Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 06:01 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Some people are "check the box" travelers, and will wait 2-3 hours just to check a box. I would actually skip something as important as the Eiffel Tower if I knew I'd have to wait 3 hours to get up there. I'd rather take those 3 hours, grab a meal or dessert, sit outside and people watch. Or roam the streets.
The Eiffel Tower looks better from the ground anyway. You can get a smashing view of Paris from the Sacre-Coeur steps, which are free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 06:30 PM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The Eiffel Tower looks better from the ground anyway. You can get a smashing view of Paris from the Sacre-Coeur steps, which are free.
Sorry Larry, can’t agree. That view from atop the Eiffel Tower is to die for.

I didn’t expect to have to walk up to the first level though.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:49 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sorry Larry, can’t agree. That view from atop the Eiffel Tower is to die for.

I didn’t expect to have to walk up to the first level though.
I spend a lot of time on airplanes, so views from tall buildings are less exciting now than they were when I was 16. Vive la difference.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:25 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times
We didn't find Florence all that interesting, despite friends and relatives who rave endlessly about it. It was ok, but definitely not our favorite city in Italy.

Baku, Azerbaijan, was by far the most interesting city we've been to. Popular opinion was that we would hate it and that we were crazy to go there. But it was amazing; not at all what most people imagine it would be like.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:33 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
What is 1 unpopular travel opinion you have?

It is not at all necessary to visit New Orleans.

Been there a number of times. Our hotel room was broken into and electronics stolen. Had a guy run at me in Jackson Square and try to snatch my purse. Preservation Hall is an enormous rip-off and both staff and musicians have no qualms about being verbally abusive. A band member stopped playing and yelled at me in the middle of a performance. I still don't know why.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Never go anywhere in the summer except high Alpine ski resorts or the opposite hemisphere of where you are.

Why the heck do people travel in summer? Most hotels have bad air conditioninog that you can't set to a comfortable level. In some places, especially in Europe, they have no A/C AT ALL! With my home A/C, I can set it to 60 degrees and chill out and sleep comfortably at night.
Summer prices are also high in most typical tourist destinations. Why would you want to sleep in a stuffy, expensive hotel room where you toss and turn all night because the sheets are soaked with sweat?

Why don't people save up their vacation for January? January is a cheap month. If you live in the northern USA or in Canada, it is also a cold, dark, depressing, post-Christmas blahs, month. Why not travel in January? Anywhere is better than the northern US/Canada in January. Even Europe is quite mild. The best time to visit Europe is JANUARY!
What month do you like traveling in?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:58 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I agree.

Several of our family members pride themselves on being able to "travel light." Couple pair of underwear and they are good to go. No checked baggages for these smug traveling companions.

Then they borrow stuff from the rest of us the whole trip -- toothpaste, lotion, sweatshirts, socks, tank tops, ...
I am a notorious over packer. The one time I tried to pack minimally, I regretted it! I didn't have enough clothes to choose from. My options were severely limited which frustrated me.

Now, I do try to pack smart, but I don't so much try to pack minimally.

In April '19, I'll be headed to Rio for seven nights. For this trip, I will try to challenge myself. I'm going to attempt to put everything in a backpack!

...Really, though. Who needs lots of clothing in Rio??

Old 07-31-2018, 01:07 PM

For me, it's not really unpopular, as I know a ton of like-minded women, but...

I prefer solo traveling much more than traveling with a companion. You can't beat the freedom of solo traveling. Also, I can confirm that you meet many more people when you travel by yourself.

Solo traveling--as a woman, especially--is truly life-changing!

Old 07-31-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Never go anywhere in the summer except high Alpine ski resorts or the opposite hemisphere of where you are.

Why the heck do people travel in summer? Most hotels have bad air conditioning that you can't set to a comfortable level. In some places, especially in Europe, they have no A/C AT ALL! With my home A/C, I can set it to 60 degrees and chill out and sleep comfortably at night.
Summer prices are also high in most typical tourist destinations. Why would you want to sleep in a stuffy, expensive hotel room where you toss and turn all night because the sheets are soaked with sweat?

Why don't people save up their vacation for January? January is a cheap month. If you live in the northern USA or in Canada, it is also a cold, dark, depressing, post-Christmas blahs, month. Why not travel in January? Anywhere is better than the northern US/Canada in January. Even Europe is quite mild. The best time to visit Europe is JANUARY!
The Caribbean is cheap in the summer. Yeah, yeah, there's the potential for hurricanes, but the risk can be mitigated with good travel insurance.

I'm getting an insane deal at a resort in Turks and Caicos in late August.

Also, yes, it'll be hot. Very hot. I do prefer it unusually warm, though. A few years ago, I spent a week in Cancun in July ...and it was fine.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:22 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,102,741 times
Houston is the anus of Satan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel