Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
His executive order was found "illegal" by a rather controversial judge (on the other hand another judge from Boston found the order legal). An appeal process is under way... Your darling Obama made a similar EO several years ago, but you probably was not aware about it.

The hatred of Trump by radical left is absolutely illogical. Some LBGT protest against him, while at the same time embracing radical Islam. Radical Islam that want to kill them and kills them. I never imagined there were so many Canadians hating USA. Probably, an inferiority complex went too far.
Canada's gain at US' expense due to Trump's order.

Toronto International and Air Canada will get all transit flights from Europe to the Caribbean as travelers won't want to deal with US Customs for transit flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM

295 posts, read 263,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Canada's gain at US' expense due to Trump's order.

Toronto International and Air Canada will get all transit flights from Europe to the Caribbean as travelers won't want to deal with US Customs for transit flights.
Do you think there are many travellers from Europe to Caribbean affected by Trump's EO? I bet too little to have a real impact. I do agree that clearing immigration while in transit is not convenient. However, all western european countries have visa free agreement for their passport holders, so they don't need to apply for US visa. Also bear in mind that the prices via US are generally much lower than via Canada (due to fierce competition between the airlines there). People can save 200$ - 300$ for a single ticket and much more for a family. And on top of that there are many direct flights (both regular and charter) from Europe to Mexico, Caribbean Islands and other places in Latin America.

If Canada wants to attract more transit customers, its airline and airport industry should be way more competetive. Toronto Pearson has one of the highest airport fees in the world. Not the best way to attract more air traffic.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Do you think there are many travellers from Europe to Caribbean affected by Trump's EO? I bet too little to have a real impact. I do agree that clearing immigration while in transit is not convenient. However, all western european countries have visa free agreement for their passport holders, so they don't need to apply for US visa. Also bear in mind that the prices via US are generally much lower than via Canada (due to fierce competition between the airlines there). People can save 200$ - 300$ for a single ticket and much more for a family. And on top of that there are many direct flights (both regular and charter) from Europe to Mexico, Caribbean Islands and other places in Latin America.

If Canada wants to attract more transit customers, its airline and airport industry should be way more competetive. Toronto Pearson has one of the highest airport fees in the world. Not the best way to attract more air traffic.
Not entirely the case. Air Canada actually has very competitive prices going to Asia and Europe via Toronto Pearson - sometimes their European roundtrip flights are more cheap than domestic flights between Toronto and Vancouver. They are deeply discounted precisely for the reason of attracting international transit passengers. Air Canada has more than 7 flights per day to Frankfurt from Toronto, and even more to London Heathrow - there's clearly a huge European passenger base for transit via Toronto.

Canadian flights domestically have little competition, but on all the international routes, there are at least 2-3 international competitors that fly out of Toronto for the same route, so prices are frequently sold at deep discounts (last May, I booked a last min flight out of Toronto to Stockholm Sweden for $560 CAD roundtrip all taxes included via AC and Lufthansa, cheaper than a one way economy ticket to Vancouver during the summer months).

Also keep in mind the steeply discounted CAD/USD exchange rate - now's a very favorable time to transit via Toronto and fly with a Canadian airline.

Lastly, most Europeans have visa waiver to enter the US. However, that does not exempt transit passengers from border control or filling out ESTA - every visa waiver passenger still has to complete an online electronic travel authorization application everytime they enter U.S. soil. It's not a big hurdle but is still a burdensome process when traveling to the U.S.

Also, next time try transiting through CBP at JFK, Atlanta, Chicago... 1 hour minimum wait time unless you have Global Entry fast pass. Imagine how that feels like to passengers after a 12 hour flight in a tiny economy seat. Toronto Pearson has recently implemented an expedited border control process that shrinks down border control to a matter of minutes if not less.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:00 AM

Latest news, not sure if this is pure coincidence or purposely timed with recent current events...

CBC News: Toronto Pearson International Airport Unveils Design for New Transit Hub, Massive Expansion of Express Train, LRT, and BRT Access

"The transit hub would become an inter-modal station connecting up to 5 train lines and 1 High Speed Rail Line — including the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, Mississauga Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), Finch West LRT, Regional Express Rail — as well as the UP Express Tand a high-speed rail line to Kitchener."

Old 02-09-2017, 03:12 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
This was in the works for a while but more palatable to Canadians now to want to do this...

Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 PM

412 posts, read 385,674 times
My thought: Since Trump spared NO effort in insulting the whole world (except his BFF, Putin), maybe some people won't land in US airports because it disgusts them that our political system empowered one of modern times' biggest jerks ever. If I were Scandinavian or any other nationality that actually thinks democracy is a virtue, I sure wouldn't want to endorse the USA.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:43 PM

295 posts, read 263,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
My thought: Since Trump spared NO effort in insulting the whole world (except his BFF, Putin), maybe some people won't land in US airports because it disgusts them that our political system empowered one of modern times' biggest jerks ever. If I were Scandinavian or any other nationality that actually thinks democracy is a virtue, I sure wouldn't want to endorse the USA.
Democracy does not mean "open borders", "globalism", and "multiculturalism".

Old 02-15-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Democracy does not mean "open borders", "globalism", and "multiculturalism".
In the modern sense of the word, yes it does.

Right before the 1944 Normandy landings, President FDR said it best:

"We are all of us children of earth—grant us that simple knowledge. If our brothers are oppressed, then we are oppressed. If they hunger, we hunger. If their freedom is taken away, our freedom is not secure...not only in our own lands, but throughout the world."

Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
That being said Air Canada is using this strategy as a business model of sorts as of lately since foreigners flying into Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver for a quick layover and then flying to a destination outside of the US/Canada are not forced to clear customs/immigration unlike in the US (even those who are just in transit).
Actually it's Federal law that doesn't allow sterile transit like in Europe and Asia. I was flying to the EU to catch a cruise a few years ago and was surprised that everybody didn't have to go through immigration and customs at Heathrow. I only encountered immigration and customs in Venice.

Due to an incident when I left Venice, I missed my connection in London and had to stay overnight (at the airline's expense). I went through U.K. immigration and customs (unexpectedly) and went back to Houston the next morning.

Quote:
The hatred of Trump by radical left is absolutely illogical. Some LBGT protest against him, while at the same time embracing radical Islam. Radical Islam that want to kill them and kills them. I never imagined there were so many Canadians hating USA. Probably, an inferiority complex went too far.
Where do you get this information? More fake news. It's more of the "Christian" GOP cracking down on people who don't look, think, or act like them. I have a front row seat to all the theatrics here in the American South. Everyone is seeing through the lies and distortions the alt-reality crowd has pumped out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
If Trudeau Airport in Montreal were clever they'd seize the opportunity. Pearson should see a benefit, but can only grow so big without major new investment or land acquisition.
If they were clever, Mirabel would be built out to seize the opportunity. The synergy between Pearson and Mirabel would cement Eastern Canada as a North American mega hub to Europe, Africa, and the Middle East over the East Coast.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:59 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
I think it is simply if a Toronto airport can offer CONCIDERABLY Cheaper landings that are cheaper enough then to connect into a ACTUAL destination? Say Boston, NYC, Detroit or Chicago or merely any US destination? Then it could pull a coup. If one could TRULY save money. Along with airlines. (seems like it's a Air Canada first especially LOL) and its cheaper to then to even rent a car and drive the rest of their way to NYC? (but you really don't want a car there) Or merely a connecting flight of course. Who knows?

It is not merely NYC, Baltimore/DC Atlanta and Chicago as major hubs to steal from. Atlanta built a new airport to steal some from Chicago. It also was cheaper to use. But Chicago is finally expanding O'hare and Dallas/Ft Worth is expanding to gain Purhaps too?

But this forever Toronto needs to USURP, out-maneuver, under-mine, to outright try to steal from other cities to ADVANCE Globally in its fight for recognition and esteem?

Gets old. I'm not saying the city, Province or Nation does. But many on C-D add motives to Toronto gaining as if "whatever it takes". To be that QUINTESSENTIAL Global Cosmopolitan Booming Premiere North American city. 👌
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto