Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 05:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,709,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I can't stand Manhattan! In NYC I'll take Brooklyn or Queens any time.
Brooklyn and Queens are almost as bad. I’ll stay on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:37 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I like to take adequate clothing for at least 10 days without needing to wash in a sink. I can wear jeans/ pant for 4-5 days at a time but need fresh undergarments and a clean short / T-shirt every day.
Totally. The other issue is that we do not stay all that clean on our trips - we usually take hikes that can get pretty rugged. On our last Ireland trip, there were a lot of muddy days in the country. One day we went horseback riding and were soaked completely through. After the Cliffs of Moher, we were completely spattered with mud. We ended up having to do laundry even with all the clothes we brought, and it was a pain!

Old 07-26-2018, 06:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
We ended up having to do laundry even with all the clothes we brought, and it was a pain!
If it's going to be an active trip that's more than a week, I'll make plans to have access to a proper washer and dryer at the midway point preferably in the hotel itself.

Probably not unpopular- I love extended stay/'aparthotels' and do my best to book them when we're going to be some place for more than three nights. Love the extra space and kitchenette options for when we want to eat takeaway with real plates and non-plastic cutlery. And they also typically have a laundry room on each floor. (I also refuse to see virtue in doing laundry in the sink)

Old 07-26-2018, 06:28 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
I hate Mexico. The resorts are nice, but right outside the resort it's dirty and nasty and stinky and you can't go anywhere without locals harassing you.

I hate Las Vegas. Expensive, cheesy and fake.

I have no desire to ever go to either of those places again.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:53 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Eastern Europe is an amazing place to visit.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:19 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,190 times
The Lourve has no air conditioning and can get very hot in the summer.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:08 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
Brooklyn and Queens are almost as bad. I’ll stay on Long Island.
Long Island is almost as bad as Brooklyn and Queens. I'll stay in New Jersey. At least we can evacuate.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I hate Mexico. The resorts are nice, but right outside the resort it's dirty and nasty and stinky and you can't go anywhere without locals harassing you.
FYI = there are plenty of nice places in Mexico that aren't dirty, stinky, nasty, or full of constant harrassment.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:03 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,647 times
The first one that comes to mind is "I like to go places in the offseason", and definitely NOT during spring break or any holiday period.

If you love to see crowds, pay twice as much for anything and wait in endless lines to do most anything....then by all means, travel during the peak times when everyone else does, but you won't see me :-)

Just a few hours ago, after being on a nice motorcycle ride, my wife and I stopped for afternoon coffee at a place just a few miles from our house. Next door is a pretty popular locally owned burger joint (not a chain), it's a beautiful day and the line is literally across the entire parking lot right up to the coffee house we stopped at. We grabbed our coffee in two minutes (no line)and a table outside to enjoy the sunshine. I commented to my wife, when I see lines that long for most anything, I'm never sure whether I should think that all these people have wonderful patience, which is a good thing typically, or how stupid can all these people be to spend a hour or more on a beautiful day standing in a parking lot....lol.

To each their own, but that isn't something I'm likely to do.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:19 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,856,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
The first one that comes to mind is "I like to go places in the offseason", and definitely NOT during spring break or any holiday period.

If you love to see crowds, pay twice as much for anything and wait in endless lines to do most anything....then by all means, travel during the peak times when everyone else does, but you won't see me :-)

Just a few hours ago, after being on a nice motorcycle ride, my wife and I stopped for afternoon coffee at a place just a few miles from our house. Next door is a pretty popular locally owned burger joint (not a chain), it's a beautiful day and the line is literally across the entire parking lot right up to the coffee house we stopped at. We grabbed our coffee in two minutes (no line)and a table outside to enjoy the sunshine. I commented to my wife, when I see lines that long for most anything, I'm never sure whether I should think that all these people have wonderful patience, which is a good thing typically, or how stupid can all these people be to spend a hour or more on a beautiful day standing in a parking lot....lol.

To each their own, but that isn't something I'm likely to do.
I was just about to talk about lines.

Time, to me, is the most valuable item on your vacation. If a popular attraction has a really long line that is barely moving, I immediately decide to skip that attraction, no matter how much I want to see it. The time I'd lose in line is just too valuable to me.

Some people are "check the box" travelers, and will wait 2-3 hours just to check a box. I would actually skip something as important as the Eiffel Tower if I knew I'd have to wait 3 hours to get up there. I'd rather take those 3 hours, grab a meal or dessert, sit outside and people watch. Or roam the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel