Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times

Advertisements

Ecotourism doesn't exist. There's nothing eco about travel that begins with creating demand for more airliners by buying a ticket, regardless if the destination is a solar powered shack with a composting toilet, locally sourced produce, etc. somewhere in the world.

Low impact travel may be a better term for those who try to be conscious and sparing in these matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Lots of ways to 'eco-tour', such as tagging on Eco trips to your required business travel, Can still hop on a freighter, or train. Or... brew your own fuel for your $35 car.

Walking / biking / hitch-hiking (yes I still do that with commercial trucks, that are going my direction anyway...)

Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
And people shouldnt get ripped off at national parks. I heard Yosemite is 30 $..
However, $80 for a National Parks annual pass is a screaming deal considering what you get for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post

Also:

Paris is overrated. Utah is under-appreciated.
We did the Utah National Parks loop in June, and they're so underappreciated that people will wait an hour to get on the shuttle bus into the Zion Canyon in the summer when private cars aren't allowed there. Utah has done a really excellent job of marketing their 'Mighty 5' to a global audience to the point where even more limits on daily guests are in the works to keep them from getting loved to death.

I'd rather stay in a chain hotel with good CH&A and wifi included than the quaint little inn in the travel guide.

There is no virtue in packing so light you're doing laundry in the sink every night in your hotel room.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:11 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Although I'm sure some people here agree with me, an unpopular opinion I have is that I LOVE traveling by myself. I like going with tour groups where I get to meet people as well as solo road trips. Staying in a hotel by yourself is heaven on earth. The places I want to go don't appeal to a lot if people and I'm not waiting around to find travel companions.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:43 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Oklahoma is the exception.
I went to my first rodeo in Oklahoma, allowing me to say "This isn't my first rodeo" for the rest of my life :-D

Old 07-24-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It can make people more educated and cultured, but I think it depends on how you travel. If you're just staying at five star resorts stuffing your face with fancy food and drinking gallons of wine and don't actually see much outside of the resort, you're not truly experiencing the destination.
I do both.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:51 AM

Unpopular opinion: There is much to see and do in flyover country. I learned more in my visit to Elkton, Kentucky than I ever thought possible. There is a Jefferson Davis monument there, half the size of the Washington Monument. I loathe slavery, but the history of the Confederacy is still worth learning about. They also have good food (about $5 for dinner) and ice cream, and the locals will give you accurate directions even if you have a Yankee accent and an expensive car. I could cite many more examples.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Unpopular opinion: There is much to see and do in flyover country. I learned more in my visit to Elkton, Kentucky than I ever thought possible. There is a Jefferson Davis monument there, half the size of the Washington Monument. I loathe slavery, but the history of the Confederacy is still worth learning about. They also have good food (about $5 for dinner) and ice cream, and the locals will give you accurate directions even if you have a Yankee accent and an expensive car. I could cite many more examples.
I fly over flyover country because I don’t have the time to drive. My business travel has always been to places with high tech.

I don’t think I have any unpopular travel opinions. I have the typical road warrior view of business travel. I want the travel part to be as efficient and painless as possible. I try to break free and see things when I travel. If I’m doing the same trip repetitively, I tend to spend less time exploring. Much of my adult life, my leisure travel was ski trips.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:32 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,895 times
My unpopular opinion; I hate New York City.

As an aside, I absolutely loved the Utah parks, especially Arches. I am very grateful to the marketing campaign that brought them to our attention. My husband announced that he wanted to go back to the US and "drive around" Having previously done that for over twenty weeks over a few trips, I was thrilled that we could come up with such a great destination that was new to us.

Another fairly unpopular opinion; I prefer a Holiday Inn Express to a trendy b&b. I tend to find that the room is quieter, the lights allow reading and the hot water is hot.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 AM

3,503 posts, read 2,665,554 times
A cruise ship. I’m open for anything else, in any part of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel