Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 08:38 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This brings up another of my contrarian opinions. I hate bringing back stuff. Shopping is not entertainment for me, and the majority of stuff available in most places is similar to the stiff you can buy at home.

My stuff purchases typically total less than $50.
I can assure you that the majority of the food products in Europe are not available in the USA. When I go back to the US I always bring several bags full of canned tomatoes, pesto, olives, oils, vinegars, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:55 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times
Quote:
This brings up another of my contrarian opinions. I hate bringing back stuff. Shopping is not entertainment for me, and the majority of stuff available in most places is similar to the stiff you can buy at home.

I am with you, fishbrains. We rarely go shopping while traveling, although we have an extensive refrigerator magnet collection of the many places that we have visited. So I'm always sure to spend $4 to $6 on a nice magnet.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:02 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I am with you, fishbrains. We rarely go shopping while traveling, although we have an extensive refrigerator magnet collection of the many places that we have visited. So I'm always sure to spend $4 to $6 on a nice magnet.
LOL. Us, too. I can always spring for a magnet! That's the only souvenirs we allow ourselves. I would like to bring more back, but some of the flights within the country will kill you on checked baggage, even though the international leg allows 2 each.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:32 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Duty-free is the worst. There are so many airport shops people must be buying handbags, clothing, perfume, luggage, jewelry, toys, souvenirs, alcohol, etc. but I'm not one of them. SOMETIMES we could get a good price on Bombay Sapphire, DH's favorite gin, but now I see that a lot of the scotch whisky, another favorite purchase, is made specifically for the airport market- meaning you have no idea what it would cost in your local liquor store. I just find an airline lounge and hide out there till the flight is ready to board.

If I really like a place I buy a charm for my charm bracelet. I also brought back 3 bottles of whisky you can't get in the US from my last trip to Scotland. OTOH, I just took my 4-year old granddaughter on an overnight to Chicago and the poor kid didn't get a single Made-in-China souvenir of Chicago. No hat, teddy bear, T-shirt.. just lots of great pictures and memories!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:38 PM

501 posts, read 359,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
200 posts and no one has yet to mention DISNEY! I absolutely hate it. I cant figure out why adults will return there year after year. (I dislike ESPN too, but that's another topic)

Likewise, Las Vegas. Buildings and fake experiences that the visitors lost money has built. Total lunacy.
My boss is spending time at Disneyland this week.

His wife loves the Disneyland Experience. Guess, they have their Halloween show at night going on !

Old 10-23-2018, 03:39 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:

These days about all I bring back are shot glasses.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:54 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
These days about all I bring back are shot glasses.
Mine is magnets, that way I can reminisce every time I go to the fridge.

I usually bring back some type of yummy snack food I discovered there, but, that is about it.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I can assure you that the majority of the food products in Europe are not available in the USA. When I go back to the US I always bring several bags full of canned tomatoes, pesto, olives, oils, vinegars, etc.
I travel to Europe quite a bit, and am quite familiar with the regional foods available. My personal preference is cheese, and I always bring some back. But 4-6 blocks of cheese doesn’t require additional baggage.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:20 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
I never brimg anything. People used to ask me for rocks, but last time a few pebbles were confiscated leaving Somalia, prohibeted as "natural or archaeological relics."

Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
I travel to Europe quite a bit, and am quite familiar with the regional foods available. My personal preference is cheese, and I always bring some back. But 4-6 blocks of cheese doesn’t require additional baggage.
Great! I also bring back cheese and butter as well. Bringing back bottles of oil, vinegar, champagne, boxes of chocolate, cans of pesto, olives, tomato paste DOES REQUIRE ADDITIONAL BAGS! Also since I fly biz class, I get additional weight and bags for free. Why would I waste that space? I stuff my bags to the rim and enjoy my olive oil and pate for months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel