That isn't anything to shake a stick at. Aeromexico is ramping up to 2X daily out of YYZ so that means 14 weekly flights to Mexico City and possibly another Mexican Carrier is coming in so things are pretty good.

Look at it this way too - did you know YYZ is the 4th busiest International gateway airport into the U.S.. Think about it.. A Canadian city airport welcomes more people as the N.A gateway city into the U.S than every other U.S airport save for just 3.. Imagine if many of these people banned YYZ simply due to differences with our Political leaders?

So may I ask why you want to avoid flying to the U.S because of Trump? As much as I'm not a fan of his - AT ALL lol - I must say that economic retaliation isn't the way to go! Canada has always had a pretty admirable policy of engagement, even with those whose political leaders we don't agree with. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to not connect in the U.S. That said, if I can get a direct flight somewhere and the price is competitive i'll take it. If I do have to connect I usually look at it in terms of cost and convenience. If I can get to my final destination in less time connecting through city A over City B and the price isn't that much different than i'll take the shorter travel time so I can enjoy more time in my final destination.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-06-2017 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 PM

412 posts, read 385,899 times
Quote:
Who is responsible for this Toronto need, the man?
Precisely. The Man.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:22 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Well the key here is some places in the world. Non Stop international connectivity out of YYZ is better than any other airport in Canada and practically every airport in the U.S. That said, the U.S is a nation of 315 million people linked more closely to S.A than Canada so it stands to reason that there will be more opportunities to South America. YYZ is also strongly connected to the U.S so really there are oodles of connection opportunities out of Latin American hub cities in the U.S like Miami and Houston - which themselves have loads of frequencies to YYZ. Really you should be happy that there are choices to allow you to bypass the U.S and take a pretty extensive Latin American connectivity YYZ has.. On top of Air Canada's direct flights to a number of cities in S.A including Bogota - you also have Aeromexico, Avianca and Copa to choose from to get you to Latin America. That isn't anything to shake a stick at. Aeromexico is ramping up to 2X daily out of YYZ so that means 14 weekly flights to Mexico City and possibly another Mexican Carrier is coming in so things are pretty good.

Look at it this way too - did you know YYZ is the 4th busiest International gateway airport into the U.S.. Think about it.. A Canadian city airport welcomes more people as the N.A gateway city into the U.S than every other U.S airport save for just 3.. Imagine if many of these people banned YYZ simply due to differences with our Political leaders?

So may I ask why you want to avoid flying to the U.S because of Trump? As much as I'm not a fan of his - AT ALL lol - I must say that economic retaliation isn't the way to go! Canada has always had a pretty admirable policy of engagement, even with those whose political leaders we don't agree with. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to not connect in the U.S. That said, if I can get a direct flight somewhere and the price is competitive i'll take it. If I do have to connect I usually look at it in terms of cost and convenience. If I can get to my final destination in less time connecting through city A over City B and the price isn't that much different than i'll take the shorter travel time so I can enjoy more time in my final destination.
I did end getting a direct flight from Toronto... but it booking this flight made me realize that some people may just not have the option of avoiding travel to the USA to get to their final destination. I was willing to pay a bit more to avoid the headache. I think out situations are a bit different regarding travel. I think my family does have a much higher risk for being stopped by USA customs and harassed. I am not willing to put my family through that humiliating experience and disrupt my trip.

I wait out the 4 years unless there is an emergency. I have family in the USA in various place and while G W Bush was in power I also refused to go to the USA. We only starting going back while Obama president. During the Bush time serious remember getting told off by people because they thought I was American. I got lectured over and over gain ... it was so crazy. It happened in France, Turkey, Greece, Italy, England and in Morocco. I had an Italian house mate in London give his long lecture on how bad American culture is despite continually reminding that I am Canadian. His response it was the same thing . Though he had never been to Canada . In Turkey I had this guy give me the same rant. In Morocco ... a few people thought Canada was part of USA lol.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I did end getting a direct flight from Toronto... but it booking this flight made me realize that some people may just not have the option of avoiding travel to the USA to get to their final destination. I was willing to pay a bit more to avoid the headache. I think out situations are a bit different regarding travel. I think my family does have a much higher risk for being stopped by USA customs and harassed. I am not willing to put my family through that humiliating experience and disrupt my trip.

I wait out the 4 years unless there is an emergency. I have family in the USA in various place and while G W Bush was in power I also refused to go to the USA. We only starting going back while Obama president. During the Bush time serious remember getting told off by people because they thought I was American. I got lectured over and over gain ... it was so crazy. It happened in France, Turkey, Greece, Italy, England and in Morocco. I had an Italian house mate in London give his long lecture on how bad American culture is despite continually reminding that I am Canadian. His response it was the same thing . Though he had never been to Canada . In Turkey I had this guy give me the same rant. In Morocco ... a few people thought Canada was part of USA lol.
The good thing is you were able to get a direct flight. My partner is in Venezuela right now and flew on Copa (he's getting a nose job) because it was the cheapest fare. Trip before that the cheapest was on United so he flew with them. So sometimes the cheapest option bypasses the U.S out of YYZ sometimes it doesn't. Same with Americans travelling abroad whereby sometimes the cheapest flight has them connecting in YYZ.

He hasn't had a hard time with U.S Customs even with a Ven Passport/U.S Visa and his CAD P.R but if people have had a hard time I can understand wanting to steer clear if that is a fear. Travelling should be enjoyable for the most part not stressful.

I've had some bad experiences with US Customs myself mind you. One time the agent was very curious why I went to Sri Lanka. I told him I work at the airport and love to travel its in my blood but he still was like but why did you go to Sri Lanka.. I guess he thought I was linked to the Tamil Tigers or something I don't know. Another time I was questioned by secondary inspection because of you guessed it - Morocco stamps in my passport. Like Morocco is a major tourist destination and also a moderate Muslim nation that happens to be an ally of the U.S and Canada yet he was VERY suspicious of my motives for travelling there.

I don't know if I told you this but in Morocco the locals always think i'm British.. The hawkers and sellers always speak in a British accent which is pretty hilarious.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 PM

btw can anyone tell me where Toroto International airport is and what the IATA airport code is

Old 03-07-2017, 03:40 PM

Default ..........

Quote:
The good thing is you were able to get a direct flight. My partner is in Venezuela right now and flew on Copa (he's getting a nose job) because it was the cheapest fare. Trip before that the cheapest was on United so he flew with them. So sometimes the cheapest option bypasses the U.S out of YYZ sometimes it doesn't. Same with Americans travelling abroad whereby sometimes the cheapest flight has them connecting in YYZ.

He hasn't had a hard time with U.S Customs even with a Ven Passport/U.S Visa and his CAD P.R but if people have had a hard time I can understand wanting to steer clear if that is a fear. Travelling should be enjoyable for the most part not stressful.

I've had some bad experiences with US Customs myself mind you. One time the agent was very curious why I went to Sri Lanka. I told him I work at the airport and love to travel its in my blood but he still was like but why did you go to Sri Lanka.. I guess he thought I was linked to the Tamil Tigers or something I don't know. Another time I was questioned by secondary inspection because of you guessed it - Morocco stamps in my passport. Like Morocco is a major tourist destination and also a moderate Muslim nation that happens to be an ally of the U.S and Canada yet he was VERY suspicious of my motives for travelling there.

I don't know if I told you this but in Morocco the locals always think i'm British.. The hawkers and sellers always speak in a British accent which is pretty hilarious.
How much cheaper is a nose job there? I was looking in to the cost here and it eas around $10 000 to $20 000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto