Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times

Advertisements

Oahu is the best Hawaiin Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
This thread is awesome. A few more unpopular opinions of mine:

-Oahu is the best Hawaiian island to visit.

-Florida is one of the ugliest and least appealing U.S. states to visit.

-Austin is overrated and San Antonio is underrated.
You are spot on with Florida, but out if your mind regarding Oahu and Austin. San Antonio is underrated, but still not a must see location.

Another one of my own.

RVs are stupid.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:13 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Italy turned itself as a whole country into a humongous tourist trap.
Certainly, if you go to tourist trap destinations. Florence and Venice are awful in that regard and Rome can be. Some of it is seasonal. The smaller cities and towns are not too bad — I’m thinking Umbria and Piemonte regions. Find a spot and stay long enough to get to know the place. I may never go back to Milan.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:45 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I hate cruises.

They are like being on house arrest in an urban Marriott with small rooms and expensive drinks.
I enjoyed going on a cruise with my parents and sister when I was 12. It was a small ship which sailed under the Italian flag. I loved it!

I don't care for the standard offerings these days.

I used to want to go on one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windja...refoot_Cruises

They also had much small yachts.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Here's another one not interested in ocean cruises.

I don't like any major city for vacation either. Give me a campsite off by itself somewhere, hopefully on the edge of a mountain stream.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:13 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
For museums I think military museums are the most interesting. They are usually cheap and have lots of cool stuff to look at that I otherwise wouldn't see. Eastern Europe is a great area for this since they always have a ****-ton of older Soviet stuff that they couldn't afford to keep in play so have in military museums. Bulgaria, Romania, etc. great for it all kinds of giant missiles and tanks sitting in the yard to clamber about on.
I'm planning a trip to Russia and plan to visit The Kubinka Tank Museum near Moscow. It has many unique and one-of-a-kind military vehicles, such as the Nazi German Panzer VIII Maus super-heavy tank(largest tank ever built), ISU-152 self-propelled gun, Troyanov's Object 279 Kotin heavy tank and a Karl-Gerät heavy self-propelled gun (fired 24", 4,780 lb shell!), and many other single or limited-production prototypes from the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 AM

74 posts, read 50,880 times
Hi,
Travelling through train more than a day makes your trip so boring.
Thanks.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:49 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
I hate cruises.

They are like being on house arrest in an urban Marriott with small rooms and expensive drinks.
I've taken a few small-ship cruises (the Uncruise line, under 100 passengers, focused on nature) and LOVED them but I absolutely agree with your assessment of the mega-ship cruises.

I fly only Business Class on long hauls. That means Australia is off my bucket list- the airfares are extortion. I just got back from Edinburgh and Paris and airfare was over half the cost of the trip but it was worth it.

Finally- I VASTLY prefer traveling on my own to guided tours. I chose a small-group tour for India and Nepal because I'd been to India a lot on business and knew it wasn't a good place for a single woman to be bopping around alone. It was a wonderful trip but I didn't like that much structure. When I tell people I went to places like Scotland or Iceland on my own they react as if I'd gone on a solo kayak trip down the Amazon.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 AM

988 posts, read 1,018,194 times
Quote:
You are spot on with Florida, but out if your mind regarding Oahu and Austin. San Antonio is underrated, but still not a must see location.

Another one of my own.

RVs are stupid.

I am with you 100% on RV's and Florida. The reason that I like Oahu is because of the mix of cultural and historical attractions in conjunction with natural beauty. Oahu is certainly not the most beautiful of the islands, but if you look well beyond Waikiki there is an awful lot to see and do there (and it's very pretty overall).

I meant that Austin is overrated as a travel destination, not as a city generally. If I were moving to TX I'd certainly move to Austin, and I like it overall. I just don't think it has a heck of a lot to do there in terms of major tourist attractions, while San Antonio has the terrific River Walk, Alamo and the Spanish mission trail, and San Antonio has a strong Mexican/Spanish vibe so it's a more culturally interesting destination to me.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
200 posts and no one has yet to mention DISNEY! I absolutely hate it. I cant figure out why adults will return there year after year. (I dislike ESPN too, but that's another topic)

Likewise, Las Vegas. Buildings and fake experiences that the visitors lost money has built. Total lunacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel