Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2018, 02:10 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You smoke?
Yes, why the insistence on a balcony. Stay in one of these glass towers, where you can't smoke, and I won't smoke in my room anyway, and you have to take the elevator down to the lobby, go outside, and then go 20-30-40 feet away from the lobby. And they call these luxury hotels??????

And I'm also claustrophobic. If I'm in a hotel room and I can't so much as open a window a crack, I go bonkers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 05:45 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Yeah, I'm completely unmoved by beaches, I spent the better part of a week at one of the world's most famous beach destinations & never went on one except for a few minutes walk one day. I spent my time at the pubs, bars, restaurants & music venues & just strolling around the towns.
Same. Almost all my beach time at beach locations fits into two windows:

1. Morning walk when sun is just coming out and hardly anyone is about

2. Evening hanging out when sun is going down, preferably with a cold beer in my hand

We've got friends/family who gear up every morning to spend a long day at the beach, heck with that man I'd much rather be hiking or hanging out in town.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I will not stay in any hotel/motel without a balcony. Offer me a free room in a glassy 5 star hotel with hermetically sealed windows and I'll turn it down!
Would it not be an idea to try and get some help to conquer this fear.

As most modes of transport have sealed windows and are often crowded, whilst hotels have lifts/elevators and there are lots of tourist attrractions you won't be able to visit.

It really sounds quite debilitating and clearly adversely effects your life.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:23 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Yeah, I'm completely unmoved by beaches, I spent the better part of a week at one of the world's most famous beach destinations & never went on one except for a few minutes walk one day. I spent my time at the pubs, bars, restaurants & music venues & just strolling around the towns.

I would consider a long weekend in the Caribbean in February however just for the break from blizzards but not much more unless it was a really interesting island like Cuba or Grenada.
While I agree that too much beach time is bad, going to pubs, bars, restaurants and music venues is even worse in my mind. I can drink at home for much cheaper.

I will agree that Cuba us about the only place in the Caribbean I have much interest in. That region has little appeal to me. I had family visit Jamaica and the pictures in video they took made me yawn. They barely left the beach.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:33 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Would it not be an idea to try and get some help to conquer this fear.

As most modes of transport have sealed windows and are often crowded, whilst hotels have lifts/elevators and there are lots of tourist attrractions you won't be able to visit.

It really sounds quite debilitating and clearly adversely effects your life.
Even if I didn't smoke, I'd still insist on a balcony or windows that I can open and shut, for fresh air. And let's not get into my fear of being in a fire.

I got spoiled with my 12 trips to Central and South America, as balconies are more prevalent and many hotels, even 2-3 star establishments, have rooftop decks.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:02 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Travel is overrated. People are just fooled by travel industry marketing people.
Because living under a rock and not exploring makes life so much more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
—the big cliched tourist cities (Paris, London, Rome, New York) should always be avoided in favor of little obscure towns.
Even the cliched spots are worth visiting at least once in a lifetime. Fortunately I can say I have visited all the locations in your example. I would still like to visit the pyramids in Giza and a few other "cliched" spots.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Even the cliched spots are worth visiting at least once in a lifetime. Fortunately I can say I have visited all the locations in your example. I would still like to visit the pyramids in Giza and a few other "cliched" spots.
Of course they’re worth visiting. There’s a reason why places like Paris and London are so popular — they’re great. Have been to all of them myself. It’s like cliched sayings, which are often true.

I thought I was saying that’s an unpopular idea I don’t agree with, but maybe I wasn’t clear on that. There are people who think it’s far better to go to an unknown little hamlet than a big city with lots to do. Not buying that one.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Airlines did us a favor by charging for checked baggage. Travelers were overpacking and this largely cured this.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,255 times
If a place isn't worth a second visit, it's not worth visiting at all.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
If a place isn't worth a second visit, it's not worth visiting at all.
But how would you know if you have not visited yourself?
Feedback from others could be a total opposite experience for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel