Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,933,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
How much cheaper is a nose job there? I was looking in to the cost here and it eas around $10 000 to $20 000.
I'll PM you.. Needless to say WAY cheaper than that lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 12:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,757,095 times
Quote:
I did end getting a direct flight from Toronto... but it booking this flight made me realize that some people may just not have the option of avoiding travel to the USA to get to their final destination. I was willing to pay a bit more to avoid the headache. I think out situations are a bit different regarding travel. I think my family does have a much higher risk for being stopped by USA customs and harassed. I am not willing to put my family through that humiliating experience and disrupt my trip.

I wait out the 4 years unless there is an emergency. I have family in the USA in various place and while G W Bush was in power I also refused to go to the USA. We only starting going back while Obama president. During the Bush time serious remember getting told off by people because they thought I was American. I got lectured over and over gain ... it was so crazy. It happened in France, Turkey, Greece, Italy, England and in Morocco. I had an Italian house mate in London give his long lecture on how bad American culture is despite continually reminding that I am Canadian. His response it was the same thing . Though he had never been to Canada . In Turkey I had this guy give me the same rant. In Morocco ... a few people thought Canada was part of USA lol.
I visited S America twice and neither involved a stop in the US, once to Santiago and once via Panama City (a long stop over for a half day trip, intentionally). I am of course willing to pay for not stopping in the US not because of Trump, but because it makes sense to avoid trouble. Often flights to China are cheaper with a US stop too but it's just not worth it. Different from other transit airports such as Istanbul, you need to go through border clearance and recheck in luggage if I am not mistaken. I would gladly pay $200 more to avoid that. I don't enter the US unless it us the final destination.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 AM

3,879 posts, read 5,308,795 times
Quote:
I wanted to share this because I think it relates. So I was really excited as I was flying booking a flight to Colombia to visit South America for the first time. This is also the first time I am booking a flight since Trump was elected and I have stated I am avoiding travelling to the USA as a result. So when booking the fight it was eye opening as to how tricky it can be to book flights from Canada to certain places in the world that don't connect or stop over in the USA. So when trying to book the flight to Colombia especailly around less then 1 month in advance it took a lot of effort finding a flight that would work. I eventually did find a direct flight without having to pay a lot more. My choices for stop overs were Miami, Texas or San Salvador ( El Slavador) with my original dates. I was seriously considering paying an extra $150 to $200 a ticket so I did not have to stop in the USA... then I move my dates and was lucky enough to find a direct flight that was only $100 more per ticket ( and less then 1/2 the travel time). So the key to doing this is trying to book well in advance.
So let me get this straight. You are avoiding the US because of Trump, but are visiting Colombia which is led by Juan Manuel Santos? The same Santos that oversaw the "False Positives" initiative and slaughter of loads of innocent civilians during his time as defense minister? Forgive me for laughing at the hypocrisy.

I am not saying don't visit Colombia. It's a gorgeous country (Bogotá is one of the most underrated cities anywhere) but if travel is linked to elected office then man you sure have an interesting standard.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The good thing is you were able to get a direct flight. My partner is in Venezuela right now and flew on Copa (he's getting a nose job) because it was the cheapest fare. Trip before that the cheapest was on United so he flew with them. So sometimes the cheapest option bypasses the U.S out of YYZ sometimes it doesn't. Same with Americans travelling abroad whereby sometimes the cheapest flight has them connecting in YYZ.

He hasn't had a hard time with U.S Customs even with a Ven Passport/U.S Visa and his CAD P.R but if people have had a hard time I can understand wanting to steer clear if that is a fear. Travelling should be enjoyable for the most part not stressful.

I've had some bad experiences with US Customs myself mind you. One time the agent was very curious why I went to Sri Lanka. I told him I work at the airport and love to travel its in my blood but he still was like but why did you go to Sri Lanka.. I guess he thought I was linked to the Tamil Tigers or something I don't know. Another time I was questioned by secondary inspection because of you guessed it - Morocco stamps in my passport. Like Morocco is a major tourist destination and also a moderate Muslim nation that happens to be an ally of the U.S and Canada yet he was VERY suspicious of my motives for travelling there.

I don't know if I told you this but in Morocco the locals always think i'm British.. The hawkers and sellers always speak in a British accent which is pretty hilarious.
I flew in and out of the US for the first time since Trumps executive order the other day and thankfully had no issues. Which is surprising considering my passport is littered with stamps and visa's from numerous Middle East countries due to my line of work. Pretty easy process at Logan using the Global Entry line/kiosk. Hopefully that holds up.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
So let me get this straight. You are avoiding the US because of Trump, but are visiting Colombia which is led by Juan Manuel Santos? The same Santos that oversaw the "False Positives" initiative and slaughter of loads of innocent civilians during his time as defense minister? Forgive me for laughing at the hypocrisy.

I am not saying don't visit Colombia. It's a gorgeous country (Bogotá is one of the most underrated cities anywhere) but if travel is linked to elected office then man you sure have an interesting standard.
LOL.

This is apparently the logic which many westerners adopt. It is more about "feeling good about myself" in my first world bubble than anything else.

Quote:
I flew in and out of the US for the first time since Trumps executive order the other day and thankfully had no issues. Which is surprising considering my passport is littered with stamps and visa's from numerous Middle East countries due to my line of work. Pretty easy process at Logan using the Global Entry line/kiosk. Hopefully that holds up.
We all know neither the media nor those people don't care such "trivial and uninteresting" facts.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I visited S America twice and neither involved a stop in the US, once to Santiago and once via Panama City (a long stop over for a half day trip, intentionally). I am of course willing to pay for not stopping in the US not because of Trump, but because it makes sense to avoid trouble. Often flights to China are cheaper with a US stop too but it's just not worth it. Different from other transit airports such as Istanbul, you need to go through border clearance and recheck in luggage if I am not mistaken. I would gladly pay $200 more to avoid that. I don't enter the US unless it us the final destination.
I just checked on expedia return flights to Shanghai out of YYZ in June leave 05 return 17 and the cheapest fare was 779 CAD through the U.S (Baggage fees apply for all checked baggage!) YYZ-LGA-DTW-PVG-SHA(not even Shanghai but leave Hongqiao wtf??)PEK-DTW-YYZ.... That insane. For 821 CAD you can fly Air Canada non-stop return no fees for 1st and 2nd checked baggage.... So let's see for 42 Dollars more you can fly non-stop both ways with no checked baggage fees for 2 checked bags.. This is a no brainer. Sometimes searching for the cheapest flight isn't the way to go plus once you factor in baggage fees, longer flying time Border control, security screening at multiple airports on the flights with multiple legs you end up paying more. Hey atleast you get to tour multiple airports in both the U.S and China lol..

I'm actually flying CES first time next month YYZ-PVG-BKK-PVG-YYZ.. How is China Eastern?

Last edited by fusion2; 03-08-2017 at 03:27 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Hey ED!!

It is really hit and miss with US Customs I find. Sometimes I have problems but more often I don't. It really depends on the Agent! Some just quickly leaf through the passport, swipe it no problems. Others once they see the passport loaded with stamps start to scrutinize more and ask questions. It may be just oh where did you go and why but some really get curious and grill me. In any event it is their job/perogative. I always answer truthfully and directly with short to the point answers and don't have problems. I NEVER give them a hard time (stupid!) and never rude but I don't let them phase me either. I find airport agents generally speaking easier than the land border one's - they can be really tricky especially at the Detroit border - uggh.

All said I wouldn't avoid the U.S if the price/routing is right, though I haven't been through USCBP in Trumps America. I suspect using the approach above I would continue to have no real problems. If I can avoid just the hassle and take as direct a route as possible though, I will do that. I also find connecting in practically any Euro airport a breeze. Its rare they ask squat. Its literally a 20 second transaction with them.

As for what you said about Santos.. I personally don't ban going to any country because of politics/policies of a country. Ultimately there is politics and then there are people.. People are way more interesting than politics. I had this discussion on the Canada forum with someone and my message was, what you think about a country based on the political situation and what you think you know about it based on what you hear about in the media and how it really is are two very different things.. In any country I've been, a smile goes a looooong way and generally, people are pretty friendly and curious the world over.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-08-2017 at 04:40 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I just checked on expedia return flights to Shanghai out of YYZ in June leave 05 return 17 and the cheapest fare was 779 CAD through the U.S (Baggage fees apply for all checked baggage!) YYZ-LGA-DTW-PVG-SHA(not even Shanghai but leave Hongqiao wtf??)PEK-DTW-YYZ.... That insane. For 821 CAD you can fly Air Canada non-stop return no fees for 1st and 2nd checked baggage.... So let's see for 42 Dollars more you can fly non-stop both ways with no checked baggage fees for 2 checked bags.. This is a no brainer. Sometimes searching for the cheapest flight isn't the way to go plus once you factor in baggage fees, longer flying time Border control, security screening at multiple airports on the flights with multiple legs you end up paying more. Hey atleast you get to tour multiple airports in both the U.S and China lol..

I'm actually flying CES first time next month YYZ-PVG-BKK-PVG-YYZ.. How is China Eastern?
that's usually my epxerience as well. The savings is usually $100 or less, but often involving bad flight time, long overlay, and baggage fees. I wouldn't do it even it were $300 savings. Just not worth it, plus the risk of more delays. The YYZ-PVG fare is usually reasonbly priced (except during the peak summer months, and particularly in the opposite direction PVG <=> YYZ), so going through the US is really unnecessary.

Interestingly, Air Canada often offers deep discount to NYC-Toronto-Shanghai flight, sometimes $400 cheaper than a direct Toronto/Shanghai flight to compete with American airlines. In general, Air Canada pricing is good, unless of course, you are one of those who regularly have to fly between Canadians cities, then you are screwed big time. Domestic flights are probably the main source of profit for AC. I recently flew 1.5 hours within the EU for 24 euros. I plan to fly from Lyon to London round trip for 41 Euros this June. Imagine doing that in Canada. The fuel surcharges are usually $80+. The cheapest domestic flight I ever took in Canada was $93 one way to Quebec City, and that was westjet.

China Eastern is quite good in terms of service because they care a lot about international flights. But they are at the same price range as Air Canada, if not a bit higher. I usually stick with Air Canada. If it is significantly cheap, fly with it by all means.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Hey ED!!

It is really hit and miss with US Customs I find. Sometimes I have problems but more often I don't. It really depends on the Agent! Some just quickly leaf through the passport, swipe it no problems. Others once they see the passport loaded with stamps start to scrutinize more and ask questions. It may be just oh where did you go and why but some really get curious and grill me. In any event it is their job/perogative. I always answer truthfully and directly with short to the point answers and don't have problems. I NEVER give them a hard time (stupid!) and never rude but I don't let them phase me either. I find airport agents generally speaking easier than the land border one's - they can be really tricky especially at the Detroit border - uggh.

All said I wouldn't avoid the U.S if the price/routing is right, though I haven't been through USCBP in Trumps America. I suspect using the approach above I would continue to have no real problems. If I can avoid just the hassle and take as direct a route as possible though, I will do that. I also find connecting in practically any Euro airport a breeze. Its rare they ask squat. Its literally a 20 second transaction with them.

As for what you said about Santos.. I personally don't ban going to any country because of politics/policies of a country. Ultimately there is politics and then there are people.. People are way more interesting than politics. I had this discussion on the Canada forum with someone and my message was, what you think about a country based on the political situation and what you think you know about it based on what you hear about in the media and how it really is are two very different things.. In any country I've been, a smile goes a looooong way and generally, people are pretty friendly and curious the world over.
Hey Bud!

I totally was not questioning any hassles you have faced with US customs. I have traveled enough to have my own interesting stories and been asked some interesting questions. I just know that I have those stories for Customs in basically every country I have travelled to extensively. A mix of good and bad like everywhere else.

I agree with yourself and Botti that flying direct is my preferred route of travel. It's the reason why I will always choose to live in a city with an excellent roster of direct flights and airlines. Especially considering my leisure travel is with a little one as well and flying direct keeps the peace with her no matter how long the flight is.

Re: Politics and people. Well said! We travel to gain experiences and meet people not to participate in the political system or as a form of protest. The more you travel the more you realize that elected officials hardly are represetative of the people they represent. They serve their own interests for the most part and regular civilians find a way to push on and live life despite this.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:10 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
Quote:

I witnessed a similar discussion on another forum where someone was spouting off about boycotting the U.S. for similar reasons and instead was going to... Cuba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto