Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 02:56 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Not true. Good steak and BBQ there. The Ouachita Mountains and the buttes in the panhandle are neat too. There's also the Oklahoma City Memorial, plus two college towns with good football programs. And Rocklahoma is an nnual music festival where people can still hear actual rock music with guitars, which Top 40 radio refuses to play anymore.
There are about two days worth of interesting things to see in OKC. Besides the OKC Memorial, there’s a good art museum (a must if you like Chihuly), a decent state history museum, and the very good National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum. The state capitol is good of its kind, and Myriad Botanical Gardens are fine.

Wasn’t knocked over by the food there, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:57 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
I'm not that much of a beach person, or resort person really. I know I'm not alone in that, but it seems like a plurality of travelers see vacation as fitting into a set niche, and go about their travels in that exact manner. Nothing wrong with knowing what you like, and even really with the beach at all, but I find it's nicer to find places that have a more diverse offering, even if they aren't directly tourists places, that cater to tourists first. In fact, I think you find better services and attractions in places/cities, or areas of cities that cater to locals as much or more than visitors.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM

107 posts, read 67,475 times
Kids and babies should fly on planes with other kids and babies, and adults should have a choice to fly on adult only flights. I'd be happy to pay extra for this. I totally get that kids and babies should be able to fly. I just wish it wasn't on the same plane as me. I could give you a list of reasons why having to do with health, stress, noise, discomfort, etc.

I also am against dogs and cats on planes due to allergies and potential noise. Only a TRUE certified companion animal should be allowed and passengers should be told before getting on the flight and be GIVEN another flight if they have reason not to want to fly with pets (i.e. allergies, asthma).

Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Places that are considered "too touristy" are actually where the most people want to go.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:19 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I prefer checking my luggage... who wants to lug a heavy suitcase through the whole airport, especially if you have to change planes along the way? Not to mention trying to get them through security! As long as the important stuff (like meds, wallet, phone, and a book) is in my carry-on, I'm willing to take a chance with losing/delaying the rest. And honestly, in all the years I've been traveling by plane, my luggage has NEVER been permanently lost; just delayed a little once or twice.

Also, I prefer cheap motels like Motel 6 to fancier places, even if somebody else is footing the bill. I tend to stay up very very late with the TV on, plus I'm a smoker - so I'm much more likely to be allowed those things, and not annoy any of my "neighbors" in a cheap motel. And I hate B&Bs for basically the same reasons. In fact, I usually refer to them as being like "staying at grandma's house."
I don't smoke, but otherwise I could have written this post (can't rep you again).

Also:

Paris is overrated. Utah is under-appreciated.

I like bus tours - more than happy to let someone else handle driving and navigating in an unfamiliar place so I arrive where I need to be and on time without stressing, and can enjoy the scenery in the meantime.

I generally agree with earlier comments about off-the-beaten path vs. tourist traps.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:46 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you live somewhere cool?

I got the opposite reaction when I went to Iceland this summer. "Isn't it cold there? Why would you want to go somewhere cold in the summer? Why not go to the beach??". Because its 102* at home, and a few weeks away from the intense heat sounds amazing.

Not that I don't like the heat, but its nice to get a break from it.

No. I live in the NE and get all of the seasons. It gets hot and humid in the summer. But I like hot and people seem annoyed by this.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:47 PM

997 posts, read 711,025 times
We should feel sorry for the cruise ship workers because the greedy cruise lines simply can't afford to pay them well; therefore we should happily pay $14.50 per day per person gratuities AND tip cabin steward, waiters and bartenders and others for doing their job.

OK you may say you need to tip extra for extraordinary service; I agree; but everybody in contact with customers on the ship these days seems to have their hand out looking for a tip. Travel NCL and you'll see every service you have to pay a gratuity added on.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Don't get me started on cruise ships....why people want to be crowded into a steel cage and overeat and drink is quite the sociological study....

Since we are being "unpopular" here, I can say it. Many people center their travel plans around bathroom availability. This probably has a lot to do with Cruises....you can always "go" back on the boat. Many of us (myself included) are unlikely to go to places known for disgusting bathrooms...or worse, none at all.

My best travel experience cost us $10 a week for a room - the GF and I spent 3 weeks in Jamaica living with the locals...this was in 1970 just as they laid the first electric poles into Negril. We spent every evening with the Rasta on a hill overlooking the sunset...a place one could only reach by walking over volcanic formations. We prepared our dinners from local fruits and veggies and discussed the state of the world.

This is actually a pic of our host shredding veggie in his "house" - that's the bed behind him and, yes, no walls.
Attached Thumbnails
What is 1 unpopular travel opinion you have?-rasta.png  

Old 07-23-2018, 05:27 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times
Being the first American someone meets is probably the best experience I've had travelling. Not sure if its unpopular or not.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 PM

830 posts, read 487,184 times
I think Paris is over-rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel