Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 03:27 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
200 posts and no one has yet to mention DISNEY! I absolutely hate it. I cant figure out why adults will return there year after year.
You're right - and I live down here! I have never taken my kids to The Haus of Mouse.

But they have been to almost every US National Park including Volcanoes (Hawaii) and Denali (Alaska).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 04:33 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Flying is typically not an awful experience.
I'll take it one step further: Flying is boring and monotonous and slightly uncomfortable, now deal with it like a grown-up. Be nice to the cabin crew, stay within the confines of your seat, don't crowd our little shared space with 27 different pillows and eyeshades and traveling socks and books and magazines and phone chargers and whatevertheheckelse, and for the love of all that's holy, stop fidgeting.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:56 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,103,423 times
People dress like dirty slobs when flying.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:08 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
I see the slob part more than the dirty part, and I get it. They're on vacation and going to be stuck sitting/sleeping in cramped quarters for hours, why wouldn't they dress to be comfortable? The era of dressing up to fly or go to the movies has long passed.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:39 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post

-Florida is one of the ugliest and least appealing U.S. states to visit.
There is a REAL Florida, and it's awesome, but it's hard to find

Old 10-05-2018, 03:06 AM

149 posts, read 104,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's okay to get a taste of home while on the road. Popping into a Subway or Burger King every once in a while is a nice treat of something familiar, despite many people rolling their eyes that someone would dare eat there while traveling in overseas foodie destinations.

I remember stumbling upon a Taco Bell after almost a month in Korea, I almost had tears in my eyes.

I lived in South Korea for four years. Never had any problems from eating in local restaurants which we did almost every day, but the one time I did get sick it was from a Taco Bell on the North Post of Yongsan Army Garrison in Seoul.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I find most landmarks look the same as in the picture, but what's the point of getting there to see the real one?
I did laugh when Karl Pilkington visited the Pyramids and all this litter was flying through the air and there was a major busy road right beside them.

23 Karl Pilkington Quotes That Prove Travelling The World Is Completely Sh*t - Mpora

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I like museums. I have spent many wonderful afternoons wandering through museums of various types. I go to art museums of different types, natural history, specialized history, etc. I love them all.
After the first couple of miles of looking through glass cases to see bits of chipped pottery or the like you lose the will to live. I also pay special reference to places who have a museum just to have a museum, the pencil museum, bakerlite museum, lawn mower museum or the national tuperware musuem. It becomes kind of depressing after a while.

Also don't forget to look in the gift shop for all those great bargains.

At the end your head is spinning and you just want a nice pint in the pub, which is probably what you should have done in the first place.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-05-2018 at 04:44 AM..

Old 10-05-2018, 04:45 AM

Other pet hate - Stonhenge, is a ring of large stones with a gift shop.

Harry Potter is another - the amount of over priced Harry Potter merchandise in Londonis ridiculous, it's only surpassed by tacky flags, post cards and depictions of the Royal Family or some Guardsman in a plastic case. Actually tourist gift shops are another case in point with their tacky overpriced nonsense.

The queus to get your photo taken at the Harry Potter platform are ridiculous, and it didn't take Warner Bros long to cash in, by opening a Harry Potter studio tour at Leavesden near Watford. Yet more ways to fleece tourists of their money, with over 16's paying a standard charge of £41 ($54 USD) and a children ticket costing £33 ($43 USD).

Tickets | Warner Bros. Studio Tour London

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-05-2018 at 05:01 AM..

Old 10-05-2018, 05:58 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
You're right - and I live down here! I have never taken my kids to The Haus of Mouse.

But they have been to almost every US National Park including Volcanoes (Hawaii) and Denali (Alaska).
While I do like Disney World, I also really enjoy national parks. I think it's great you've taken your kids to them and no doubt given them an appreciation for nature and knowledge that you don't need to be in front of a damn screen all the time to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'll take it one step further: Flying is boring and monotonous and slightly uncomfortable, now deal with it like a grown-up. Be nice to the cabin crew, stay within the confines of your seat, don't crowd our little shared space with 27 different pillows and eyeshades and traveling socks and books and magazines and phone chargers and whatevertheheckelse, and for the love of all that's holy, stop fidgeting.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I see the slob part more than the dirty part, and I get it. They're on vacation and going to be stuck sitting/sleeping in cramped quarters for hours, why wouldn't they dress to be comfortable? The era of dressing up to fly or go to the movies has long passed.
Personally I'm glad we don't have to dress up to fly. We should be allowed to be comfortable.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioFalcone View Post
i will start

Bus is better than trains
I take it your American as not many people in Europe or Asia would agree with that statement.

I also take it you are talking aboit Journey over several hours and are referring to a bus such as a Greyhound.

In terms of a train you can get up walk along the train, go to the buffet car, have a hot or cold meal, enjoy a beer or a glass of wine, use your phone, tablet or lap top.

There are numerous toilets and facilities and the train goes two or three times the speed of the bus.

The bus option involves you beng cramped in a bus with a trolley service serving a few snacks and sandwiches, one toilet, dodgy wifi on a service that is much slower and is subject to traffic jams.

I would take the train over the bus any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel