Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 AM

1,347 posts, read 946,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Although I'm sure some people here agree with me, an unpopular opinion I have is that I LOVE traveling by myself. I like going with tour groups where I get to meet people as well as solo road trips. Staying in a hotel by yourself is heaven on earth. The places I want to go don't appeal to a lot if people and I'm not waiting around to find travel companions.
On this note... I would rather just pay extra for a single room (if not travelling with my spouse), than share a room with someone, particularly someone I might not be acquainted with, just to save money.

I also don't share the obsession with cutting costs and getting the cheapest [whatever] at every turn. I don't travel often, so it's not going to kill me to get overcharged for a drink or a tour here and there. I'm on vacation to have a good time, not to stress over bargain hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 07:17 AM

988 posts, read 1,018,754 times
Awesome thread. A few of my unpopular opinions:

-Portugal is a more interesting country to visit than is neighboring tourism powerhouse Spain. Lots of great things to see in both countries, but I like Portugal better.

-I like Athens much more than I like Rome. I've visited both (Rome twice for extended periods) and think that Rome is overrated and Athens is underrated.

-Beach vacations bore me to tears. I love places like Hawaii where you can spend 2 hours at the beach and also visit Pearl Harbor, Buddhist temples, museums, etc. But sitting in an all-inclusive resort with just a beach and a pool is torture for me.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:16 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I went to my first rodeo in Oklahoma, allowing me to say "This isn't my first rodeo" for the rest of my life :-D
Maybe it's my bad.

Having lived in Texas for years, rodeo is nothing new to me. Even tornado isn't unique to Oklahoma.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybe View Post
Kids and babies should fly on planes with other kids and babies, and adults should have a choice to fly on adult only flights. I'd be happy to pay extra for this. I totally get that kids and babies should be able to fly. I just wish it wasn't on the same plane as me. I could give you a list of reasons why having to do with health, stress, noise, discomfort, etc.

I also am against dogs and cats on planes due to allergies and potential noise. Only a TRUE certified companion animal should be allowed and passengers should be told before getting on the flight and be GIVEN another flight if they have reason not to want to fly with pets (i.e. allergies, asthma).

Ditto for both. Have significant animal allergies, so that's a problem for me -- have a doctor's note just in case it happens.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:23 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
My unpopular travel opinion ... I LOVE visiting tourist spots.
Not at all interested in "off the beaten path" trips.

And like others have mentioned about beach trips being boring ... I feel the same way about the woods. I'll take my nature in small doses, thankyouverymuch. I'm certainly not going to spend my whole vacation in a tent in the middle of a forest. I'm okay with going to a scenic overlook, taking a few pictures, and then moving on to something else.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I dislike renting someone else's condo / room / house / airbnb or its ilk when on vacation. Often times those rental units have sh!tty furniture and lousy bed that guarantees back pain. I would rather pay more and stay in a hotel room.
I agree.

Having tried numerous airbnb rentals, I have given up on them.

Rarely are the beds decent. Usually, the place is only marginally clean. Often the photos are deceptive.

Once reserved a "studio apartment with a window" in NYC.

Turned out to be a room in a building basement that looked like a bomb shelter. Long concrete hallways.

The "studio apartment" turned out to be a room with a bed, small refrigerator, and a microwave. The bathroom was down the hall. The wire mesh glass window was ten feet up and looked out at ground level concrete. I have no idea how I would have gotten up there if needed. The floor space was no more than 2 ft. by 3 ft., barely enough room to get my rollaround inside. Seriously claustrophobic space.

When I pointed out that this was not what the photos looked like, she explained that it was her brother's place and she was just watching it for him. I said I couldn't stay and wanted my deposit refunded.

Argued with Airbnb for awhile. When I threatened to turn them into the housing authority as it wasn't even a legal bedroom, let alone a studio apartment, my refund appeared. But this was several days after the time for reviews had passed.

Bay area "quaint cottage with a garden" turned out to be a DIY disaster with uncomfortable beds. The garden was overgrown with weeds.

We've rented homes and condos through VRBO with success, however.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
I'll go with beaches are boring.

One more: I don't ever go to the zoo while on vacation. A pet peeve of mine is when I say, "hey, I'm going to London/Washington, DC/San Francisco/Denver/Nashville: What did you enjoy doing there?" and invariably someone says, "oh, you have to go to the zoo. It's awesome!" A zoo is a zoo is a zoo. Why on earth would I fly across the country to go to a zoo??

Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
A cruise ship. I’m open for anything else, in any part of the world.
Husband's friend when on bachelor party cruise. He said it was a nightmare.

Later, when reading of a cruise that had gone awry, stuck out in the middle of the ocean, people peeing in the elevators, ... he commented that this was no different than the cruise he was on.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:28 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Look for the newest hotel you can, doesn't matter if its a Super 8, Fairfield Inn, Hilton, or 5 star property.

I've stayed in too many worn out hotels from ostensibly nice brands and been disappointed since the property was so worn out. I've stayed in many Fairfields or Choice properties that are decent. At the end of the day, most of my travel for work is one or two nights, usually a late night check in, checking out the next day.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I agree.

Having tried numerous airbnb rentals, I have given up on them.

Rarely are the beds decent. Usually, the place is only marginally clean. Often the photos are deceptive.

Once reserved a "studio apartment with a window" in NYC.

Turned out to be a room in a building basement that looked like a bomb shelter. Long concrete hallways.

The "studio apartment" turned out to be a room with a bed, small refrigerator, and a microwave. The bathroom was down the hall. The wire mesh glass window was ten feet up and looked out at ground level concrete. I have no idea how I would have gotten up there if needed. The floor space was no more than 2 ft. by 3 ft., barely enough room to get my rollaround inside. Seriously claustrophobic space.

When I pointed out that this was not what the photos looked like, she explained that it was her brother's place and she was just watching it for him. I said I couldn't stay and wanted my deposit refunded.

Argued with Airbnb for awhile. When I threatened to turn them into the housing authority as it wasn't even a legal bedroom, let alone a studio apartment, my refund appeared. But this was several days after the time for reviews had passed.

Bay area "quaint cottage with a garden" turned out to be a DIY disaster with uncomfortable beds. The garden was overgrown with weeds.

We've rented homes and condos through VRBO with success, however.
My experience with Airbnb has been much better than yours, maybe I am just more cautious.

But I agree that upscale brand name hotels are almost always better than Airbnb rentals. Only 1/3 of my past bookings with Airbnb were so good that I wanted to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel