Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:27 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
True. Walk down the Las Vegas strip sometime.
Tell it, brother. That's the most harassment I've ever experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
As a first step in planning any trip abroad, check the Travel Advisories and don't go there. I wouldn't advise you to travel anywhere while America is under it's current president.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:58 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Whoa. We must have been in different parts of Florence. In 6 days, I didn't see Gypsy One there.
For sure I never felt in any danger!

It's good to be so tough, though!

Italy is probably the least safe developed country.
The Gypsies that harassed me look like this.
"Ghost pickpockets" - or white-dressed beggars? - Thiefhunters in Paradise

In hindsight, they probably tried to dress like interesting characters to attract tourists. They would approach you and shake hands with you, meanwhile, steal your wallets or beg for money.

I kind of overreacted because they looked like terrorists trying to assault me. I encountered them near Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore when I was dining outside.

I also visited Cinque Terre and Milan on my trip. Cinque Terre was very safe, Milan was comparable with Cleveland.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
As a first step in planning any trip abroad, check the Travel Advisories and don't go there. I wouldn't advise you to travel anywhere while America is under it's current president.
Not a fan of Trump.

But if Trump were that dangerous, the least safe place would be America.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
These are for sure in the Philippines when you visit a poor village.
1. People will stare at you and some may shout at you "Hey Joe!"
2. When availing services like tour guide or carriage, expect to pay extra as a foreigner. Another thing i don't like in my country, when they are not prepared how much to charge you for their services, they will just respond to you "it's up to you!".
3. Some kids will will ask money, if you give one kid, the rest of the kids will follow. Just say no. Some of these kids are managed by a syndicate, but they are harmless.
4. When you are driving and caught up in the red light, many vendors/people will offer their services, just say no.

generally, these are hassles but you'll be fine. You won't be attacked or harassed unless you encounter a retard.

My advise, stay in a safer areas or find a local to join you.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:57 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Milan was comparable with Cleveland.
I had to laugh at that- when we were there DH joked that he thought we were back in NJ! (Well, they DID have a great cathedral and the Castello Sforzesco.)

Old 02-05-2019, 04:35 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Cuba is hardly a third world country.
We had a thread about this once, and it's a definition that's hard to pin down so almost impossible to state with any authority that a given country is third world. However Cuba is fairly low on the Human Development Index and is definitely one of the poorer countries in the world. I'd label it third world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Why on earth not? Would you personally mistreat tourists from Russia or Venezuela because of the actions of their leader? Neither do folks overseas.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Attacked???

Old 02-05-2019, 05:04 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Attacked???
Yes, it's one of the most frequent uses of United States Marine Corps. They often deploy a Marine expeditionary unit to storm the beaches in support of cruise ship passengers who wish to come ashore and shop for beautiful hand-made trinkets. The local savages have been known to have beach defenses consisting of pill boxes, tank traps, land mines, etc. deployed across the beaches but the mighty US military always prevails and it's inspiring when that first landing craft door drops open on beach to witness the Bermuda-shorts clad tourists slathered in sunscreen triumphantly walking across the sand.

At this point it becomes primarily a defensive operation with third world locals staging guerrilla warfare, attacking the tourist supply lines to sever critical alcohol deliveries and attempting to interdict the van rides to the waterfall and scenic lookout. Sometimes the artillery noises interrupt the native dancing show as well.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 PM

502 posts, read 391,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It depends on where you go. There is a lot of poverty and you will be close to it in some countries, and you may be approached for money. But being attacked? No.

The scariest country I have been in was Honduras but it had little to do with poverty. There are (or were) lots and lots of guns in the country from America's proxy war with El Salvador. It was downright unsafe to walk the streets at night in most towns. We did, not knowing, and were told by locals not to do that but to take a taxi everywhere. Caracas was almost as scary.

The most trouble I have had in many countries are "touts" who are aggressively trying to drum up business, often for taxis and tours. They will try to swarm you at airports and train stations, sometimes offering to carry your bag. You have to not talk to them and just firmly walk away, and never, ever let someone "help" you by carrying your stuff. Read up ahead of time on where to find official taxis and go there. The worst thing to do is to look lost or uncertain, the touts pick up on that and will be all over you. Just act like you know where you're going and ignore them and they'll go bother someone else.

Streets in many poor countries are full of kids begging. You shouldn't give them money but I often did. Just don't ever pull out a wallet to do so. Keep spare change in a pocket.
Caracas? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel